The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-08-2021, 08:43 PM

Default Martin Repair

Ive been through quite an annoying stretch of repairs on a brand new om-28. I will spare you guys the background and multiple mishaps by Martin certified tech and Martin themselves. I would like an opinion on the following: Martin replaced the nut on my guitar under warranty in September and in doing so lacquered over the sides of the nut. I expressed concerns over this and was told this was normal. Now a few months later i have lacquer chipping off the nut on one side, i can chip off more with fingernail. Then on the other side i have what looks like lacquer chipping that hasnt made it through all layers, i cannot feel any edges with my fingernail. In my opinion this is poor quality and I dont believe they should have lacquered over the nut as wood and the bone will expand at different rates. Thoughts?

3 pictures; scroll down
https://imgur.com/gallery/JRwvmG6

Last edited by Bungalowbill; 02-08-2021 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

I'm not sure if putting lacquer on the ends of the nut is normal for Martin, but it's not going to hurt anything. It'll just chip off like you're seeing now, purely cosmetic. As long as the guitar plays and sounds good it's not something I'd worry about.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Without knowing the full backstory, the pictures certainly make it seem like it wasn't a properly executed repair. Was the nut lacquered in place? That would make any future work on the nut a major pain and most likely result in further chipping. If you can feel the the chips in the lacquer while you're playing it goes from a cosmetic issue to a playability problem -- something I hope they would make good on fixing.
instagram
Old 02-09-2021, 10:55 AM

I'n right curious about how I'd feel chipping lacquer on the sides of the nut while I was playing.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:22 AM

Martin has always finished the neck with the nut installed. I rarely finish the ends of a replacement nut.

Last edited by John Arnold; 02-09-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:50 PM

That's normal for Martin. To remove one you have to score a line with a razor blade then tap it out. I don't like finished nuts either but so it goes. I would suggest you just deal. It's not that big of a problem, in fact it really isn't a problem. If it really bothers you you could probably remove the finish yourself or take it to a tech who might ask $25 bucks for such work.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:10 PM

Thanks for the opinions thus far, i appreciate it
Old 03-16-2021, 07:50 PM

Sorry to hear your had issues with getting work done to your Martin . It really is hard to find good help these days. I've learned to just not let things bother me anymore.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair