The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylinderBear View Post
Just wondering.. what are the differences between all those CAPOs?

I have the NS PRO and it works great. People said different pressure will make a difference in tune, but I tried tighten the CAPO and it doesn’t make any difference in my tuner..
The differences are irrelevant AFAIC. I buy capos because I like buying capos.

I like capos, I like to try out different capos. They're a comparatively cheap source of fun to me. Some people spend their money on smoking, booze, cars, motor-cycles, guns, gambling, women, fancy clothes, gym-subscriptions, yadda yadda. I do none of those, but I buy capos, for no other reason than that I like them, and I like using different ones as the mood takes me.

And, best of all, my wife has no objections to my 'little secret'!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-20-2019, 12:28 AM

We'll then just jump on the Thalia bandwagon. Great capos unless you have grip/strength issues. I like them better than any others I've tried and have picked up 4 over the past year. You can find one to match virtually anything.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 01-20-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
It certainly looks interesting, but about twice what I want to pay, unfortunately.
I had considered Thalia, but I was a little concerned about reports of early failure and guitars being damaged. I guess that was a few years ago while they were beta-testing.
The G7th Heritage is incredible.

The Thalia is horrible. Clunky for no good reason and marked up the neck on one of my guitars when I parked it behind the nut when it wasn't in use. I really regret buying that capo. I also had to use a pad that wasn't supposed to fit my radius just to make it work.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I have several Shubbs (four original design, one 5-string partial, one 3-string partial), Shubb FineTune F1, G7th Heritage, G7th Performance 2, and two Planet Waves NS. I've recently purchased the full set of G7th Newport capos (6-string, 5-string partial, and 3-string partial) and I love them - I believe my capo-journey is over!

So, I have a G7th Heritage and a Shubb FineTune F1 that are redundant, and I'd be happy to sell in the UK. If you're interested in either (or even both!), Andrew, shoot me a PM.
Thanks very much, I'll give that some thought.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Andrew. No problem if you're not interested, I'm not desperate to sell, but I'm not using either very much and I'd be happy to let them go to a good home. Your choice, I'm good either way.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 01-20-2019, 10:56 AM

I too have many capoes and bought for the same reason as Jaybee, a relatively cheap source of fun.
A year or two Ago I bought a number of Paige capoes and have one (stored behind the nut) of each of my main gigging guitars (with 1 3/4” nuts), disappointingly, they’re just too small to go round the necks of my 1 7/8” nut guitars.
I am very happy with them, and the bonus of having them always on the guitar, and not getting lost, is another plus point.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
Get something that will be fun to experiment with, give you new possibilities.

Try the Shubb Partial . I think it is model C7. Like tuning to dadgad but you leave your guitar in standard tuning. Drone, 1 and 2 string fretting. Can be combined with a regular capo.

Not expensive.
The problem with this capo (and other partial capos) is that, while it does give you an open DADGAD-like tuning, anything higher than first position is still in standard tuning. This could be either an advantage or a disadvantage.
With a capo that gives a dropped D-like tuning (EBEAC#F#) it's nice to not have to modify chord shapes to accommodate the lowered bass string. The disadvantage is that it's impossible (or very difficult at least) to play the F or F# on the low E string.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 01-20-2019, 11:38 AM

I have a drawer that I call "The Museum of Failed Capos" and it contains all the many discards in my search for a better way to do the capos job. Sadly, it includes the Shubb Finetune capo ($75), which is beautifully built but whose traditional cradle design is just too fussy. In the end, I have stuck with the Shubb C1 and I have them on all my guitars. They work the best, quick to change, don't pull you out of tune, well built, and they are unobtrusive when they are on the neck. I think I could have bought another guitar with the money I have spent on all these capos, but that is how you learn...
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 01-20-2019, 11:40 AM

Don't buy one the next three times the urge hits and then get an Elliott.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-20-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
The differences are irrelevant AFAIC. I buy capos because I like buying capos.

I like capos, I like to try out different capos. They're a comparatively cheap source of fun to me. Some people spend their money on smoking, booze, cars, motor-cycles, guns, gambling, women, fancy clothes, gym-subscriptions, yadda yadda. I do none of those, but I buy capos, for no other reason than that I like them, and I like using different ones as the mood takes me.

And, best of all, my wife has no objections to my 'little secret'!
Do you have an old Hamilton spring loaded capo from the sixties or the Sabine capo that was popular in the eighties?

Here's the oldest one I own. It came in the case of an old yard sale guitar. I have never put it on a guitar, but can't bring myself to throw it out.

-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 01-20-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

I was a Planet Waves NS Pro capo user for years and I still have my original one and use it if I need to capo way up high. But recently I switched over to the Shubb FineTune F1. I was interested in the yoke-style capos but the G7 Heritage and Elliot offerings were a bit on the high end of ridiculous in price for me. I thought about the Paige offerings but found a Shubb used in the classifieds for a great price so bought one of those. I liked it so much I bought another one for full price direct from Shubb. Any side-tightening models always required fine tuning tweaks but with the Shubbs I never find it drifts. The down side to the Shubbs is that they only work to about frets 5 or 6, depending on your guitar's neck width. I almost never capo above 4 so it's not a big deal for me. D'Addario bought out PW and they still make the NS Pro but the blade is much more narrow and I didn't like it at all. The Shubbs are extremely well made and high quality and they also look great and have a very small footprint. I have one on each of my Emerald guitars hanging on the wall.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Many years ago (20?) I purchased a brass (I think it's brass) capo called Victor. It was the "poor man's" idea to the Elliott. I read recently that this design/company was bought up by one of the larger companies (Dunlop maybe?; or Planet Waves). I still have my old one. I think it works great. When I check the pitch of various strings with it on, it registers as very accurate.

I have also read where the newer versions of the Victor contain a lot of plastic and folks don't like them as much. So you might try eBay for one of the older ones.

Speaking of older, I only recently got rid of my old Hamilton....... I still have my old wrap around style of colorful spandex-like material and the rubber pad - but that rubber is now petrified.

I agree there is something very tantalizing about capos... I own many. And yes, one of the beautiful things about having so many is that your partner doesn't mind it as much as chasing yet another guitar.......

We need a digital Museum of capos...........

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 01-20-2019, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Don't buy one the next three times the urge hits and then get an Elliott.
I had an Elliott McKinney Hybrid which was **OK**. I sold it when I got my G7th Heritage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHJim View Post
Do you have an old Hamilton spring loaded capo from the sixties or the Sabine capo that was popular in the eighties?
No on both, sorry. In the '60s the Hamilton was unobtainium for a kid in the UK- difficult to find, and way above my apprentice-pay-grade. I was using a pencil and an elastic band back then!

Never heard of the Sabine.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 01-20-2019, 01:11 PM

Here in Canada a G7 costs ~$175.00. For me-I'll struggle with a Shubb. It's about $35 and that's a few sets of strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion