The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2019, 05:24 AM

I've had 3:
A Goodfellow from 1976 (excellent guitar; my first good acoustic)
a Falstaff from the mid 80s (one of the worst acoustics I've had)
an Oberon from the late 70s (really nice).

They were built like wardrbes in the 80s and sounded about as responsive, or at least that was my experience. Fylde were also making snooker cues at the time so perhaps there was some commonality - my Falstaff would have made a better snooker cue than guitar.

I have no idea what more recent ones sound like but friends tell me they're very good. A company that has been going over 40 years will have some ups and downs for sure.

An old friend still has my 1976 Goodfellow and it's lovely to revisit it when I meet him.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 01-20-2019, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

I recently played a support spot for the Carrivick Sisters, and I heard a Fylde, a custom based on a Falstaff, played by Charlotte Carrivick. It was a stellar-sounding guitar, certainly the equal, to my ears, of Laura's Leo Posch slope-shoulder Dread.

I didn't get to play either of those guitars (even though the girls very kindly invited me to play them both) - time was pressing at the end of the gig - but I sure wish I had.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-20-2019, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyM View Post
I've Fylde Lysander which I purchased in the UK in the mid seventies, pretty rare model due to Maple back and sides with a Spruce top. Never wanted another acoustic since, although I've had a few beaters over the years.

I came across another old Fylde on the Fylde newsletter recently. It belongs to Donal Clancy and it was his fathers Liam Clancy of the Clancy Brothers. I believe he got the guitar from Archie Fisher. Archie is one of my favourite singers and a great player, born in 1939 he is still touring. His two sisters Ray and Cilla both excellent singers sadly Ray is no longer with us.

The model looks like an Orsino and is going back to Fylde for some TLC.

The Fylde website has also introduced me to fabulous guitarist and composer Will McNicol. I believe he is a member of this forum but surprisingly i've never seen anything of his here, here's one...

That Wil McNicol video is awesome, the guitar sounds fab, and of course, that also has to do with his technique. Sheesh, that's purty. That guitar is really set up perfectly to get such tone. How awesome it would be to be able to play like that!
Old 01-20-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
I believe one of my personal favorites, Robyn Hitchcock, has a couple of Flyde guitars, although his playing is in a somewhat different style. He's not known for his chops but it's still fine stuff:

Plus one for Robyn and his Fylde(s)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion