The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-20-2019, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I still think a bead is the best revision of By's creation. It's round, comes in different materials, and seats well in a round hole.
That's a terrific idea. Cracking of beads would be my only concern, if they're brittle plastic or some other material. Should be easy enough to sort out what's durable enough. Plus then you can order like 1,000 and never run out again.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Just what I have on my 2 ukes: string-through bridge, and a bead to keep the string in place. It should work fine!
The main problem with such a «pinless» bridge and strings with ball-ends seems the access from the soundhole...

Last edited by Tøf; 01-20-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:19 PM

You convinced me to try it anyway. I dug up 6 washers that will work just fine. I'll install them next string change which won't be for a couple of weeks. I might even do a short video to see if it can capture a tonal difference. I'm one of the believers that bridge pins alter tone, though subtle compared to a saddle. I changed the tusq pins to buffalo horn on the X30 and can notice a small difference.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:02 PM

I'm going to give this a try too on my x10. I've had a really hard time palm-muting for some reason. Up to this point, I've attributed it to pickups but maybe its the pins! We'll see...
Old 01-21-2019, 10:06 AM

IMHO changing the string break angle over the saddle will have more of an effect than the pin material or anchoring method. So be careful when your making changes to not flatten out the string break angles. You also do not want too much string break angle which puts undue forward pressure on the saddle. I've got a set of files from Stewmac and usually cut my own string slots/ramps.

This isn't my video, but it shows what I'm talkin bout.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 01-21-2019, 09:50 PM

very education, especially the bit about the ball sack. See 2:11 of the video.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:29 PM

Any suggestions on the size of nut or washer to use? I was thinking plastic but I wonder if that will deaden the vibrations a bit and affect sound.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:28 PM

How about carbon nut, if they do exist?
Old 02-08-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyprof View Post
Any suggestions on the size of nut or washer to use? I was thinking plastic but I wonder if that will deaden the vibrations a bit and affect sound.
I'm still of the opinion that the string contact with the saddle is what counts, and the rest is beyond the reach of mortal ears.

Would be a cumbersome but interesting experiment, trying a bunch of different stoppers. But as vulnerable to subjectivity as any.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:14 AM

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...93&postcount=6
Old 02-09-2019, 04:34 AM

Yes! I really ought to take a guitar string with me to Lowe's some day and see if I can dig those up.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
Yes! I really ought to take a guitar string with me to Lowe's some day and see if I can dig those up.
I did go to three different Lowe's equivalent, the chains in my part of the country, and did not find aluminum spacers there--so had to search online and they were hard to locate, though not expensive. You may have better luck at the Lowe's near you.

I based by decision to track down the aluminum because others had already tried a host of different washers/spacers and recommended aluminum as having the best overall properties. Not to reinvent the wheel, I just followed their lead.

murrmac123 long ago put together a specialty kit for these spacers and for a time sold it retail, but finally stopped sales even though he still says it is one of the best systems around. But sales were limited as most people tend to stay traditional.

Eventually I searched to find similar spacers on my own. Now, I would choose an even a smaller diameter and thinner than I did at the time to lessen any chance of bumping into the K&K clones in my OF660--but what I have work just well enough for my guitar.

The website for this item only has text now, but I saved a complete image of it from that time and will post it in a moment.

BTW, in my earlier post, I gave a link to another thread. In that thread, you will find the specifics of the washers I purchased. I would buy from the same company today but but would chose a bit thinner and smaller diameter spacer--that would be perfect.

Last edited by ac; 02-09-2019 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:11 AM

Old 02-11-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyprof View Post
The following is the size I will be using when I try it. The size of this washer is perfect and something I had kicking around. Just be aware whatever you decide to use that the outside diameter is just as important. If it's too big you won't be able to fit all 6.

[IMG][/IMG]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber