The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-31-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
I pretty much do the same thing all summer at festivals and jams, had a RS for a couple of years and they play nice but never got the volume to cut enough. I am seriously looking at a McPherson Sable and a second good choice I think would be a RS dreadnought. I think either. one will work as they are close to traditional size and more traditional looking.
What Rainsong model did you have? In my experience, every Rainsong I've played has been louder and more projecting than I would expect the same size/shape wooden guitar, and the couple dreadnought models I've played have been cannons. Not only that, most of the Rainsong line has such clear, clean tone that I would expect a flatpicker to cut right through in an ensemble. Classic or Concert series DR would be a monster, Hybrid would be a bit mellower.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
If your a flat picker playing bluegrass leads then really dread is the only way to go for volume and projection over mandolin and fiddles etc.
The Rainsong dread would be a good choice but the only CF guitar, that is always above the standards and pretty much perfect as hands can make is McPherson. Their quality is above reproach, cost a bit more but you know the old saying.
Byudzai has a McPherson that he never plays since he got his X30!
Old 12-31-2018, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
Classic or Concert series DR would be a monster
Had them both and they were!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-09-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
What Rainsong model did you have? In my experience, every Rainsong I've played has been louder and more projecting than I would expect the same size/shape wooden guitar, and the couple dreadnought models I've played have been cannons. Not only that, most of the Rainsong line has such clear, clean tone that I would expect a flatpicker to cut right through in an ensemble. Classic or Concert series DR would be a monster, Hybrid would be a bit mellower.
I had the Shorty G and it was a great guitar but no match for mandolin or banjo, I liked it for CF reasons at festivals and for rv travel light and small but just didn't have enough poop! I am currently thinking about a McPherson Sable I have heard and read good things about them. I know no other is built with the cantilevered neck and precision. But for now my Tony Rice is doing the job!
Old 01-25-2019, 05:28 PM

Default Rainsong HDR100N2

Hi everyone. I just wanted to post a follow up. I ended getting the Rainsong HDR1100N2. I have had it a few days and I am enjoying it. It is quite a bit brighter than my Collings and it is louder. Overall my Collings still sounds better to me, but I understand the appeal of carbon fiber now. Thanks for all the recommendations and discussion.

Eric
Old 01-25-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisdad View Post
Hi everyone. I just wanted to post a follow up. I ended getting the Rainsong HDR1100N2. I have had it a few days and I am enjoying it. It is quite a bit brighter than my Collings and it is louder.
Eric
Ditch the 80/20 Elixirs that it came with and put some Phosphor Bronze on her, that will take care of the brightness issue.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber