The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-26-2022, 11:54 AM

Default Key change to ban ?

As we know, fret intervals on guitars are the result of some compromise and no regular guitar
always produce perfect intonation, so that some chords may sound badly sometimes.

We could help with adjusting tuning but what about key change in a piece ?

It sounds to my ears such a change sounds bad sometimes : Am I right ?

Are there key change that could cause some problems an audience would hear or it is just in my own ears ?
Old 07-26-2022, 08:01 PM

Hmm, theoretically no. That's exactly why equal temperment evolved. To be able to play in any key and they would all sound equally not perfect.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

For me it depends on how artfully the change is arrived at. Case in point: can we go from E major to G major? Check out New Kid in Town.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 07-26-2022, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
For me it depends on how artfully the change is arrived at. Case in point: can we go from E major to G major? Check out New Kid in Town.
And The Last Resort.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

E maj to G maj shouldn't work because the B note moves from being the 5th to the 3rd of the scale. In just intonation that would be "ouch" but in equal temperament both are equally "Meh!". So you should be OK on guitar.

Please note that, in this context "ouch" and "Meh!" convey a technical level of musical complexity that only a person with doctorate in classical music composition could possibly understand.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Yes, you are correct about key changes not sounding so good. But that supposes that the audience is actually paying that close of attention. And getting the audience to pay attention is usually why there is a key change in a song. They are just another musical gimmick.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-27-2022, 02:14 PM

Well, thanks guys for your kind answers.

So moving from E to G is an artistry challenge…

May I take as a rule of thumb that the same apply to a key change
of a step and a half, say from C to F and F to A ?
Old 07-27-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
As we know, fret intervals on guitars are the result of some compromise and no regular guitar
always produce perfect intonation, so that some chords may sound badly sometimes.
You have a misunderstanding here. Assuming a guitar with proper intonation, by using equal temperament ALL chords are equally in-tune (or out-of-tune depending on how you look at it).

There should never be chords that 'sometimes' sound out of tune. If that happens, then either the strings are NOT in tune, or the intonation is poor, or the player is causing some notes to be sharp due to technique issues.

If certain key changes/chord movements sound odd, it has nothing to do with equal temperament. It tends to be cultural rather than absolute.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-27-2022, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Gordon is technically correct. All chords on guitar are equally in (or out of) tune.

But that key switch you mention of C to F (which is two and a half steps, rather than a step and a half) is one of those natural key changes that works.

If you tuned all the strings on your guitar to a C note and played a tune on one string in the key of C against the other strings acting as C drones then it would sound OK. If you then switched that melody on the same string to the key of F against those C drones it would also work.

This is the fundamental behind dance tune "sets" in Celtic countries. And a few Appalachian fiddle tunes do the same key switch mid-tune, such as Ebenezer or Over the Waterfall.

So there are some key changes that sound more "natural" than others despite, as Gordon rightly says, all the chords on guitar being equally in tune.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 07-27-2022 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Assuming a guitar with proper intonation
But (and I'm going from a vague-ish memory here, so I hope somebody can back me up/correct me) isn't it the case that most guitars aren't even properly intonated? Due to the nature of strings lengths/diameters/neck geometry etc., we still need to compensate even more. My understanding is that a slanted and compensated saddle only gets part of the way there, and unless you also have a compensated nut and/or some kind of fan-fret thing going on, you guitar won't even quite be correct with equal temperament.

If that's true, then I guess some keys could sound a bit more "off" than others.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:27 PM

Listen to some of the old Big Band tracks with vocals. The singer rarely sings in the same key as the band plays before the singer starts. The change is made with a short bridge section which takes everyone to the new key in comfortable steps. You can do any key change like that. Even on Guitar.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:47 AM

Quote:

The Beatles changed key from G to Bb in Here There and Everywhere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdcSFVXd3MU
Listen out at 0:56. They did it with a quick change to an F chord instead of D (on "want her").

Poco changed key from F# to A in Rose of Cimarron, with no preparation at all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiDNlCyHp0I
Listen out at 0:49. You think that sounds bad? IMO it sounds terrific.

Both these songs get back to the original key via the relative minor. I.e., in the Beatles, the Bb major becomes G minor, before returning to G major. In the Poco, A major turns to F# minor before working its way back to F# major.

Quote:
C to F is up a 4th, 5 half-steps. F to A is up a major 3rd, 4 half-steps.

C to F is a common enough change (especially into the bridge of a song), because the scale only changes by one note. An example from the Beatles (again) is From Me To You, where the song starts in C, and the bridge ("I've got arms....") modulates to F via Gm-C7. Then back to C via D7-G7. (That's a real old-fashioned jazz/country-style bridge.)

F to A is a little rarer, but you hear the same change (C major to E major) in Jackie deShannon's Needles and Pins - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSbM_Zmx9kA. At 1:18 the G chord (V of C major) drops to E major. But then it descends to D and C, making you not quite sure where it's going, before the B major leads you out into E major at 1:33. The song then stays in that key to the end.

The Pretenders' Kid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbC8JltxSq8 - does much the same thing. At 1:35, a G chord - this time at the end of the bridge - leads to the E major guitar solo, and the song stays in E major from that point.

Last edited by JonPR; 07-28-2022 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:45 AM

Thanks again guys !

I made a mistake : I wanted to name C to Eb or D to F.

Anyway, all your interventions brought some interesting thoughts to me.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hi maw mow

There are not any recommended key changes which we need to avoid. Adapt, perhaps, but not avoid.

Every guitar has the potential to be intonated properly and pretty closely to equal temperament. Almost none arrive that way out-of-the-box. And even when well set up there are notes which do not sound in tune.

And most listeners (including performers who play and sing) don't freak out of a few ¹⁄₁₀₀₀ half steps (or even 3-4 cents).

Weight of strings, height of action, how hard we fret the notes, the acuracy of the fret work during construction, wear-n-tear (age), etc all affect intonation. It's going to be more noticeable with a solo guitarist than with an ensemble, or band…especially when singers are involved.

And the inconsistencies are more noticed (not necessarily noticeable) because of the accuracy of modern clip on tuners & strobes.

My practice is to play and sing to my heart's content changing things as freely as I need to when adapting pieces for playing and singing. Have fun! This is music not a lab experiment.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-28-2022, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Deal with it!

I (used to) play Dobro. Some years ago, Sally Van Meter told me "flatten the (two) B strings".

On 6 string guitars, as I tend to work out of mainly 1st position G or C shapes I tune the guitar to0 the Notes of a "bluegrass" G, like this :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write