The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-21-2022, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Stuck on Hesitation Blues

I really want to learn this song. I am well less than a year into my fingerstyle journey, and recently disconnected from my teacher.

I got tabs for what is represented as Jorma's version. So I have watched several vids of him performing the tune. and I try to follow along with the tabs. The problem (for me, not for him) is that he plays it great evey time, but differently every time. So it is nigh impossible for me to drill down into a basic version of the tune, if there is such a thing. The tabs are helpful in providing the chords and "notes." But, often I just cannot figure out the rhythm. I have watched a few lessons, but everyone plays it differently, so they are interesting, but of limited help.

I have also listened many times to the Rev do it, and his version (the original) bears little resemblance tp the tabs I am looking at.This is the first time i have run into this issue. Usually, I can find a vid of a tune that is darn close, if not identical to the tabs (Ex: Van Ronk's Green. Green Rocky Road).

So, I am wondering if it is time to take the training wheels off and just spend more time with the changes rather than trying to learn a note by note version of the tune, as I have in the past. I have a decent musical imagination from decades as lead tenor in an 18 piece jazz band, and other ensembes where I improvise. I know what sounds good, even if I do not know why. So I can, within my limited skillset, riff over the chords to a certain extent. But, doing that takes me away from the original, or at least a faithful interpretaion of the orginal, like Jorma's. I do not want to create "variations" on Hesitation Blues. I want a faithful recreation.

I acknowledge that I may be biting off more than I can handle, something that I do to myself. Sometimes, it works out for the best. Sometimes it's crash and burn time. Where it ends up is where the mystery lives.

Appreciate any guidance, as always.
David
Old 05-21-2022, 03:10 PM

Well I can't help, but where can I find these tabs (supposedly) of Jorma's version? I'd love to learn it properly. I've got my own hacked-up version of it from riffing on the chords, but it's nothing like the real thing.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
I really want to learn this song. I am well less than a year into my fingerstyle journey, and recently disconnected from my teacher.

I got tabs for what is represented as Jorma's version. So I have watched several vids of him performing the tune. and I try to follow along with the tabs. The problem (for me, not for him) is that he plays it great evey time, but differently every time. So it is nigh impossible for me to drill down into a basic version of the tune, if there is such a thing. The tabs are helpful in providing the chords and "notes." But, often I just cannot figure out the rhythm. I have watched a few lessons, but everyone plays it differently, so they are interesting, but of limited help.

I have also listened many times to the Rev do it, and his version (the original) bears little resemblance tp the tabs I am looking at.This is the first time i have run into this issue. Usually, I can find a vid of a tune that is darn close, if not identical to the tabs (Ex: Van Ronk's Green. Green Rocky Road).

So, I am wondering if it is time to take the training wheels off and just spend more time with the changes rather than trying to learn a note by note version of the tune, as I have in the past. I have a decent musical imagination from decades as lead tenor in an 18 piece jazz band, and other ensembes where I improvise. I know what sounds good, even if I do not know why. So I can, within my limited skillset, riff over the chords to a certain extent. But, doing that takes me away from the original, or at least a faithful interpretaion of the orginal, like Jorma's. I do not want to create "variations" on Hesitation Blues. I want a faithful recreation.

I acknowledge that I may be biting off more than I can handle, something that I do to myself. Sometimes, it works out for the best. Sometimes it's crash and burn time. Where it ends up is where the mystery lives.

David
If you want to do a "faithful recreation" then it would be a disservice to go outside of what Rev Gary did. I'm thinking you want to play something beyond that, though.

Hesitation Blues has been re-configured so many times by so many players that I think you have free license to make it your own. Jorma's versions are great as interpretations, but you are 100% correct that he very seldom does it the same way twice.

Sit back and get comfortable with it and then play it the best you can, making it your own in the process. Nobody's gonna throw the poser card on you.

I personally realized that I was never going to be able to duplicate someone else's style, so once I realized that it became much easier to give myself license to play a tune or song as I heard it. I have a good friend who can play Jorma's stuff lick for lick, but that would never be anything I'd strive for.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholder View Post
Well I can't help, but where can I find these tabs (supposedly) of Jorma's version? I'd love to learn it properly. I've got my own hacked-up version of it from riffing on the chords, but it's nothing like the real thing.
If you REALLY want to copy Jorma's version, then you can find it among the many lessons he does for the Homespun series:

Jorma's Homespun guitar series

It looks like Hesitation Blues is taught on lesson 1.

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-21-2022 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholder View Post
I looked at several, and this is the set that I have been using, at least as best as I can decipher it.

https://www.guitaretab.com/k/kaukonen-jorma/23896.html
And this is the inimitable Rev in all his glory. I would not even try to learn his riff. Even if I did, ain't no way to do that justice. Some things you just got to let be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_AJ...nel=busessuck1

Good luck, mate.

David

Last edited by Deliberate1; 05-21-2022 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
If you REALLY want to copy Jorma's version, then you can find it among the many lessons he does for the Homespun series:

Jorma's Homespun guitar series

It looks like Hesitation Blues is taught on lesson 1.
Cool. thanks. I just might treat myself.
David
Old 05-21-2022, 04:18 PM

And David - be aware that the Rev. played things differently every time. From what I have read, it drove his students crazy. But he changed things up depending on his mood, the day, whatever.

The toughest thing to achieve on HB and many other songs in the genre, is the syncopation. And then, the embellishments are all over the place. I guess what I am trying to say is take the song in any direction you want to go (eventually) and that will be ‘your’ version.

I have just started on David Hamburger's site, “Fretboard Confidential,” and that is his approach. Learn the framework, then add some embellishments, then some vamps and turnarounds.

In my case, it has taken many years to get to a point where I have a big enough toolkit of add ons that I can throw into the song, but it’s at the cusp of starting right now. Darn, it’s a long journey!

Best,

Rick
Old 05-21-2022, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
And David - be aware that the Rev. played things differently every time.

Rick
Rick, as always, I am obliged for your input.
There surely is an ethos with certain genres of music - usually those springing from the hearts and roots of "traditional" artists - which makes a song more of a construct than concrete. The fact that the Rev changed up the tune depending on his mood speaks to that reality. And makes it all the more challenging for the rest of us to hit that moving target. I guess, to the extent we are all able, we take it where we will, just as you say, and put our own stamp on it.
I, too, have been spending some time with David Hamburger's presentions. He teaches like I learn. Some say "he talks too much." As I see it, when he talks, he is giving you the how and why, and not just the what. I have not yet signed up, but plan to do so now that I have separated from my teacher. His productions are high quality, and his style is that of college professor who is able to synthesize so many concepts, but without the bombast.
Cheers.
David
Old 05-21-2022, 04:49 PM

I’m getting more use to David’s speaking style. There’s a lot of substance in every segment and you really have to listen, or replay it. His monotone doesn’t help. But I can see this site as pushing me forward. I also like the idea of working on one song through the month with weekly live sessions to help consolidate and answer questions. I’ll let you know in a few months how it’s working!
Old 05-21-2022, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
I’m getting more use to David’s speaking style. There’s a lot of substance in every segment and you really have to listen, or replay it. His monotone doesn’t help. But I can see this site as pushing me forward. I also like the idea of working on one song through the month with weekly live sessions to help consolidate and answer questions. I’ll let you know in a few months how it’s working!
Please do that. I'd like to hear how it is working out for you. But it sounds like a structure that would work for me. I find that I get 80% of the way on too many tunes, and then just move on. To do the deep dive on one for a month would work for me. I will, in the meantime, occupy myself with a zillion other musical things pulling me in a zillion other directions.
David
Old 05-21-2022, 07:39 PM

Pianist Cedar Walton said "if you gonna do someone else's song you best put a new dress on it" ...play a tune like you feel it
Old 05-21-2022, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Pianist Cedar Walton said "if you gonna do someone else's song you best put a new dress on it" ...play a tune like you feel it
I read that very quote here about a month ago, and have already had the opportunity to use it in conversation. It is a dandy. And if it was you who posted it, I am obliged. And for the sentiment.
David
Old 05-22-2022, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I really want to learn this song.

David
Absolutely that is what you need to do( play the changes), and also it's a song so sing it!!
That's what Yorma Kokonen and the likes of Rev Gary Davis did.
For songs like this tabs are usefull for learning someone else's technique and stealing their licks when you can't work them out entirely by ear but really that's not what your heros did, they played the song their way and if you want to have some fun do the same.
When improvising over the changes sing the words in your head to get the changes on the correct beat, that's all you got to do really.
Oh and really really important don't just listen to what other guitarists have done with this listen to stuff like Louis Armstrong's interpretaion.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

David
Hi David,

I've just looked at my cheat sheet for this song, it is "similar" to Jorma's but not identical.

This was a "pop" song released in 1916, and taken up by many and various jazz, blues, ragtime, and other folkies over the decades.
It is popular not because of the many (and varied) lyrics, but the twit that a simple tune - in C starts with a Vi and a iii chord.

...Am ....... E7 ....... Am ........E7
A nickel is a nickel, a dime is a dime
...Am ......... E ............ C ..................... C7
House full of kids, maybe none of them are mine
.............F ............................. C
(tell me) How long, do I have to wait?
....... G .........G7 ............................ C ...........C - C7-F -Fm - C - G7
Can I get you now, or do I have to hesi-tate

It is not a classical piece written note by note by Bach, or Brahms, etc. It's now a folk tune and can be played in any way you can/want.

I confess that I have issues with tablature as the seem to imply "instructions" rather than a guide.

Might I suggest tat you focus on the groove and the pretty basic, if unusual chord progression above then just add/subtract whatever you want, to make it your song.
That's whayt Jorm and Gary Davis, and Wizz Jones and a host of oter guys.

Here's a vid I made about this tune some time ago. It might be of help.

Speaking of Tablature, here's a log time contributor to the AGF making some astute comments about "the tyranny of tablature".

hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:27 AM

Quote:
I have watched a few lessons, but everyone plays it differently ...
There's a clue right there...
Quote:
I have also listened many times to the Rev do it, and his version (the original) bears little resemblance to the tabs I am looking at.
You mean tabs of his version? This one seems close enough (at least to the video it's referencing): https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab...s-tabs-2274233
Quote:
But, doing that takes me away from the original, or at least a faithful interpretaion of the orginal, like Jorma's. I do not want to create "variations" on Hesitation Blues. I want a faithful recreation.
But a "faithful recreation" of what?
Quote:
And this is the inimitable Rev in all his glory. I would not even try to learn his riff. Even if I did, ain't no way to do that justice. Some things you just got to let be.
Hold on, you just said you wanted "a faithful interpretaion of the original" - but now you "would not even try to learn his riff"? (Maybe I'm misunderstanding you... )

To be honest, it's not a hugely complex piece, not what I'd call a virtuoso display - intermediate, IMO.
That particular performance is very long, of course - he is live, not bound by recording limitations, and riffing on the theme to entertain his audience. I certainly wouldn't be learning all 11 minutes of that! (Even though it would make a good academic study...)

But the point here is this is folk-blues. The concept of "original" is beside the point. Would either of these takes be a true "original"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1fIv88rBlw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uRaewKbwug

I was going to say nobody wrote this down as a score, but actually that's not quite true: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesitation_Blues. So is their published sheet music the "original" version? No, because clearly they adapted it from some older tune. Where did Rev Gary learn it from? An older singer, in person? Or from a recording someone made from that sheet music?

Personally, this is the first version I ever heard (late 60s): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kmcYFh_uk0
McTell didn't copy Gary Davis note for note, he adapted it (from whichever of those recordings he heard). Same as Jorma did.
That's what I did when I learned McTell's version (way back in the late 60s) - made my own version of his version!

Now, I would be much keener (like you are) of going back to Rev Gary Davis's version. But which one of his recordings is the "original"? The oldest one? The one that's best played? The one with more verses or variants of the riffs? I would probably end up taking the bits I liked from the versions I could find.
I would definitely be ignoring any covers - as good as Jorma's and Ralph's are, I don't want to copy a copy.

Here's another resource:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsneo9wD0Hs

In short, just pick the version you (a) like most, and/or (b) think would be within your grasp technically.
(For me, it's been so long since I learned Ralph McTell's version - and I haven't played it in nearly 50 years! - I think I'm going back to one of the above shorter studio recordings of Rev Gary's and I'm going to transcribe that. If you're interested, I'll give you the tab when it's done. But it will be the version I like, maybe not your favourite "original". )

Last edited by JonPR; 05-22-2022 at 03:43 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write