The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM

Default Help figuring out these chords

Hey everyone, I'm trying to figure out what chords this guy is playing for the cover of this song he posted on YouTube. I'm thinking he has to have the capo on the 4th fret, at that point I believe he's playing the E major shape which would actually be the G sharp major, after that it would be an A sharp major then I believe he goes to a C but I'm not sure how he's playing that and I can't figure out the chord after that. Any help would be appreciated.

https://youtu.be/13I1y43m4zQ
Old 08-13-2022, 08:23 AM

I think he's using capo on 1 playing out of the D chord. I hear G & Bm & A chords in there too. The key is to always include the D (3rd fret, 2nd string) on every chord.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 08-13-2022, 08:28 AM

He's playing G#, A#, C minor, then A#. There's no way to tell if he's using a capo.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:30 AM

If people would simply video in landscape (widescreen) instead of portrait then we could see so much more. Bad form to video in portrait mode...

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 08-13-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
He's playing G#, A#, C minor, then A#. There's no way to tell if he's using a capo.
You can hear open strings ringing. That's how you can tell.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:49 AM

Learn the progression, then move it around in different shapes until you get the sound you're looking for. It's nothing but a strum, no sense to make it out to be more.

Here it is ... 4/4 time

4...|5...|6m...|6m.5.|
4...|5...|6m...|6m.5.|
4...|5...|6m...|6m.5.|
4...|5...|6m...|6m.5.|
4...|5...|6m...|6m.5.|
4...|5...|6m...|6m.5.|

ad nauseam ...
Old 08-13-2022, 02:55 PM

Hey everyone, I just want to thank you all for taking the time out to respond to my post figured it would be easier just to write one response to everybody instead of replying to everybody individually.

I'm definitely going to try out some of the progressions you all mention see what fits properly I just haven't had a chance to do it today. I definitely felt like I can hear the open strings ringing out too it didn't seem like he had a capable on there but as the one person who said if he would just have widened it out a little bit more I wouldn't even be here asking I'm sure I'd be able to pick it out but I'm not that good with my ear and figuring out the chords since I'm just learning the acoustic guitar coming from playing the bass.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComedian View Post
Hey everyone, I just want to thank you all for taking the time out to respond to my post figured it would be easier just to write one response to everybody instead of replying to everybody individually.

I'm definitely going to try out some of the progressions you all mention see what fits properly I just haven't had a chance to do it today. I definitely felt like I can hear the open strings ringing out too it didn't seem like he had a capable on there but as the one person who said if he would just have widened it out a little bit more I wouldn't even be here asking I'm sure I'd be able to pick it out but I'm not that good with my ear and figuring out the chords since I'm just learning the acoustic guitar coming from playing the bass.
I haven't bothered to determine what the chords are but did give a brief listen. My point to Bluemonk was that if the chord progression being played in the clip contains G#, A# then it seems to reason there was a capo because you can hear the open strings ringing. He was not playing closed chords. Likely capo at first fret.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:28 AM

I think he's tuned a half-step down, and playing in A (or E). The chord shapes (I'm pretty sure) are:

x-0-2-2-0-0 = A(sus2)

x-2-4-4-0-0 = Bsus4

x-4-6-6-0-0 = C#m7

0-2-2-1-0-0 = E

That's the intro anyway. His voice was annoying me, so I didn't listen any further

It's possible to play those chords in EADGBE with capo on 1, but you need different shapes, and it wouldn't be nearly as intuitive (and would sound different from what he is playing).

Last edited by JonPR; 08-14-2022 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Here's the detail :

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab...chords-4227163

Use the +/- to change key to whatever suits you.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12barBill View Post
I haven't bothered to determine what the chords are but did give a brief listen. My point to Bluemonk was that if the chord progression being played in the clip contains G#, A# then it seems to reason there was a capo because you can hear the open strings ringing. He was not playing closed chords. Likely capo at first fret.
I can hear those open notes too, that why I was confused as to what he's playing because it sounds like he's letting open notes ring out so I would assume that there was a capo on but having the capable of the fourth would make it sound too high. But the little bit maybe somewhere around a minute and 46 seconds that's when I can realize he's playing somewhere around the 5th and 7th fret but it doesn't look like he's barring anything.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I think he's tuned a half-step down, and playing in A (or E). The chord shapes (I'm pretty sure) are:

x-0-2-2-0-0 = A(sus2)

x-2-4-4-0-0 = Bsus4

x-4-6-6-0-0 = C#m7

0-2-2-1-0-0 = E

That's the intro anyway. His voice was annoying me, so I didn't listen any further

It's possible to play those chords in EADGBE with capo on 1, but you need different shapes, and it wouldn't be nearly as intuitive (and would sound different from what he is playing).
Lol.
Thanks, he's the only person I can find online that does a straightforward strumming pattern of this song I'm not that good where I can do finger picking like some of the other people who are covering this song.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Here's the detail :

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab...chords-4227163

Use the +/- to change key to whatever suits you.
I already looked on there that definitely goes along with the album, I'm just trying to figure out what this guy is doing in the video what shapes he's using because what he's playing is not going along with the album. He's definitely hitting a G sharp and a sharp a C minor and then I believe somebody else said back to the a sharp if I'm not mistaken because I'm hitting those root notes with this guy as he's playing it and they are spot on. I'm trying to figure out his shapes t for the chords he's playing to get the sound that he's producing.
My apologies for everything being spelled out I'm using voice to text on my phone as I'm trying to send these messages.
Old 08-14-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComedian View Post
Lol.
Thanks, he's the only person I can find online that does a straightforward strumming pattern of this song I'm not that good where I can do finger picking like some of the other people who are covering this song.
He has also chosen a different key, btw: a whole step down from the original, probably to suit his vocal range. (He sings OK, btw, I just didn't like his voice )

I.e. capo on 1 would have made the original key easy - using the same shapes he is using. But he's dropped it a whole step, hence the downtuning and no capo.

So if you want to play along with the original (in his style), use the shapes I gave with a capo on 1 (in normal EADGBE). If you want to play along with his version, you need to tune down a half-step.
Old 08-14-2022, 04:53 PM

Watch how he plays his G chord with 6th string/4th fret. It's capo'd at 1 in the key of D and all of the chords have a droning D on the 2nd string.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write