The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-02-2022, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD - Irvin SD Sitka/Ovangkol

Wayne had this SD available for several months. I believe it travelled with him to several guitar shows. Not to mention playing it himself while at home. Like many others who have yearned for acoustics for sale, I finally pulled the trigger. Boy, am I glad I did. This guitar is absolutely amazing - beautiful tone, amazing sustain and fabulous playability. Strum? Yep. Flatpick? Yep. Fingerstyle? Yep. Anywhere from light and sweet to volume to spare. It's one of the best guitars I have ever played. And I have played a bunch.

So if you are looking for a builder, give Wayne @ Irvin a look. One of the nicest guys you will ever talk to as well.

Jeff

Last edited by nwapoolguy; 06-03-2022 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2022, 07:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Nice guitar Jeff! Wayne builds them right. Good looking ovangkol as well.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 06-03-2022, 07:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwapoolguy View Post
Wayne had this SD available for several months. I believe it travelled with him to several guitar shows. Not to mention playing it himself while at home. Like many others who have yearned for acoustics for sale, I finally pulled the trigger. Boy, am I glad I did. This guitar is absolutely amazing - beautiful tone, amazing sustain and fabulous playability. Strum? Yep. Flatpick? Yep. Fingerstyle? Yep. Anywhere from light and sweet to volume to spare. It's one of the best guitars I have ever played. And I have played a bunch.

So if you are looking for a builder, give Wayne Irvin a look. One of the nicest guys you will ever talk to as well.

Thank you so much for your kind words here, Jeff. Any luthier on this forum, I am sure can identify with me, that it is always such a rewarding experience to have someone really connect to a guitar we have built. It is pure joy to be able to do what I do and I am very grateful to be able to do it. Seeing your post is another wonderful boost to keep me going, so thank you very much!!

my current guitars;
2014 personal build eir/cedar 25.4
2020 Irvin SJ eir/tunnel 13 redwood top 25.5

guitars I have owned;
1977 Martin D-28
2006 Tom Doerr Legacy Select
1956 Gretsch White Falcon
2011 Taylor GA3e
1967 Silvertone
1969 Stella Harmony
Old 08-07-2022, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Just want to bump this thread up in case someone is looking for a custom build. I would strongly consider Irvin Guitars. This one continues to amaze me. Just put a fresh set of Bluegrass D’Addario PB’s on and oh my soul, pure joy to my ears.

And you’re right Ryan, the Ovangkol is beautiful. Pictures don’t come close to doing it justice.

Jeff
Old 08-08-2022, 01:13 PM

My wife and I have been playing and promoting Irvin guitars since 2018.
We borrowed that very guitar when recording an EP.

That was (is) a gorgeous guitar - both visually and aurally. If we weren't committed cutaway fans, we probably would have purchased it.

We now have 4 Irvins between us, including a spruce + koa parlor that sounds like a full-sized small jumbo.

Wayne knows how to get his builds to sound consistently amazing. They don't all sound alike, but they all sound fantastic.

(Plus his neck carves are among the best I have ever experienced - playability is off the charts.)

Congratulations on a guitar that will likely inspire you for years to come!

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop