The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-26-2022, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I listened. The side edge of the pick is scraping along the windings of the wound strings.

You can adjust your attack so your fingers are perpendicular to the strings. I have had difficulty making this adjustment myself, so to compensate I rotate the picks on my fingers slightly to minimize side contact with the string. You can ease the edges of the picks with a wire brush. You can make sure the flat surfaces of the picks are polished.

You can also switch to brass, which tend to impart less scratchiness to the attack.
Over the years, I've found the easiest is to just bend/twist the "blade" of the pick a bit so that in your normal finger/hand position, it will be hitting the string straight on - perpendicularly. In combination with the above suggested changes, no more tic or rasp.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

An aspect, at least to me, about finger picks that I don't ever hear discussed is that finger picks do move around on my fingers a little bit. I've learned to deal with it and even have ways to move them back in place while playing, if need be. It depends on how hard I play of course. And I admit I get carried away at times. But then those are the fun times.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-27-2022, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
I have played with metal fingerpicks for 50 years. They do take getting used to and they will always sound like metal fingerpicks, for better or for worse.

Best picks I have ever tried:

https://www.elderly.com/products/acr...gerpicks-pair?

Review
https://acousticlife.tv/acri-fingerpicks-review/
I bought 2 sets and then I remembered later that I might have something similar and sure enough I had brass propiks. I tried them and they are what I wanted. Less noise and easier to form to my fingers. The ones from Elderly will be my backups. Thanks. I also have some Dunlop clear plastic that I will form to my fingers.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-29-2022, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
finger picks do move around on my fingers a little bit. I've learned to deal with it and even have ways to move them back in place while playing,
Well, I wish you'd tell me how you learned to deal with it! I can't get picks to stay put at all. My pick flew right off and landed inside my guitar last night. Had a devil of a job getting it out again. I managed in the end by means of a long thin skewer with blu-tack stuck on the end of it
Old 07-29-2022, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firenza View Post
Well, I wish you'd tell me how you learned to deal with it!
I can't really. It's all in the subtle nuances. Even picking without picks or flat-picks have allot of subtle nuances. I hate to dissect it too much for fear I'll screw myself up. My picks are tight but not too tight. Sometimes my hands feel a little bloated and sometimes not. Which means the position of the picks are not always in the same exact place on my fingers every time. There's perspiration that comes into play at times. Somehow, and I try not to think of it because it works, I compensate on the fly when my thumb pick moves off my placement a touch. If a pick gets way out of line in the middle of a tune, I may modify a lick here or there to hit a string or strings in a way to get it back in place. Like an upstroke with a thumb pick. Worst case scenario would be to find a spot in the tune where you can give yourself a split second to use both hands and put a pick back in place. A musical pause for example. Then jam them on a little tighter after the song and quit picking so hard. Strings are to be plucked not powered through.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-29-2022, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

I'm going to twist the finger picks a touch with a pliers and I thought about it and I think the best place to twist them is at the base of the pick, not the tip. True or false?

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-29-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I hate to dissect it too much for fear I'll screw myself up. .
Well, I can understand that. There's probably a lot of intuition involved. Will keep trying! Thanks Mr J.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm going to twist the finger picks a touch with a pliers and I thought about it and I think the best place to twist them is at the base of the pick, not the tip. True or false?
True - and unless you are using really heavy gauge picks, usually no need for the tools
Old 08-05-2022, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Two weeks into my thumb and finger pick education. It's frustrating, but there's a glimmer now and then of what things will be and I'm staying with them. Last night I was ready to throw the picks in the garbage and then I check the dates, I've only been at it for 2 weeks.

I'll just keep at it.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write