The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-26-2024, 05:02 PM

I went through quite a few mics before settling on either a Shure Beta58A or a Beta57A (or Beta56A which has the same capsule).

Why? Because they sound as good as any mics, are so common that it often what you will use anyway if someone else is supplying the mic, and because you can buy knock-off ball heads on eBay really cheap and keep it new and fresh smelling, even if you let other people sing on it.

Of the other mics, the Audix OM-5 was my favorite.

As compared to a regular SM58, the Beta58A has a neodymium magnet, so it is a bit louder. It is also more directional.

As is the case with the SM58/SM57, the Beta58A and Beta57A have the same capsule, just a different windscreen. But the Beta57A is as good as the Beta58A at handling plosives. I don’t really hear a difference between the them on vocals, but the Beta57A shape is slightly nicer when you mic a guitar.

The Beta56A is exactly the same sound as a Beta57A, but I like the ergonomics. I kind of like that it doesn’t come off the stand easily when you leave it between sets.

The other thing I do is have a couple of karaoke mic covers (I call them “mic condoms”) in my guitar case for open mics and guest appearances. I use one to cover the mic if I have any sign of a cold, or if anyone else on stage does.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Actually, it's an 835 with a tighter pickup pattern. Great if you're a handheld singer on a loud, feedback-prone stage. Less great if you play an instrument and sneak peeks while you're singing -- going slightly off-mic is very noticeable.
Exactly, just like the Beta 58 is an SM58 with a tighter pickup pattern.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:23 PM

I keep two and grab either one for gigs: a Telefunken M80 and a Senneheiser e935.

Both sound terrific. I found them used for about $65 each.

The M80 is supercardioid, which means (a) you have to sing straight into it, not off to the side, and (b) it will reject most stage sound other than your voice, which is handy in loud band or room.

They both need foam windscreens (not pop filters) to eliminate P-popping.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 04-28-2024 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkysings View Post
I prefer the Heil PR35.
Me too.

Louis
Old 04-28-2024, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Heil PR35 is good. Sennheiser e945 would get my vote. M81 may be a little higher priced but it's good too. Or Miktek PM9.
Isn't the 945 a condenser mike?
Old 04-28-2024, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

What a great list of suggestions. I have had many/most of those recommended. So many good choices.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt20dbl View Post
Isn't the 945 a condenser mike?
To hear it, you'd suspect it is. The 965 is a condenser mic. The 945 is a dynamic mic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification