The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-21-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Like Glenn, I switch to a short scale Gibson electric, .010 gauge strings, and the one with the closest action. I have NEVER played a guitar in my life with a better action that this one. The strings practically sit on the frets, with absolutely no buzzing. It is my baby!!!

That is a beauty! And in such great shape!!
For me nothing plays easier than a PRS…
Old 06-21-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
That is a beauty! And in such great shape!!
For me nothing plays easier than a PRS…
I wish I could get my PRS to play like my Gibson, and I own a wonderful (pre Stevensville Maryland factory) PRS 1994 Custom 22...

And the funny thing, I don't normally like low flat style frets, but the luthiers at Gibson just got it right with this L5s. It requires the the lightest touch to fret a note. And the multi-piece neck is the most stable neck I have ever owned. I set the truss-rod 7 years ago, and it hasn't moved since.

And it's not just this one, as I have another one that plays almost as good...

My PRS has taller chunkier frets...

and although I have them dressed and polished as good as possible, they just don't feel as comfortable as the L5s, and I spent a lot of time trying to get them there. It's the one thing that keeps me from loving my PRS because it has killer tone. Of course, it has has to do with personal choice, and what feels good to the player. I'm sure many people wouldn't like my L5s because they would feel the action is TOO low!!!

But the PRS sounds absolutely stellar!!! The original pickups were as bland as pickups could be so I had Wolvetone wind me a custom set for it. Well he knocked it out of the park with the pickups. It turned my PRS into a serious tone machine and choice of mine for live play over many really good guitars. I've played plenty new PRS guitars (and owned a SC245 with 57/08 pickups) and I feel his new pickups are way better than the original Dragons in my guitar!

In this demo I go through all the positions of the Wolfetones (Dr Vintage/Marshallhead) through the stock PRS five way switch and electronics...

and if you like dirty...

Last edited by rockabilly69; 06-21-2022 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 03:47 PM

When I get sore fingertips I can sometimes play my flat-wound electric bases. I fret the basses strings from a different angle, and they're fatter too. When it's sore joints and sore fingertips, there's aways the U-Bass with it fat low-tension nylon strings.

On electrics, low action doesn't preclude problems in that I'm addicted to string bending and other legato techniques that mean I'm pressing down. Higher, jumbo frets help a little.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-21-2022, 04:06 PM

Same here, reach for a full size acoustic bass or uke with double bass sound. I do the same in fingering also to avoid the road grooves after calling it a day on the 6-string acoustic steel and electrics.

Last edited by AfterViewer; 06-21-2022 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
When I get sore fingertips I can sometimes play my flat-wound electric bases..
I forgot about flatwounds. Two of my Gretschs have Thomastik flats that do feel very nice! I just love the feel of those strings, but bending, not so nice
Old 06-21-2022, 07:20 PM

I play any one of my guitars (strung with 13's) when/if my fingers ever need a break from mandolin.

Seriously my fingers just don't ever feel sore after playing any stringed instrument.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:23 PM

When my fingers need a break, I go for my J-45. It happens to be set up so well right now that it plays almost like an electric.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 06-21-2022, 09:24 PM

I am fortunate that all of my guitars are setup well right now. But the easiest to play is the Larrivee LV-04.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
When my fingers need a break, I go for my J-45. It happens to be set up so well right now that it plays almost like an electric.
I have a 2015 Gibson Custom Tri-burst 50's J45 that is a pleasure to play. Of all my gigging acoustics it's probably the easiest to play. My 1964 sounds better but doesn't feel as nice as the new one!
Old 06-21-2022, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I play any one of my guitars (strung with 13's) when/if my fingers ever need a break from mandolin.

Seriously my fingers just don't ever feel sore after playing any stringed instrument.
Consider yourself lucky!
Old 06-22-2022, 04:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
If my fingers looked like that I might spend a day at the piano.
My fingertips do look like that and I play my CEO7 or 000-18 for the short scale for a break.
Old 06-22-2022, 12:29 PM

DBW, playing guitar while watching hockey...

I'll reach for my Les Pauls with 9s on them (not 10s) to give my fingers a break. Most of my other electrics have 9s on them anyway so I'm good to go.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
DBW, playing guitar while watching hockey...

I'll reach for my Les Pauls with 9s on them (not 10s) to give my fingers a break. Most of my other electrics have 9s on them anyway so I'm good to go.
The Lightning are losing so I'm not going to watch the next game. Maybe if I don't watch they will win. Haha. I have 8's on my Telecaster for bending. I'll start playing that when I need a break as well.
Old 06-23-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBW View Post
The Lightning are losing so I'm not going to watch the next game. Maybe if I don't watch they will win. Haha. I have 8's on my Telecaster for bending. I'll start playing that when I need a break as well.
Lightning lost last night ... perhaps next game you should watch the game and go back to the heavier gauge strings
Old 06-24-2022, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Lightning lost last night ... perhaps next game you should watch the game and go back to the heavier gauge strings

Yes- good idea! Haha.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars