The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-07-2022, 06:36 AM

Post Martin 1937 Authentic D28 vs. other boutique brands

AGF Good folks,

Looks like the Martin Authentic series are in strong demand and liked by players a lot

Is there anyone from the boutique brands - Huss & Dalton, Collings, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz etc. - that may be a better or a strong candidate to compare against these authentic series (preferably with Madagascar Rosewood)?

Would love to hear your thoughts/ feedback or anecdotes, if any !!

Cheers,
V
H&D TDR Custom
Collings D1A | CJ Mh
McPherson MG 5.0 XP Cedar
Froggy Bottom Model K | SJ
Gibson: J-45 Banner Reissue
Taylor: 714CE Cedar | 717 BE
Martin Custom Shop: 0000-18 Sinker | D18 Sinker | D35 Wild EIR | D28AA 1937
Martin: D18 (1973) | D35 | J40 | D41 | 000-28 EC
Five River Guitar
Old 01-07-2022, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav.mittal View Post
Is there anyone from the boutique brands - Huss & Dalton, Collings, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz etc. - that may be a better or a strong candidate to compare against these authentic series (preferably with Madagascar Rosewood)?
In my opinion, any of those four brands you named. They all make superb guitars. Just depends on what you like.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

I had a Madagasgar Rosewood 1931 Authentic d-28 and I still have
a Kopp Madagasgar Rosewood AJ... both amount to the highest-end
most detailed guitars I've ever had.

We like to play and hear our guitars, but these expertly built guitars
are also jaw dropping to me to just look at... here's a couple of pictures
of the Martin...

Here's my J-35 ...

A few months ago there was a lady on Reverb selling her
Granddaddy's pristine J-35. I'm pretty sure it was a great
J-35, but it was real boring looking...

-Mike
Old 01-07-2022, 07:33 AM

I owned one until my shoulder went bad. It was a sweet sounding but powerful guitar. Be warned that some people don't like the graduated thickness of the neck, and if you're a singer/strummer this guitar puts out a lot of sound.

The other brands you mentioned make wonderful guitars as well, so it comes down to which sound you prefer.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-07-2022, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav.mittal View Post
AGF Good folks,

Looks like the Martin Authentic series are in strong demand and liked by players a lot

Would love to hear your thoughts/ feedback or anecdotes, if any !!

Cheers,
V
Martin Authentics are wonderful guitars. I think they have really upped the game with their Aged versions of select models. The finish is super thin, and playability wise they have a great feel to them — the fretboard edges being rolled as opposed to the typical sharp edge where the neck transitions into the fretboard is a game changer for player comfort.

The other boutiques you mentioned make great guitars and also tap tune/hand voice each top, whereas Martin does not. However, tone is very personal, as is playability. From a playability perspective, I like Santa Cruz the best out of the group of 4 you mentioned. I own two, and they are so responsive and easy to play, but don’t have the power of a typical Martin or Collings. They are more finesse instruments. So it depends what you want.

Good luck!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-07-2022, 08:11 AM

I am here to spy on this thread. So don't mind me. [emoji102]

Old 01-07-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanePeterson View Post
I am here to spy on this thread. So don't mind me. [emoji102]

Welcome indeed!
Chime in if you find anything exciting
H&D TDR Custom
Collings D1A | CJ Mh
McPherson MG 5.0 XP Cedar
Froggy Bottom Model K | SJ
Gibson: J-45 Banner Reissue
Taylor: 714CE Cedar | 717 BE
Martin Custom Shop: 0000-18 Sinker | D18 Sinker | D35 Wild EIR | D28AA 1937
Martin: D18 (1973) | D35 | J40 | D41 | 000-28 EC
Five River Guitar
Old 01-07-2022, 09:24 AM

I’ve got a Martin Reimagined D41 and it’s a GREAT example of the Martin sound. The best-sounding Martin I’ve ever played was a ‘37 D28 Authentic Aged, but I hated the neck on it. I’ve got an Aged Tone Bourgeois Vintage D with torrefied Banjo Killer bracing and it’ll match the ‘37 volume-wise, but it’s a different tone than the Martin. I found out through a recent thread, that my description of tone doesn’t match what a lot say about tone, but the Martin, to me, has a super warm tone and is Loud and my Bourgeois has a very dynamic, brighter sound. Both amazing guitars and if the necks were different, I’d own a ‘37 D28 AA.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-07-2022, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I am getting D-18 GAS and I have a tendency to go overboard when it comes to my guitars. I am totally confused by everything I have read about the different Authentics their bracing and necks. And, no, I can not go play one without incurring a large travel expense. The confussion has backed me off to looking at a possible recent D-18. Even then the reimagine thing vs a D-18 that is recent makes one question that also. Thanks Martin.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-07-2022, 09:35 AM

I recently acquired a Martin ooo-28 Authentic 1937, so not the D28 you are asking about, but maybe this will help. I also own a Huss and dalton TOM-R and a Collings OM2h baked. The Martin is fantastic. It is, in no way, inferior to the other 2. It's the best Martin I've ever played.

In my case, I have 3 different flavors and I really enjoy the variety. It really just boils down to what you are looking for and what your ears and hands tell you is the right direction.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I am getting D-18 GAS and I have a tendency to go overboard when it comes to my guitars. I am totally confused by everything I have read about the different Authentics their bracing and necks. And, no, I can not go play one without incurring a large travel expense. The confussion has backed me off to looking at a possible recent D-18. Even then the reimagine thing vs a D-18 that is recent makes one question that also. Thanks Martin.
Make your life simple, get your hands on a D-18 Golden Era. Fantastic guitars.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Brands like PreWar Guitar Company seem like their main competition now. I personally have really liked the Santa Cruz Tony Rice Pro Models I've played but they aren't really in the same league as the Martin Authentics. Since the SCGC TR Pros cost about double the money now.

John Slobod of Circa guitars builds one of the best Martin D-28 style guitars I've played.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 01-07-2022, 09:52 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I stayed away from the Authentics for years because virtually everyone I knew who had played/owned one hated the neck. Most ended up selling the guitar for that reason. But I finally took the plunge when I was offered a very nice price on a mint condition 2019 D-18 Authentic ‘39. And I LOVE it! The neck is very friendly compared to the 28s…maybe because it has a 1 11/16” nut. Sure glad I gave her a try.

Old 01-07-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
In my opinion, any of those four brands you named. They all make superb guitars. Just depends on what you like.
^^This.^^

I tend to prefer Collings, but that is just a personal tendency. I have owned a couple of Bourgeois and own a Santa Cruz. And have owned other fine guitars.

Sometimes I choose a guitar because it has a captivating tone (Goodall, Webber, some Bourgeois), sometimes I choose a guitar for balanced tone and good string to string separation (especially for a finger style guitar, like my Santa Cruz OM), sometimes I choose a guitar for volume (my Collings D2HG is great in a jam), sometimes the playability of a guitar is irresistible. Usually, it is a combination of several factors (especially when I have good guitar, but think I have found a better guitar…meaning the “better” one might be just about as good in two or three areas, but provide particular strength in an area that the “good” guitar might be noticeably weaker).

I don’t usually like Martins that have a significant mid-range scoop, or that are overly thumpy. But I have owned a Martin, and have come very close to buying some others….and the Authentics are strong contenders.

It just depends on the tone, feel, and volume you are seeking.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:39 PM

Well let’s see. I have boutique brands and the Martin 37 aged authentic. They are all different. When I play with others, especially in a bluegrass jam, it’s the Martin. It is powerful in a way none of the others can match. Best sounding D 28 around too. Playing by myself or just with a bass and whatever, I’ll use whatever other guitar I feel like. I love all the guitars own. If I only had one, it would be the Authentic. Note: all disclaimers apply.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bourgeois, collings, huss & dalton, martin authentic, santa cruz