The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2018, 12:47 PM

Default Wiping your strings down after playing?

I'm looking into general care for acoustic guitars, and read numerous places that you should wipe down your guitar strings after every use. But that got me wondering, wouldn't wiping down your guitar strings cause the fibers from the cotton towel (or even microfiber towel) to get stuck in the guitar strings?

What do you use to clean your guitar strings to make them last longer - or do you even bother?
Old 08-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

I've been wiping mine down years and never seen a fiber from the towels I use. If you use a nice microfiber one, I don't think it's gonna be a problem. And it has seemed to add a little to the longevity of the strings.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:53 PM

I wipe down the neck, body, and strings on my guitars when I've finished playing for the day...

If there's any negative results or downside for the strings, I certainly haven't noticed them..
Old 08-12-2018, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I've been wiping mine down years and never seen a fiber from the towels I use. If you use a nice microfiber one, I don't think it's gonna be a problem. And it has seemed to add a little to the longevity of the strings.

This has been my experience as well.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-12-2018, 01:00 PM

I wipe down my whole guitar before it goes in the case. Never seen anything but a shiny guitar after.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 08-12-2018, 01:10 PM

Workshop grade paper towels work just as well. Old socks are particularly good.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:11 PM

Clean and dry hands before picking the guitar up is more important than a wipe down after IMO.

I never wipe off my strings, only the back of the neck every now and then. Disclaimer: I love fresh strings, and don't mind changing them.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 08-12-2018, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
+1 ... same thing here.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 08-12-2018, 01:38 PM

Steel strings - I'd slide a portion of a thin cotton cloth (handkerchief) flat beneath the strings and then fold it over the top of the strings, sandwiching them. Then I'd use another cloth dampened in oderless mineral spirits and, while firmly pressing it into the folded over portion of the handkerchief, slide the hole thing up and down the board gently working the dampened cloth against the strings as I went. Amazing how dirty they get. That's before I started changing them every 2-3 weeks, or when the trebles began to lose their brilliance.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

My hands are fairly toxic with strings, so I make sure my hands are clean before I play, and I wipe them down, when I'm done with a microfiber cloth. But even then, I notice my strings sounding a little lifeless, so I use Music Nomad String Fuel, as well.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-string View Post
Clean and dry hands before picking the guitar up is more important than a wipe down after IMO.

I never wipe off my strings, only the back of the neck every now and then. Disclaimer: I love fresh strings, and don't mind changing them.
The way I look at it......for what I've paid for the two main players they should hold up to my handling. Probably sounds ignorant to a lot of folks on here. I'll wipe them down occasionally. I think I will before the days out now that this has been served as a reminder.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-string View Post

That's my mantra as well.
Anyway, most PB strings last me at least a dozen hours of playing time and I own four acoustics. That is except for the Martin Titaniums on my J45. Those were just put on a couple of weeks ago. They will be on at least three or four more months.The Retros can go up to six weeks of daily playing.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-12-2018, 02:15 PM

Never wipe them down. Figure I'll change them before any real build up occurs and wiping doesn't do anything for the fret dents they pick up.

I wipe down and clean the guitar when I change strings.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:18 PM

Yes I wipe my guitar and my strings (using different cloths). Whether using cotton or microfiber, I've never experienced any issues.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

I do not have a toxic hand or fingers for guitar playing. Nevertheless, I always wash my hands before playing and wash them again after about each 30 minute session. I also wipe the neck, strings and portions of the body (by the 14th fret treble side and where my right armpit may touch the side/back joint on the lower bout bass side. I certainly do this when I finish with a guitar but I also might do it when I take a break.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion