The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-15-2022, 09:51 PM

Default NCD (New Cabinet Day) - Chapter 1

Got a whole bunch of raw speakers I've accumulated over the years, that I've removed from my amps either in favor of an upgrade and/or kept when I sold off...

Since I [a] am not getting any younger and find hauling an all-tube (or large old-school analog SS) combo an increasing hassle [b] often need an extension cab for monitor purposes [c] have a few micro-amps on hand (Traynor Quarterhorse DH25H, Vox MV50AC, Hotone Britwind/Mojo Attack) for jamming/small gigs, I figured it's about time I pull some of those old speakers out of the basement and put them to good use...

Heard some good things about the Mojotone cabs, and their Lite Series appeared to be right up my alley...

Long story short, I just scored a 2x10" American Lite to accommodate a pair of Peavey Scorpion 10's I've had lying around for about 25 years; IME they're largely underappreciated and underrated - not terribly efficient by today's standards at 95 dB, but very clean-sounding with exceptional power-handling capability, in the mold of the '80s EV/JBL drivers but with significantly less weight and substantially lower price. For my style I like the idea of a cab that lets me hear more of what my amp is doing without breakup, in this case with the added advantage of allowing me to switch between lower-impedance parallel (to draw more clean headroom/volume out of my SS amps) or series (to get my tube amps into the "tone zone" at lower volume) wiring; at 35 pounds final weight it also undercuts my lightest gig rig (Bugera V22 1x12" w/Eminence Swamp Thang) by an easy 15 pounds, and with 400W RMS power handling on tap it's about as bulletproof as they come...

Anticipated delivery sometime next week, review to follow upon completion; if all goes as anticipated I'll be looking at the 13-pound 1x12" cab, for a barely-used 40-year-old JBL E-120 that's just too heavy for comfort in any of my combos (but a very manageable 33 pounds in this configuration), and probably unloading some of my heavier combos in favor of a couple of full-size tube heads...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 06-16-2022 at 12:56 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars