The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-30-2022, 02:50 PM

Default Has anyone A-B Tested Different PA Speakers for FRFR Amp Modeling Amplification?

I am thinking the new Universal Audio Dream '65 Reverb Amplifier Pedal might be a nice addition, but it would need a FRFR speaker system to complete the solution.

BUT, even the DI output on my Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb through my QSC CP8 sounds inferior compared to the Fender's internal speaker. I've tried several CP8 EQ settings, floor monitor and default, and every DI output option on the Fender, both cabinet IR mic options and no cabinet IR.

Maybe the right conclusion is the CP8 is not up to the job. It's good enough for gigs but not nearly good enough at home where the Fender is in the same room.

Has anyone tried an amp's DI or a top notch modeler through a PA FRFR speaker and gotten great results?

Ideally something so good the Fender TMDR is redundant...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 05-31-2022 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:36 AM

Yamaha DXR10 works great for FRFR speaker with amp modeler. I did sound for a talent show at my local high school and lots of the guitar players used my Yamaha DG Stomp through a mixer with DXS12 subs and DBR10 tops. Killer tone! Blows away most amps.
Old 06-05-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I am thinking the new Universal Audio Dream '65 Reverb Amplifier Pedal might be a nice addition, but it would need a FRFR speaker system to complete the solution.

BUT, even the DI output on my Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb through my QSC CP8 sounds inferior compared to the Fender's internal speaker. I've tried several CP8 EQ settings, floor monitor and default, and every DI output option on the Fender, both cabinet IR mic options and no cabinet IR.

Maybe the right conclusion is the CP8 is not up to the job. It's good enough for gigs but not nearly good enough at home where the Fender is in the same room.

Has anyone tried an amp's DI or a top notch modeler through a PA FRFR speaker and gotten great results?

Ideally something so good the Fender TMDR is redundant...
The QSC K2.2 was what I settled on for my fractal rig. I tried the Friedman FRFR, and many other "High end" solutions, but the K2.2 had the sound and the, and gets very close to the feel. One thing I can tell you is that if a real amp moving air is the sound you want, you can pretty much forget about amp modeling and FRFR. The best Ive gotten was an old Marshall 100 watt power amp pushing two Bogner cabs. The thing that was hard for me to get used to with FRFR was moving the air. FRFR just doesn't have the same feel or sound. Don't get me wrong, I love all of the cool rigs I've built in the axfx, and no one in the audience is going to know the difference. Like I said, it is a feel thing that takes some getting used to.
Old 06-05-2022, 06:33 PM

The CP8 sounds incredible with my RK-5 Flyrig.
Maybe the Di out on your amp is the issue?
Old 06-06-2022, 09:30 AM

For the 8 months between buying a Mustang Micro and the Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb, I swore the MM into the CP8 sounded great. But now the Tonemaster is the winner. Not enough of a winner to lug to a gig, but no question better at home.

My minimalist gig setup. One CP8, some Y cables, and a boost pedal driving the Mustang Micro. The ToneMaster is better, but my hobby is still music not carting.

I used to own an HX Stomp but the menu is not good for on-the-fly changes and the extra parameters are a temptation to tweak endlessly. The Universal Audio Dream 65 looks like it fixes those problems, and maybe could obsolete the Tonemaster at home, but the CP8 driven even directly from the ToneMaster DI is not competitive (at home to my ear).

Maybe Fender has a point about a real open back cabinet???

Jon Fields
Old 06-11-2022, 03:22 PM

I finally got the CP-8 to sound pretty close and maybe good enough. If I orient it on the floor wedge style, floor monitor EQ, and select the SM57 IR on the ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb, I am missing only the slightest bit of high end sparkle. If they were not side by side, either would qualify as excellent. But side by side there is a small advantage to the TMDR open back Jenson cabinet.

I'm thinking more seriously about that Universal Audio Dream '65 pedal. However at the moment it is out of stock everywhere.

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars