The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2019, 09:33 AM

Default Why Do Taylor Guitars Look So Gorgeous?

While I prefer the tone of other guitars over Taylor, I find Taylor guitars to be the nicest in looks. I find the same thing with PRS on the electric side. Are there any others that find the same thing with a line whether it be Taylor or others?
Old 03-17-2019, 09:36 AM

I only own Martin guitars, and love the tone (and looks), but last week my girlfriend bought a Taylor 712ce and I’m completely in love with its looks. And feel. And perfect factory setup.

So yeah, I get what you’re saying. Still love my Martins but Taylor makes a beautiful and perfectly put together guitar!
Old 03-17-2019, 09:39 AM

Yes I agree some Taylors are really nice looking guitars. I also like the look of Martin and Gibsons on the traditional side. I love the bling of the Martin D45.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Taylor’s lovely but not more than other makers. I think part of it is their generally flawless poly floss finish. Unfortunately that isn’t why I buy guitars.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

To me, the Taylor Grand Auditorium (x14/x14ce shape) is the most gorgeous guitar form I've seen. Its lines and contours just seem to flow into one another and it's comfortable to play, too.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-17-2019, 10:00 AM

Default Except...

for the awful shaped pickguards!
Old 03-17-2019, 10:01 AM

Is there something specific about the Taylor you like, perhaps a specific shape? The headstock or is it that cutaway?
Old 03-17-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
While I prefer the tone of other guitars over Taylor, I find Taylor guitars to be the nicest in looks. I find the same thing with PRS on the electric side.
I pretty much agree with this statement. Check out the R. Taylor acoustic guitars and the PRS Private Stock electric guitars for some real beauties!
Old 03-17-2019, 10:03 AM

I think Martin is taking a page from Bob Taylor's book with the new Modern Deluxe Martins. They are taking some design cues from Taylor in terms of aesthetics. I currently don't own any Taylors, but the GS body shape is one of my favorites to look at and play. Their 800 deluxe appointments are the most attractive to me.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
While I prefer the tone of other guitars over Taylor, I find Taylor guitars to be the nicest in looks. I find the same thing with PRS on the electric side. Are there any others that find the same thing with a line whether it be Taylor or others?
I kind of chuckled because I agree 100% with this - love the way Taylor guitars look and love PRS guitars.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:22 AM

Default Why Taylor Guitars look so gorgeous...

For me, the short answer is they directly source most of their own wood (especially the exotic hardwoods) and then go through the painstaking efforts to incorporate them into producing a quality instrument.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
I pretty much agree with this statement. Check out the R. Taylor acoustic guitars and the PRS Private Stock electric guitars for some real beauties!
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
I kind of chuckled because I agree 100% with this - love the way Taylor guitars look and love PRS guitars.
It's great to know I am not crazy and others feel the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Is there something specific about the Taylor you like, perhaps a specific shape? The headstock or is it that cutaway?
No, it's nothing specific. It's the whole design, finish and subtleties I believe that make them stand out for me. Gretsch archtops are another one that stands out for me. There is just something that appeals to my eye about them.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
No, it's nothing specific. It's the whole design, finish and subtleties I believe that make them stand out for me.
Funny how that works. Someone recently posted a shot of their new D-18, and my immediate gut reaction was that's what a guitar is supposed to look like. But the GA gestalt isn't so bad either.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:49 PM

Every issue of Wood and Steel I get confirms the beauty of Taylor guitars, particularly those with chosen wood sets suitable for publication in Wood and Steel. Just some wonderful eye candy.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 03-17-2019, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

My 2012 814 was beautiful when new with nearly white sitka top that is gradually becoming golden in a way that highlights the bearclaw in the top. It's GA size doesn't limit the wide range of tone as it's got plenty of bottom end.

Before the pile on begins, I also own four lovely Martins as well (but that was not the topic proposed by the OP!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion