The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-11-2019, 03:57 PM

Default Organization?

OK I am printing voluminous amounts of music sheets. I started putting them in a 1" 3 ring binder and it is full. I now have paper piling up in my music/computer/office room. How or do you guys organize the music/paper?

I did get a notebook to log all the things I do to the three guitars - mostly for string changes.

I have seen some videos and in the background some people look very organized and some have paper everywhere.

Suggestions - thoughts?

Jim
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 03-11-2019, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

If you need a log about when to change strings then you are doing it just for the sake of doing it.

If your log says they aren't "due" but they are worn out and sound bad, do you play them? If they seem perfect and sound great do you change them? Is an artificial log telling you when you need to change strings? Why bother logging it? There is "no" reason or value. What do you do with this information?

The first trick to organizing is getting rid of stuff you never need.

If you truly have huge amounts of paper, I suggest scanning them and simply keeping copies on your PC.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-11-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
If you need a log about when to change strings then you are doing it just for the sake of doing it.
Negative- the reason I keep a log is so I can remember which brand and model I used when. Im going through a long series of different string tests to see what I like best on each guitar.

I will never keep strings on long enough to need reminding to change even when I find the ones I like best.
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 03-11-2019, 05:08 PM

I like paper. I like binders. I print out what I like and put music in a plastic sleeve in binders. I organize the music within based on categories like open tunings, fingerpicking and some by level of difficulty or style of music.

What I learned was to really hesitate before hitting print. Do I really think I'll play this one and stick with it? Or was it just free and roughly what I like to play? If it's the latter, I should not print. I tend not to play them.

I never got into playing from a tablet, so that's not my source, advantageous as it may be.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 03-11-2019, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

I have lots and lots of music organized in a filing cabinet.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-12-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryler View Post
I like paper. I like binders. I print out what I like and put music in a plastic sleeve in binders. I organize the music within based on categories like open tunings, fingerpicking and some by level of difficulty or style of music.

What I learned was to really hesitate before hitting print. Do I really think I'll play this one and stick with it? Or was it just free and roughly what I like to play? If it's the latter, I should not print. I tend not to play them.

I never got into playing from a tablet, so that's not my source, advantageous as it may be.
I hear you. I do find myself trashing about half of what I print. I need to do better on the hit print button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I have lots and lots of music organized in a filing cabinet.
Wife has a few file cabinets in here. Ill check for availability. Knowing her they are probably storing stuff that was useless 10 years ago.

Im thinking about getting a few more 1" 3 ring binders and labeling them each for different genres.
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 03-12-2019, 03:25 PM

Don't go too large on the binders. I find 1.5" better because they stay open on the music stand better. The fatter spined ones which hold more music are too heavy and the tray slowly drops forward and the whole binder spills off of it. (It's a Hercules stand which pivots forward and back for a good angle.)
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 03-12-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryler View Post
Don't go too large on the binders. I find 1.5" better because they stay open on the music stand better. The fatter spined ones which hold more music are too heavy and the tray slowly drops forward and the whole binder spills off of it. (It's a Hercules stand which pivots forward and back for a good angle.)
Thanks. Wife picked up some more 1" 3 ring for me today. I just yesterday ordered a Hercules BS311B and a bag off of Reverb. I really need this because my old eyes are having a heck of a time seeing the sheets laying on my desk as I play.

Jim
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 03-12-2019, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomnimity View Post
OK I am printing voluminous amounts of music sheets. I started putting them in a 1" 3 ring binder and it is full. I now have paper piling up in my music/computer/office room. How or do you guys organize the music/paper?

I did get a notebook to log all the things I do to the three guitars - mostly for string changes.

I have seen some videos and in the background some people look very organized and some have paper everywhere.

Suggestions - thoughts?

Jim

Hi Jim,

I have 2" x 4 ring binders for my solo repertoire, and another for my trio rep. I used to have similar for the bluegrass band, my duo, and my other trio. All are filed in those transparent four ring thingies, and filed in alphabetical order. .

When we gig, we agree the playlist, and running order, and I take out my song sheets and put them into a smaller presentation file which is much lighter.

After the gig the sheets go back into the alphabetic files.

We often change arrangements and after my illness, I've had to change keys for some, so I reprint them.

All my songs are stored on my hard drive.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Jim,

I have 2" x 4 ring binders for my solo repertoire, and another for my trio rep. I used to have similar for the bluegrass band, my duo, and my other trio. All are filed in those transparent four ring thingies, and filed in alphabetical order. .

When we gig, we agree the playlist, and running order, and I take out my song sheets and put them into a smaller presentation file which is much lighter.

After the gig the sheets go back into the alphabetic files.

We often change arrangements and after my illness, I've had to change keys for some, so I reprint them.

All my songs are stored on my hard drive.
If I don't get this under control I might need to hire you!

Jim
2019 Martin CEO-9

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write