The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
..Same old, same old.....Lastly a handful of negatives based on guitars made ten years ago or more....
So, just curious, it's okay for many (mostly repeating hearsay spread over the internet) people who have never touched a '70's Martin to bash them on a regular basis - but not people who have played other brands within the past 10 years - like Eastman? Riddle me this rokdog. . Always followed by many who own them and swear by them.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:37 PM

Default Meh

I wanted to keep the Eastman slope shoulder I purchased but it went haywire. Neck twisted and frets were sharp. I returned it. It was really a sad guitar day.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @zucked View Post
I wanted to keep the Eastman slope shoulder I purchased but it went haywire. Neck twisted and frets were sharp. I returned it. It was really a sad guitar day.
But...that can and does happen to ANY and EVERY guitar company or maker...from the large Factory makers, to the Boutique factory makers, even to the solo Luthiers...and even to the solo Luthiers at the absolute highest echelons and price levels.

Every maker has some guitars that go sideways on them, either materials and/or construction wise...and certainly even tone wise.

Within the "Pac-Rim" factory makers, Eastman is noted as being one of the very best, along with Yamaha and Yairi, and Saga/Blueridge to name a couple others.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 03-12-2019, 10:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
But...that can and does happen to ANY and EVERY guitar company or maker...from the large Factory makers, to the Boutique factory makers, even to the solo Luthiers...and even to the solo Luthiers at the absolute highest echelons and price levels.

Every maker has some guitars that go sideways on them, either materials and/or construction wise...and certainly even tone wise.

Within the "Pac-Rim" factory makers, Eastman is noted as being one of the very best, along with Yamaha and Yairi, and Saga/Blueridge to name a couple others.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
I would agree with your assessment of Pac-Rim guitar makers. In terms of straight quality and fit-n-finish, Yamaha is the clear leader.

sm
Old 03-12-2019, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

My Blueridge BR-163A is a stellar guitar. Rosewood B&S and Adi top, wonderful tone. Can still be found new for $760 if you know where to look.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:47 PM

You nabbed a good guitar at a great price. Even used one's on reverb are going for more than what you paid.

My issue with Eastman, and it's a big issue, is that the nearest dealer is 130 miles from me. Not one dealer in San Diego, so they are not in my sight at all. Unfortunate because I'd like to try their 000s.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
You nabbed a good guitar at a great price. Even used one's on reverb are going for more than what you paid.

My issue with Eastman, and it's a big issue, is that the nearest dealer is 130 miles from me. Not one dealer in San Diego, so they are not in my sight at all. Unfortunate because I'd like to try their 000s.
I certainly don't blame you. On the other hand, people drive those distances and farther to places like Elderly Music in Michigan, Maury's in Pennsylvania and Wildwood Music in Ohio. Make a day trip out of it...have some fun.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-13-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
So, just curious, it's okay for many (mostly repeating hearsay spread over the internet) people who have never touched a '70's Martin to bash them on a regular basis - but not people who have played other brands within the past 10 years - like Eastman? Riddle me this rokdog. . Always followed by many who own them and swear by them.
Steve, I'm not sure what you mean. I have never said brand bashing of any guitar was ok so I don't get the comparison.If you read all my posts about this subject you would know that. I'm a big defender of the oft and
much-maligned Gibson Guitar Co. as well. There's also a big difference between the telling of a bad experience and assigning permanent negative generalizations every time a brand, any brand is discussed. That's what I'm referring to.
Hopefully, that clears up my position.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 03-13-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:33 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeo828 View Post
HI

I recently purchased an Eastman E10000ss/V Which is there take on a Gibson L-00, with the tiger stripe pickguard etc.

It has Antique Varnish, Solid Adirondack Spruce Top, Solid Mahogany Back/Sides, Rosewood Fingerboard, Ebony Bridge/Bridge Pins, Bone Nut/Saddle, Antique Nickel Tuners.

I like the thing.

But a friend of mine said that he would never pay $1000 for a guitar made in China.

But in my opinion I see it as a guitar that is well made, all solid wood etc....
You are paying for a high quality guitar that happens to be made in China. Not a cheap stratocaster made in China, made to be affordable and cheap.

That's my take on it. It's the quality, not where it is made.
It might be better if you and your friend work on playing music instead of arguing about the tools.

If you notice, music is broken down by genres. Country, rock, ambient, classical etc., not by guitar manufacturer locations.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-13-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
It might be better if you and your friend work on playing music instead of arguing about the tools.

If you notice, music is broken down by genres. Country, rock, ambient, classical etc., not by guitar manufacturer locations.
I used the word debate, but it was more a comment he made that made me sort of think. We were not arguing I guess, it's just that his thoughts made me think. It made me question if I made the right decision. But here is the thing..... from $1000 there are not many american all solid acoustics to be had. I looked online and all I saw was a used Martin 0017 Black Smoke short scale, and a used Martin D-15, and I don't play dreads. So compared to those two guitars, this Eastman had the better specs, value and what I needed.

The way I see it is that I was in the market for an all solid acoustic guitar but I did not want to pay over $1000 as I already have 2 Martins. I wanted a sort of "beater" that I would still cherish and take seriously. I CANNOT play all those under $500 acoustics I find at guitar center. They all sound and feel the same to me. Flat and cheap. Ok for $200, ok for $400. But not inspiring at all.

So this Eastman fit the bill for what I wanted. An all solid acoustic made very well, sounds very good and looks very cool.

As for the gentleman on this thread who suggested to me that I could not be sure that this Eastman will hold it's value. Well I've owned and sold many acoustics, and if I ever NEED to sell this acoustic I'm sure I can get anywhere from $800 to $1000. I'm pretty sure of it.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like you made a good decision, and this guitar speaks to you, so that's all that really matters. Unless you buy guitars as "investments," I wouldn't worry about resale value, but I agree with your resale assessment. Eastman guitars are holding resale values that are on par with many other brands.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Default If I can be so bold

I purchased an E10 OOss/v. I loved the look and the sound. I paid a little over $1k new and added a soundhole pick-up about $80. I also swapped out the tuners for a set of Gotoh SEs with white buttons. All in $1150. Unfortunately the thinner neck and narrower nut didn't work for my neophyte fingers and hands. I sold it 6 months later for $1K even. I look at it as the cost of learning I can't cotton to smaller nuts. Cheap rental IMHO. Still loved that guitar and my friends who play thought it was amazing quality and tone, especially for the price. Play it an enjoy it.

Last edited by tomcstokes59; 03-13-2019 at 02:57 PM. Reason: masked profanity removed
Old 03-13-2019, 11:27 AM

It seems clear that the opinion of this forum is that the opinion of the OP's friend is wrong...

I think he should be taken to the public parking lot of an Eastman dealer and given 30 lashes with a rusty set of Black Diamond guitar strings...
Old 03-13-2019, 11:40 AM

I find it curious that in 5 pages of posts, no one has deviated from the theory that the OP's friend objected based on the build quality. Nowhere do I see that stated, he just said he wouldn't spend 1K on a China built guitar. He may have other reasons - maybe there's an elephant in the room.......
Old 03-13-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I find it curious that in 5 pages of posts, no one has deviated from the theory that the OP's friend objected based on the build quality. Nowhere do I see that stated, he just said he wouldn't spend 1K on a China built guitar. He may have other reasons - maybe there's an elephant in the room.......
Tom - I offered up two alternate reasons why his friend may not want to spend 1K on a China-built guitar (post #44). I'll copy/paste here for your convenience:

"This is purely your opinion and speculation - there is zero evidence that they will hold their value and nobody will know for sure until several decades or more from now. You're friend likely does not share your positive position on this speculation. His view on this speculation is no more or no less valid than yours. It's not necessarily anti-asian-made bias, but rather a difference in perceived value over the long-term. (In response to a poster's claim that these guitars will hold their value years from now.)

One of the things that the MIC guitars are missing - whether you want to admit it or not - is history, and this history has value in the marketplace. I doubt people were buying Martins in the late 1800's and thinking "man, this thing will be worth a crap load of money in a century or so". However, we now know that they are."

I think I can guess at your "elephant in the room", but it's tiring tripe that everyone seems to go there immediately - it cheapens when the real thing occurs. (Note: If I am wrong about to which elephant you are referring, I apologize in advance.)

“Out of dialogue with others comes rhetoric. Out of dialogue with yourself comes poetry.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion