The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2019, 12:56 PM

Default Debate with friend about my recent Eastman purchase

HI

I recently purchased an Eastman E10000ss/V Which is there take on a Gibson L-00, with the tiger stripe pickguard etc.

It has Antique Varnish, Solid Adirondack Spruce Top, Solid Mahogany Back/Sides, Rosewood Fingerboard, Ebony Bridge/Bridge Pins, Bone Nut/Saddle, Antique Nickel Tuners.

I like the thing.

But a friend of mine said that he would never pay $1000 for a guitar made in China.

But in my opinion I see it as a guitar that is well made, all solid wood etc....
You are paying for a high quality guitar that happens to be made in China. Not a cheap stratocaster made in China, made to be affordable and cheap.

That's my take on it. It's the quality, not where it is made.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:06 PM

I played one of those. Really wanted to take it home.

Your friend isn't up to speed yet on how well regarded Eastmans are.

I have the E20SS and have had 2 other guitar players swoon over it and how great it sounds and they prefer it to my D18. I love them both but it's always interesting to get an outside perspective.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:29 PM

Congrats on your purchase of your new Eastman E10 00SS/V! That is one fine 00 you have bought so enjoy playing it!

If you like your Eastman then it shouldn't matter what your friend thinks. I really enjoy playing my E20 OM that i have another Eastman on it's way.
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 03-11-2019, 01:38 PM

I've got a great Taylor Gs6, and a fabulous 00028 EC . Over the last year
most of my playing time is spent with my E10Ss/v.
A great guitar is a great guitar no matter where it's made.
Dan
Old 03-11-2019, 01:55 PM

If you read my signature you will see what I have.
I'm a known Eastman flag-bearer on here and I have argued the Eastman story until I've been blue in the face.
When someone has an opinion based on a lack of information or a built-in bias, it's best to let it go. Just enjoy your Eastman and know that you have a great guitar!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-11-2019, 01:55 PM

I was said by an experienced luthier who used to stay some times in Asia some years ago that chinese had now learned how to craft good guitars...

In fact, many occidental companies have been subcontracting in China for many years now, so these guys used to learn on a steep curve how to craft good guitars !

I bought an entry level Eastman AC122ce and it has no reason to be shy besides my Taylors, Gibsons, Larrivees and some other beasts !

If you look at the archtop section, you will see how Loar LH-600/700 are well reknowned.

So, you have no reason anymore to be shy with a good chinese guitar... ;-)
Old 03-11-2019, 02:00 PM

Yeah thanks all.

I just think that some people associate quality guitars with American made. They think if it costs allot of money, then it needs to be made here. They associate overseas instruments as cheap.

While yes, many overseas instruments are cheap, but they are made cheap on purpose because it suits a certain market here in America.

I think that people like my friend associate Asian, or Mexican made instruments as cheap. They don't realize that a company like Eastman is going all out and making their stuff very well. For what I got for $1000 I could not get with Martin or Gibson. By the way I have a Martin 00-18 Elizabeth Cotten model that I love as well. Could I have gotten a gibson L-00? Not for $1000. Maybe a standard, generic, used one for $1500 if I am very patient.

This is not fender, Or Gibson, or even Martin, who make their more affordable instruments in other countries for a specific market. And yes a Chinese made Squier stratocaster is crappier than an American Fender stratocaster, but that's done on PURPOSE.

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-11-2019 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Quote deleted
Old 03-11-2019, 02:01 PM

It's just his opinion...I think everyone has the right to decide how they want to spend their own money... when I buy a guitar, nobody gets to vote but me...

But as I always say, if anyone wants to buy me a new guitar, I'll gladly accept it and won't complain about your choice of the gift...
Old 03-11-2019, 02:13 PM

A quality instrument is a quality instrument no matter where it is made.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeo828 View Post
Yeah thanks all.

I just think that some people associate quality guitars with American made. They think if it costs allot of money, then it needs to be made here. They associate overseas instruments as cheap.

While yes, many overseas instruments are cheap, but they are made cheap on purpose because it suits a certain market here in America.

I think that people like my friend associate Asian, or Mexican made instruments as cheap. They don't realize that a company like Eastman is going all out and making their stuff very well. For what I got for $1000 I could not get with Martin or Gibson. By the way I have a Martin 00-18 Elizabeth Cotten model that I love as well. Could I have gotten a gibson L-00? Not for $1000. Maybe a standard, generic, used one for $1500 if I am very patient.

This is not fender, Or Gibson, or even Martin, who make their more affordable instruments in other countries for a specific market. And yes a Chinese made Squier stratocaster is crappier than an American Fender stratocaster, but that's done on PURPOSE.
Yeah and guess what, the Squier product has held up so well, that it has caused issues with the Mexican-made "Fender" branded stuff. People have been buying Squier because it's dang good at 40% less money than the Mexican Fenders. In some cases, better. Currently, you will see professionals with Squier guitars, yes, you will!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-11-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Yeah and guess what, the Squier product has held up so well, that it has caused issues with the Mexican-made "Fender" branded stuff. People have been buying Squier because it's dang good at 40% less money than the Mexican Fenders. In some cases, better. Currently, you will see professionals with Squier guitars, yes, you will!
Once upon a time, folks looked down on Mexican-branded Fenders too. Probably still do.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 03-11-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeo828 View Post
HI

I recently purchased an Eastman E10000ss/V Which is there take on a Gibson L-00, with the tiger stripe pickguard etc.

It has Antique Varnish, Solid Adirondack Spruce Top, Solid Mahogany Back/Sides, Rosewood Fingerboard, Ebony Bridge/Bridge Pins, Bone Nut/Saddle, Antique Nickel Tuners.

I like the thing.

But a friend of mine said that he would never pay $1000 for a guitar made in China.

But in my opinion I see it as a guitar that is well made, all solid wood etc....
You are paying for a high quality guitar that happens to be made in China. Not a cheap stratocaster made in China, made to be affordable and cheap.

That's my take on it. It's the quality, not where it is made.
He's discriminating against all Chinese built guitars based on his past experience with China being the biggest mass producer of poor quality instruments. We tend to trust our experiences and form biases, it's human nature.

China has a population of 1.38 billion people. The US only 325 million. It's wrong to assume there are no talented luthiers in China and that they would be incapable of producing quality products alongside the mass produced budget guitars... Your friends perception is a bit like a foreigner visiting the United States, having a meal at a McDonalds and thinking because of the number of McDonald's in the USA that there are no fine restaurants to be had. It's a flawed analogy on some levels, but it's sort of the same thing.

Eastman gets all the details right down to the Nitro finish and they offer that at about 1/3 of the price of an USA Gibson. Blueridge is also an fine Chinese builder. If you like the feel and tone of what these brands offer they are exceptionally good value.

As with any quality inspired by/clone guitar, an Eastman is going to have it's own tonal character. In the ballpark of, but distinct from the Gibson model it's inspired by. You could say the same of other boutique built guitars (I would consider Eastman boutique built , because they operate in low volume, high quality. I don't think the price tag should be indicative of the "boutique" label) but you have to love it for what it is not what's it's trying to be.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-11-2019 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 03-11-2019, 02:37 PM

Couldn't have said it better RMZ.
In fact some would argue in favor of the Eastman voicing.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-11-2019, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Come on, guys... please keep this thread out of the ditch.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:59 PM

Besides the reputation of the Eastman acoustic guitars as being a cut above the average Rim Pacific import, their version of a certain twin humbucker arched maple top electric guitar called the SB59 has also been getting some respect in that price range...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion