The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-11-2020, 06:19 AM

Default Discoloration on strumming fingers one night, none the next?

I was strumming the other night at a band practice, had just put on GHS vintage bronze strings a few days earlier, so strings are brand new. I noticed at the end of the evening, the back of the fingers of my strumming hand had black smudges.

I hold the pick with all my fingers curled in to the palm of my hand and typically hit the strings with both the pick and sometimes with the back of my fingers when strumming, so the smudges had to have come from hitting the strings.

l liked the sound of the Vintage Bronze's but didn't care for the smudge marks, so I purchased another set of strings, JP PB's on the way home from work yesterday, planning on swapping out strings this morning. But I wanted to give the Vintage Bronze's one more play before swapping them out, I played them for close to an hour at home last night and no smudging. How can that be? Aren't they oxidizing or something and once the process begins, the strings are toast?
Old 01-11-2020, 10:57 AM

I get the same with new strings. After a few times of playing it goes away.

Never gave it a worry but I wonder if it's a light coat of RP (rust preventive) to improve shelf life. Yes, some brands are packaged an envelope with RP but it still may be done as insurance. RP won't stop holes from getting poked in the packaging.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 01-11-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekie View Post
I was strumming the other night at a band practice, had just put on GHS vintage bronze strings a few days earlier, so strings are brand new. I noticed at the end of the evening, the back of the fingers of my strumming hand had black smudges.

I hold the pick with all my fingers curled in to the palm of my hand and typically hit the strings with both the pick and sometimes with the back of my fingers when strumming, so the smudges had to have come from hitting the strings.

l liked the sound of the Vintage Bronze's but didn't care for the smudge marks, so I purchased another set of strings, JP PB's on the way home from work yesterday, planning on swapping out strings this morning. But I wanted to give the Vintage Bronze's one more play before swapping them out, I played them for close to an hour at home last night and no smudging. How can that be? Aren't they oxidizing or something and once the process begins, the strings are toast?
That's new to me, i've never ever had that with new strings whether it be acoustic or electric strings.... are you sure you might not have brushed your hand across your guitar case or something as you were pulling your guitar out? cases can be grime collectors.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:28 PM

Happens to me off and on with my fingers on both hands.

New strings more so than old but seems random.

Reaction to your body chemistry, that may change daily.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

I sometimes get that black stuff on my fingers, sometimes not. If it’s there at the end of a session, I wash my hands and it goes away.

No big deal, it’s a non-issue.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 01-11-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:49 PM

It happens. Just wash up and play som more. It’s not just with new strings. I believe it happens more as strings age & oxidize.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

It’s a skin chemistry thing. I get it too occasionally. Don’t worry about it and just play.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-11-2020, 08:42 PM

Appreciate the replies. I decided this morning to go ahead and put on a new set of John Pearse phosphor bronze strings, and after playing for a half hour I checked the back of my fingers of my strumming hand and the pinky, ring and middle finger had the same black smudges.

So it wasn't the GHS strings per se as the reason. I can't remember in almost five years of playing of experiencing this, I'm not concerned, just curious as to what is causing now two sets of different strings to do this.

The humidity in the room I play is pretty well controlled, between 38-45% humidity in the winter, and nothing is showing up on the fingertips of my fretting hand, only the backs of fingers on my strumming hand as they brush over the strings. Oh well, as mentioned, it washes right off, maybe it'll stop as the strings get broken in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion