The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-18-2019, 01:07 AM

Question Ibanez AK95 DVS Tuning

Hello ... I am having problem with my guitar going out of tune when I do bends. The G string is the worst. Are there locking tuners I can get for this model? What can I do to correct the problem? Thank you for reading my post.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:35 AM

I presume an unwound third string if you are bending hard, but it's always the same - bend hard, lots, re-tune, bend hard, lots, retune and then it will be as stable as it's going to get. New strings always need to be stretched. Any problem is rarely with the tuners, modern tuners with ratios over 12:1 are usually very stable. Don't over-wrap the strings on the tuning posts when you re-string - two winds is more than enough. You'll never get away from it entirely with a wood bridge and non-locking nut, but stretching the strings out hard helps a lot.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:46 AM

Brian pretty much covers it (BTW I avoid unwound G strings like the plague on any guitar, much less a full-body archtop) but I'd also recommend checking that the ball end is properly seated in the tailpiece - I've had a couple tuning problems over the years when the string hung up rather than going fully into the slot...
Old 02-18-2019, 08:51 PM

Also make sure the nut is cut properly; it can hang up on that end, too. There are a myriad of causes for out of tune-ness....
Old 02-22-2019, 11:00 PM

Thumbs up

Thank you all for your input.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops