The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-30-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orion View Post
Hi there,

I'm Ben who presents the Acoustic Review videos - thanks for sharing!

Having played both systems in the same room I would say that the Synapse was more powerful sounding, 'beefier' perhaps, and would cover quite a large space, whereas the Bose was a bit more 'delicate' (though it still had good bass) and would be better suited for smaller venues - I think the Bose S1 would get harsh at cranked volumes whereas I think the Synapse would be ok.

I regularly gig with an AER Compact 60 and I'd say the Bose S1 is comparable in volume and also in it's slightly box-y tone - I find my AER to be quite honky sounding at home but, in a gig, that honk isn't noticeable and almost certainly helps the AER to cut through.

The Synapse seemed to me to be larger sounding - a bit like the big Shertler Jam 400 for example.

One bonus the synapse has it a master volume, so it's easier to balance the channels and then adjust the overall volume to taste - the bose just has volume for each channel and no master.

I'd happily gig either though - they're nice bits of kit!
Thanks Jack for those great reviews and feedback!

Did you tried the QSC K8.2 how does it compare to the Synapse?

For the price of the Synapse you can definitely buy a pair of QSC K8.2 and a QSC Touchmix bringing much more versatility.

QSCs are very popular on the AGF so It would be very nice to have your feedback.

PS: Just as an illustration here is the advertised frequency response of QSC K8.2 (from spec sheet)
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 12-30-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Thanks Jack for those great reviews and feedback!

Did you tried the QSC K8.2 how does it compare to the Synapse?

For the price of the Synapse you can definitely buy a pair of QSC K8.2 and a QSC Touchmix bringing much more versatility.

QSCs are very popular on the AGF so It would be very nice to have your feedback.

PS: Just as an illustration here is the advertised frequency response of QSC K8.2 (from spec sheet)
Cuki, I've had a pair of QSC K10 speakers that were okay but I thought they sounded kind of harsh and sterile. These were, mind you, the first generation in the QSC K Series so maybe I'd enjoy the new K Series K.2 better now? Please note that the graph for the K8.2 is measuring sound dispersion On-Axis. LR Baggs claims the Synapse acts as a dual-horn-loaded, point-source to disperse its flat-frequency range of 65 Hz to 18 KHz (-3 dB) over 180 degrees. This kind of puts it in the same league for sound dispersion as a Bose L1 system but even those may be directional at certain frequencies compared to the Synapse?

You're absolutely correct in that for what I paid at Sweetwater for the Synapse ($1800), players can get more versatility in having two speakers and a mixer combo, and this thought was in my mind when deciding to get the Synapse. I was considering adding another Line 6 L2t to go with the one I currently have. In the last ten years, for PA and acoustic amp gear, I've owned two Mackie SRM450 speakers, two QSC K10 speakers, a Fishman LoudBox 100, a Fishman SoloAmp, a VOX AG150, a Bose L1 Compact, a Bose L1 Model II with T1 and two B1 Bass Modules, and a Line 6 L2t. All that gear is good but I bought the LR Baggs Synapse because I wanted what appears to be top-quality construction and sound in a quality league with a Bryston Power Amp/Daedalus W803 combination. The Synpase sounds very good and so far I'm enjoying its sound and simplicity of usage. I'm hoping LR Baggs brings out a subwoofer for the Synapse system. Maybe at 2019 Winter NAMM?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-31-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I kind of agree for 2 grand they should give you
a sound tech/roadie for a year.,
Sprucetop the op already
made mention of wanting to adjust pickup parameters
to align better with the synapse ..which tells
me hes not quite happy with the tone.
Perhaps just an eq/di in between would
suffice.
Sorry for the confusion as I should not have mentioned wanting to adjust the Trance's Amulet installation in the Martin HD-28 when actually reviewing the LR Baggs Synapse. The Trance, as currently installed, has nothing to do with the performance of the Synapse. I tend to get too long-winded and involved when discussing anything technical, including throwing in the kitchen sink in a discussion.

I've made my two guitar tests so far with the Synapse EQ all set flat. My mention of adjusting the Trance Amulet's M-VT onboard EQ Tone Wheel (a two-second operation) is what I'd do with this pickup/preamp system when plugged-in to any PA or amp. My further mention of slightly relocating the treble-side position of that Amulet is just to enable that Amulet to pick up a bit more 1st-string signal. Also, the onboard Trance's preamp gives the user the option, via a trim screw, of adding or subtracting from the relative balance between the treble and bass Amulets. The Synapse sounds great with these guitars without any messing around with it or having the need to add any external preamp EQ device. Also, the Taylor 614ce ES2 trial was done with Taylor's onboard EQ (flat) in their center detent positions, and all Synapse EQ set flat.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-30-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

The main reason for getting an LR Baggs Synapse is its tonal quality: It's not harsh sounding, i.e., it doesn't produce ear fatigue, and it sounds smooth and clear. Given the real world, and the cost of the Synpase, it would be silly if you're in a band to want every member to have their own Synapse but then again, each band member in some bands have their own Bose L1 Model II.

Given that I have carpal tunnel in both hands, my Synapse will be used most of the time at home. Given that, the Synapse is simple, sounds excellent, is powerful and clean, and looks really nice too.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 12-30-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Cuki, I've had a pair of QSC K10 speakers that were okay but I thought they sounded kind of harsh and sterile. These were, mind you, the first generation in the QSC K Series so maybe I'd enjoy the new K Series K.2 better now? Please note that the graph for the K8.2 is measuring sound dispersion On-Axis. LR Baggs claims the Synapse acts as a dual-horn-loaded, point-source to disperse its flat-frequency range of 65 Hz to 18 KHz (-3 dB) over 180 degrees. This kind of puts it in the same league for sound dispersion as a Bose L1 system but even those may be directional at certain frequencies compared to the Synapse?

You're absolutely correct in that for what I paid at Sweetwater for the Synapse ($1800), players can get more versatility in having two speakers and a mixer combo, and this thought was in my mind when deciding to get the Synapse. I was considering adding another Line 6 L2t. In the last ten years, for PA and acoustic amp gear, I've owned two Mackie SRM450 speakers, two QSC K10 speakers, a Fishman LoudBox 100, a Fishman SoloAmp, a VOX AG150, a Bose L1 Compact, a Bose L1 Model II with T1 and two B1 Bass modules, and a Line 6 L2t. All that gear is good but I bought the LR Baggs Synapse because I wanted what appears to be top-quality construction and sound in a quality league with a Bryston Power Amp/Daedalus W803 combination. The Synapse sounds very good and so far I'm enjoying its sound and simplicity of usage. I'm hoping LR Baggs brings out a subwoofer for the Synapse system. Maybe at 2019 Winter NAMM?
Thank you very much Ken,

That's exactly what my local dealer said about QSCs!

High frequencies always raise big questions in me... You need the high end of the spectrum to cut and get air but it also brings harshness sometimes.

At the other end of the spectrum, ported (vent) vs close box design also raise questions. You want the extra low end frequencies but you get boomy/woofyness sometimes...

At the end of the day it is hard to find something that both sounds great for guitar and vocals. You do need a quite broad spectrum to get good vocals... It's not "that" important for guitars. For example an AER compact that has no tweeter sounds great for guitar and poorly for vocals.

Bose style speakers are great for vocals. They have no tweeter and usually a limited high frequency range (14kHz at -3dB). They also attenuate certain frequencies to remove the punch from the sound and give that piano bar tone, lounge bar feel.

To come back to the OP, do you think the Synapse colors the sound or let's say have some kind of personality as a PA (ex: Bose) or is it pretty much a flat sounding speaker?

Did you compare the tone with studio monitors?

PS: Yesterday at my local dealer, we were trying my DIY IR pedal on different peakers and I was happy to have EQ power. We tried a Yamaha DBR10 and a schertler/acus style amp and everytime we had to notch a different frequency.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 12-30-2018, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The main reason for getting an LR Baggs Synapse is its tonal quality: It's not harsh sounding, i.e., it doesn't produce ear fatigue, and it sounds smooth and clear. Given the real world, and the cost of the Synpase, it would be silly if you're in a band to want every member to have their own Synapse but then again, each band member in some bands have their own Bose L1 Model II.

Given that I have carpal tunnel in both hands, my Synapse will be used most of the time at home. Given that, the Synapse is simple, sounds excellent, is powerful and clean, and looks really nice too.
Thank you for posting, I am interested because even though I have been drastically winding down my playing gigs, I have still been toying with the idea selling my Fishman SA 220 and getting something else (probably only if it were to represent an improvement in sound and logistics ).

Some perspective, I chose the sound of the 220 over similar Bose systems even the more expensive ones, because try as I might to like the dispersion, I find Bose to be very midrange heavy and lacking detail and articulation and I guess I would say somewhat lackluster, comparatively . And even though my SA220 is in very good (almost pristine condition, because I have only played about 5 gigs with it). I am still searching, and precisely because I do so few gigs anymore the great logistical advantage the 220 offers, is not of the importance it was when when doing 2 or 3 gigs a month year round .

Bringing us to the OP.

I was seriously considering a Line 6 L2t so your post was all the more interesting. To my mind and ears I find that to get the kind of tonal quality I am after.... I am looking well north o the $1000 either by the price of the unit itself or coupled with additional cost ot the front end gear I found myself using . For example With the 220 I alway also had a rolling rack with a Manley DVC 2 channel Pre, Eq, Limiter, and a TC Electronics M 3000 stereo reverb.

So the praise the reverb in the Synapse is intriguing. And if the quality of the electronics and design of the Verb, Eq section and the inherent compression (that Mr. Baggs talks about) of the Horns, then perhaps I would be satisfied with just the Synapse my mic and guitar And if the tone is any better than what I get with current rig than to my mind the price is completely justified.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-30-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion as I should not have mentioned wanting to adjust the Trance's Amulet installation in the Martin HD-28 when actually reviewing the LR Baggs Synapse. The Trance, as currently installed, has nothing to do with the performance of the Synapse. I tend to get too long-winded and involved when discussing anything technical, including throwing in the kitchen sink in a discussion.

I've made my two guitar tests so far with the Synapse EQ all set flat. My mention of adjusting the Trance's Amulet's M-VT onboard EQ Tone Wheel (a two-second operation) is what I'd do with this pickup/preamp system when plugged-in to any PA or amp. My further mention of slightly relocating the treble-side position of that Amulet is just to enable that Amulet to pick up a bit more 1st-string signal. Also, the onboard Trance's preamp gives the user the option, via a trim screw, of adding or subtracting from the relative balance between the treble and bass Amulets. The Synapse sounds great with these guitars without any messing around with it or having the need to add any external preamp EQ device. Also, the Taylor 614ce ES2 trial was done with Taylor's onboard EQ (flat) in their center detent positions, and all Synapse EQ set flat.
Great thanks for clearing that up.
Do you think you'll gig out with the
synapse in the near future? Do you truly
think this would be a small pa. where
one could plug guitar direct and a mic and
play for say 200 people and they would go
ooh ahhh!! This unit intrigues me.
It also has a mixer input as well correct.
have you tried it with a small mixer?
thanks
Sounds like a great unit.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Great thanks for clearing that up.
Do you think you'll gig out with the
synapse in the near future? Do you truly
think this would be a small pa. where
one could plug guitar direct and a mic and
play for say 200 people and they would go
ooh ahhh!! This unit intrigues me.
It also has a mixer input as well correct.
have you tried it with a small mixer?
thanks
Sounds like a great unit.
I likely won't be playing out any time soon as my carpal tunnel causes me to mis-fret chords and notes and also my flatpick tends to wander in rotation.

It should be good for 200 people. As for them oohing and awwing about its tone, other than typically having one or two interested folks in any crowd actually inquiring and commenting on tone, likely, No, as most folks in an audience don't care, because as you know, the actual performance is what engages them. Any of the systems I've owned would be good choices for pub/bar type gigs, and that includes the many top-quality systems (Bose, JBL, ElectroVoice) I've owned back in the mid-1970s to mid-1980s that would still sound good today.

I haven't tried the Synapse with an external mixer although it has an XLR, a 1/4 inch, and a 1/8 inch jack for input of a mixer or other device.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-30-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

After not plugging-in my Martin Dreadnought Junior with B-Band A1.2N-1470 AST for a year, I just did, and for the first time into the new LR Baggs Synapse. The guitar sounds warm, clear, and full, as well as balanced--it's another my guitar only louder scenario. All EQ on the Synapse is set flat and it faithfully renders the Martin's acoustic tone. I'm supposed to be reviewing the LR Baggs Synapse but it sounds so transparent and natural that my reviews seem to become more about the pickup/preamp system plugged-in to the Synapse than about the Synapse itself.

Having never played a B-Band system, I thought I'd give the B-Band A1.2N-1470 AST (Volume Control only) system a try, and installed it in my new at the time Martin D Junior a couple of years ago. Frankly, I was surprised from the first time I plugged it into my Line 6 L2t. The AST gas-bubble-medium pickup has no quack like a UST and it sounds very natural. Why B-Band systems aren't more popular is a mystery to me as this active AST system sounds wonderful and wasn't very expensive either.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 12-30-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Why B-Band systems aren't more popular is a mystery to me as this active AST system sounds wonderful and wasn't very expensive either.
They are out of business aren't they?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 12-30-2018, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
They are out of business aren't they?
You're correct although I see some systems still available from different outlets for reduced prices. Too bad, seemed like good systems and an alternative to quack.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 12-30-2018, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orion View Post
Hi there,

I'm Ben who presents the Acoustic Review videos - thanks for sharing!

Having played both systems in the same room I would say that the Synapse was more powerful sounding, 'beefier' perhaps, and would cover quite a large space, whereas the Bose was a bit more 'delicate' (though it still had good bass) and would be better suited for smaller venues - I think the Bose S1 would get harsh at cranked volumes whereas I think the Synapse would be ok.

I regularly gig with an AER Compact 60 and I'd say the Bose S1 is comparable in volume and also in it's slightly box-y tone - I find my AER to be quite honky sounding at home but, in a gig, that honk isn't noticeable and almost certainly helps the AER to cut through.

The Synapse seemed to me to be larger sounding - a bit like the big Shertler Jam 400 for example.

One bonus the synapse has it a master volume, so it's easier to balance the channels and then adjust the overall volume to taste - the bose just has volume for each channel and no master.

I'd happily gig either though - they're nice bits of kit!
Thanks, Ben for your review of the LR Baggs Synapse. It confirms my initial experience with and the cost for this piece of kit!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 12-31-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Ben for your review of the LR Baggs Synapse. It confirms my initial experience with and the cost for this piece of kit!
Thanks Ben,

Sorry for calling you Jack.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 12-31-2018, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Spruce Top
Thanks so much for taking one for the team with this purchase! I've coveted it since it was released and have no sane reason to own one...but still! I'll look forward to your ongoing review of what looks like a great system.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:10 AM

That 180 degree dispersion would be very handy in the place where I'm currently hosting a weekly open mic. Its true that feedback would be a limiting factor if you are using it as both the monitor and the main speaker, but I like the idea of covering the area more evenly with less volume. I also like the idea of not needing to drag in both a front-of-house setup and a powered monitor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification