The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-28-2019, 08:07 PM

Just a couple o' quick comments:

1. Thanks to Juston for organizing. There were a handful of people present in the super cozy, but always amazing Schoenberg store.

2. I hadn't met John in person, so I was pleased to finally do so.

3. I received particularly enjoyment in hearing John and Eric geeking out about guitars. These are two people who have forgotten more about guitars than I have ever known and I really enjoyed hearing the back and forth about the various guitars in the store.

4. Juston kindly let me play his mad rose OM. This just reinforced the notion to me that all Circas are awesome!

There are a lot of Slobod fans here, but if you were ever on the fence about getting on John's build list, great to do so!

My only regret was that I was not able to stay longer. I'm super happy that the AGF community was able to put together a meeting like this. THANK YOU!
Old 01-28-2019, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Many thanks to Eric (Schoenberg), John (Slobod), Juston, and Freddie for making show and tell possible today. All are fine fellows. In addition to the incredibly nice Circas visiting the shop (now I get it!), Schoenberg really has some very nice guitars - really special old Martins and other first class guitars. One that was new to me was a Preston Thompson 000 in Mahogany B&S (I don't recall the top - maybe Adirondack?) that sounded terrific. My first time playing one, and I was impressed. Would like to play it more in a very quiet room - tinnitus makes it hard for me to to hear if people talking, other guitars playing, etc. Want to play more Circas too!
Old 01-28-2019, 10:23 PM

Sitting on the bench out front playing Juston’s Slobod just felt right. The for sale Maple model is not as bright as Justin’s. It has a rounder, more mellow quality that really spoke to me. 1930 OMs are luckily so high priced I don’t want them anymore.
The Gibson L00s were fun to play.
Eric’s shop is just the best. I’ve been to Mass Street Music in Lawrence, KS, Acoustic Music in Guilford, CT, Rudy’s in NYC, Chicago Music Exchange, but I am always happiest in Tiburon.

Thanks Juston. Let’s get together and pick my next trip.

Matt
Old 01-29-2019, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing your experience, everybody. Wish I could have been there, (sigh).

Any pics?
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 01-29-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

John and I did a quick tour of the Berkeley campus yesterday morning, where he was a student many moons again. Then we headed to my house to play my small collection of guitars. I wanted him to get a first-hand look at my two Circas to see how my OM had evolved and also to get a feel for the 000-12. John also got a chance to play a couple of my other guitars.

Here's John playing my Circa OM-30.

And my Fairbanks.

And Brondel A-2.

Just after lunch, we headed up to Schoenberg where Eric Schoenberg and James Hipps hosted us at the shop ON THEIR DAY OFF. They were amazing and gracious hosts. Thanks Eric and James!

Here's a shot of our very own M_Sarad discussing the finer points of his Brondel with Doug Young.

My OM-30 getting some love.

Mr. Hipps.

Our own Jamiejoon jamming on a Preston Thompson 000-12 that I believe impressed all of us.

Eric taking FormerFoodie's Circa maple OM for a spin.

Two 1930 OM-28s. I can honestly say I like my Circa OM 30 just as much. The sound is so close to that vintage sound, I can't tell much difference. Those two OMs sounded pretty different by the way. The one on the left had a lot more bass. The one on the right sounded just like my Circa.

The most responsive guitar ever made, in my opinion. I've never played anything like it. A 1903 00-30. Such COOL purfling.

John taking a crack at a Bourgeois L-00 with maple back and sides.

There were so many guitars at the shop that impressed me, it's hard to list them all. I loved FormerFoodie's maple OM.

Here are a few others.

1) 1935 Gibson Nick Lucas with maple back and sides. Just drop dead gorgeous tone in every regard. HUGE sound. I've mentioned this guitar before. I'd love to find a way to replicate it.

2) Preston Thompson 000-12 with mahogany back and sides. Very impressive work and wonderful mahogany sound. Similar to my Schoenberg 000-12.

3) 1903 Martin 00-30. The single most responsive guitar I’ve ever played. This is a must have guitar for a vintage enthusiast.

4) Bourgeois L-00 with maple back and sides. Super clear and sweet.

5) 1946 Gibson J-45. Loved it, though I like my Fairbanks even more.

6) Fairbanks F-20S - so sweet and intimate.

7) Schoenberg 00-12C with cocobolo. Punch and glorious.

8) Circa 00 in maple - Sweet and responsive. Not quite as loud as my guitars.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the report.... It looks like it was a fun time for all.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:53 PM

I let Brondel know that it was a Slobod Party. His comment:

I really, really like John’s work, I think he’s among the best.
He’s also a cool cat.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:36 PM

Thanks for sharing the photos with us, Juston!
Old 01-29-2019, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing Justin, must have been a blast...!!!
Old 01-29-2019, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Thank you for all the sonic details and all your smiles!
Old 01-30-2019, 02:44 AM
Charter Member

Well done Juston! Schoenberg's is a place where dreams are made. My one visit (years ago) was memorable and you guys seem to have had a memorable day as well.

Col
Old 01-30-2019, 11:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks a lot for sharing, Juston! It means a lot to Circa Community in the other regions!
Old 01-30-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Juston, the next time I'm out in the old stomping grounds, we'll have to make it over to Tiburon together. I figure that, if we go as a team, there's less likelihood of any serious damage to the household finances, right ?
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop