The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 03:22 PM

Default Duplicate a setup?

I have a Gibson LG-2 that has the most amazing setup. Comfortable for chords, yet I can dig in for blues, and even play slide on it. Literally perfect for what I look for in a blues guitar.

The LG-2 inspired me to buy a J-45 Vintage that I want setup the same way. It's the same scale length, same strings. I don't have access to the tech who setup the LG-2.

Has anyone had success giving a "source" guitar to a tech and asking him/her to setup another guitar to the same specs? Did that work? Any advice?
Old 03-18-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovgren View Post
I have a Gibson LG-2 that has the most amazing setup. Comfortable for chords, yet I can dig in for blues, and even play slide on it. Literally perfect for what I look for in a blues guitar.

The LG-2 inspired me to buy a J-45 Vintage that I want setup the same way. It's the same scale length, same strings. I don't have access to the tech who setup the LG-2.

Has anyone had success giving a "source" guitar to a tech and asking him/her to setup another guitar to the same specs? Did that work? Any advice?
I've done it. Took both guitars in, but didn't have to leave the original. Best if you set up an appointment.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:35 PM

I bought my 12-string Martin Grand J12-40E Special brand new.
The factory set up was near unplayable.
Way too high at the nut.

I was lucky to have a Guild F-412 at home that was incredibly easy to play - set up was perfect.

I took them both to a music store with a good 'guitar-tech' reputation.

"Please set up this Martin to match this Guild."

The tech passed the job to the store owner/founder who is also a luthier. (builds his own guitars - built his 1st guitar while still at High School!)

Here's the man himself, Phil Haworth of Haworth Guitars - Shellharbour - New South Wales.

He not only matched the set-up but got it even better than my Guild. He even rang me and asked if he could 'tweak' the dual truss rods on my Guild to improve it a little more.

So I got 2 fantastic 12-string set ups in one hit.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 03-18-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:16 PM

If techs know exactly what you want they can duplicate it within the limits of the guitar's ability to live up to that standard. By that I mean "all things being equal", yes - but one guitar may not respond to its strings' vibration the same as another or its parts and geometry may not physically allow duplication of course.

As a tech I appreciate if a customer can able to show me what they want, and odds are it will work out with them getting just what they want. Go for it.

A J45V is worth the effort too.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:11 PM

I’ve had great luck with just that - I’ve taken my favorite guitar to my tech and said “this is the set up that works best for me” - he measured several places, took some notes, and said “no problem - if your guitar can do it, I can match them”

He said that he really liked having a reference - and it’s been a wonderful starting point for subsequent set ups

“My mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into waterfall of creative alternative....” - H. Lamarr
Old 03-18-2019, 10:05 PM

Indeed. If your guitar was set up by a local tech. it's likely that he/she does all his/her set ups the same way. If you're using a new person definitely take your favorite in for an example.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion