The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-16-2019, 05:50 PM

Default Options for playing along with recorded music

Long time self-taught player here, mid-50s, lower rung of the intermediate skill level. I finally have time in my life to play more so I am looking for ways to increase my enjoyment and thus maybe get better.

One idea would seem to be to play along with recorded music, whether to replicate or to embellish the recording
(e.g., simple lead solos and riffs like Wish You Were Here). Struggling to describe better, but I guess I would like to be able to jam but without other players. At least until I get better, get more confident and find willing jam mates!

So I'm looking for advice on how folks here do that. I imagine there are sophisticated and expensive machines I could buy but for now I prefer to avoid a steep learning curve and steep cost curve.

I have an iPad and a laptop. After my last house move I don't have a traditional stereo set up. I have a Taylor 214ce with stock built-in electronics and a Martin DM with a Dean Markley soundhole pickup. I also have a couple of basic amps.

So, any suggestions or advice?

Thanks for reading this post!
Old 03-16-2019, 06:46 PM

I used live recordings to learn from. I know that they are worked over well in post production, but still I felt I was getting closer to the bone as playing went. It's mostly a matter of finding the recordings. Benefit concerts have big acts playing hits. I also liked the "King Biscuit Flour Hour" series of live concerts (of which there are many). I used to record "Westwood One" concerts from FM radio as well. Good luck, it's a lot of fun to play along with your faves.

Gibson Dove
67 Fender Coronado mod
Old 03-16-2019, 07:14 PM

Cabrio 330, I’ve got a Fender acoustic 200 that’s got Bluetooth connectivity. I have a playlist of songs that I’m working on, and I play them back on “shuffle” through the amp via my phone...set the volume on the guitar where I need it (214ce plugged in to the amp) and that works for me.

It’s a good solution for me, and I find that I can scrub through the song if I need to focus on a particular spot.

Easier than the old fashioned needle-drop, and it works well for me.

The other modern convenience that I really appreciate having is iTunes and playlists. I create a playlist for any set-list I’m working on, acoustic or electric, and play it back through my fender acoustic amp while I play along. If I’m working on an electric song, I just run two amps and go.

One last tool that’s really useful? A flip-stand that holds my iPad or phone so I can play along with a video segment while I watch

Hope that you find something that works for you!

“My mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into waterfall of creative alternative....” - H. Lamarr
Old 03-16-2019, 07:20 PM

Check out the Amazing Slow Downer software. Youcan import your mp3s and slow the speed down, loop a passage you are trying to learn and more. Iusethis software every single day. If I remember right they have a trail version that plays part goof your song. Great learning tool
Old 03-16-2019, 09:34 PM

Get a Bluetooth speaker like a JBL or other - about the size of a brick. I use Spotify in my iPhone - you could use your iPad. I have found that I learn the songs faster if I learn them while playing along.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 03-17-2019, 06:33 AM

I use Transcribe: https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/screenshots.html
Mainly for learning songs (not practising them), but then I learn them by playing along, so I guess that counts.
You can play back at any speed, at the same pitch, and you can easily loop sections of any length to practice tricky passages.

Amazing Slowdowner (AFAIK) does pretty much the same thing - but doesn't show the waveform visually like Transcribe does (the main reason I prefer the latter).

The downside to Transcribe is there is no app version. Fine on your laptop, then, but not for the iPad.

Both programs are cheap. Transcribe (full version, no limits) is free for the first month.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:36 AM

First, thanks to the mods for moving this to the more appropriate subforum (duh!).

Second, thanks for the responses. Busy day for me so I will research these ideas further tonight. On quick glance, they all seem exactly on point to my question, so thank you for taking the time!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write