The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-06-2019, 10:46 AM

Default Schatten HFN in 12 string guitars. Doable?

I have an HFN on order for my 000 and I am curious if any of you have put one in a 12 string guitar? I have a built-in pickup in my Martin 12 but ever since I went for a compensated bone saddle, the piezo sounds horrible (not that it was all that stellar before anyway). Thanks for sharing if you do.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:23 AM

Yes. I had one (passive) installed in a Taylor 555 and then another in a Martin J12-15 and they worked well (full disclosure: both are now gone, 12-strings just aren't my thing).

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
I have an HFN on order for my 000 and I am curious if any of you have put one in a 12 string guitar? I have a built-in pickup in my Martin 12 but ever since I went for a compensated bone saddle, the piezo sounds horrible (not that it was all that stellar before anyway). Thanks for sharing if you do.
HI DG

The best pickups I've heard in 12 string guitars is the original K&K Pure Western (larger discs than the Pure Mini). They are bass prone and treble weak, which acoustic 12 string guitars are not.

Can't tell you how Schatten HFN are in them, but I've mixed a number of different 12 string guitars with the Pure Western K&K and they sounded pretty much what many people who play 12 strings wish their guitars sounded like - less strident on the high end, and a little fuller on the bass end of things.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-06-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
HI DG

The best pickups I've heard in 12 string guitars is the original K&K Pure Western (larger discs than the Pure Mini). They are bass prone and treble weak, which acoustic 12 string guitars are not.

Can't tell you how Schatten HFN are in them, but I've mixed a number of different 12 string guitars with the Pure Western K&K and they sounded pretty much what many people who play 12 strings wish their guitars sounded like - less strident on the high end, and a little fuller on the bass end of things.

Seems like they compliment each other. That makes a lot of sense.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 03-07-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
I don't have a 12 string but I did install the passive Schatten HFN in 2 different guitars and they both sound like the guitar just amplified. I really can't see it being different in a 12 string. The HFN is like a hidden gem in acoustic pickups!
Old 03-07-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
Seems like they compliment each other. That makes a lot of sense.
HI TK

They really do. And the Schatten may be fine too…though it sounds to me like it's reported profile (via posts in the forum) is more like the K&K Pure Mini rather than the Pure Western (old name). They are calling it the 'Pure 12 string' on their site.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-07-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
HI TK

They really do. And the Schatten may be fine too…though it sounds to me like it's reported profile (via posts in the forum) is more like the K&K Pure Mini rather than the Pure Western (old name). They are calling it the 'Pure 12 string' on their site.

I think most people compare it to the K&K as it's a passive SBT and most people are familiar with the famous K&K. Tonally it's very different. I have used the K&K and have much respect for it I just think the Schatten is better. Much easier to install and due to the element being suspended it adds an airiness that the K&K doesn't have. With the K&K most people usually have to EQ the low mids and bass to tame the boxiness. The Schatten, at least for me has been plug & play in 2 guitars (no EQ necessary) which still amazes me. It basically amplifies what your guitar sounds like. The K&K has a slightly hotter output (which doesn't really mean anything). The only type of guitar that I wouldn't install a Schatten in is one that sounded bad unplugged as it will just make it sound like that amplified. It still baffles me after all my years of playing I never heard of this pickup until a few months ago.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification