The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Pickguard sliding away...

I have a lovely Blueridge BR140A that the Pickguard has begun to move away from the sound hole.
Question, do I need to replace the Pickguard or can I remove it and re-glue it?

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance for your time.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:06 PM

I had the same thing happen to me, so I just removed it and cleaned up the mess with naptha. If I was going to replace it, I would clean off the glue (with naptha) then use Stewmac adhesive sheet to re-attach it. - Or just buy a complete new pickguard.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

I'll check into the adhesive sheet. Thank you so much.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:55 PM

This is an old thread but a new problem. I have a Blueridge BR-180 and noticed the pickguard's edge lifting up at the top of the rosette and between the rosette and bridge. The guitar has sat in its case for about two months as I was recovering from an auto accident and subsequent wrist surgery.

My second choice of repair would be to remove the pickguard and put on a new, self-adhesive pickguard. I have done this before for other guitars and it has worked out well.

My first choice of repair would be to "re-glue" the lifting areas and clamp them until set. Due to the nature of this pickguard, it would have to be a reasonably clear adhesive. While this pickguard is not my favorite tortoise shell, it is original to the guitar and has a somewhat unique look.

What type of adhesive might be affective, if any, aside from the Stew Mac strips that I'm currently unfamiliar with?
Old 02-14-2019, 06:13 PM

Default re-gluing

I don't plan on re-gluing any pickguards that lift off the guitar. My priority is to insure that the guitar body is not affected in any way, and I don't want to experiment on an instrument to find out.

Besides which, the pickguard already has adhesive that isn't sticking, and if removing the pickguard to clean off the old adhesive isn't in the plans, then we're applying new adhesive to old adhesive, which I'm pretty sure is a lousy idea.

It's a straightforward job to remove a pickguard and clean it of adhesive, and refresh the adhesive, or while the pickguard is off, leave it off and replace it.

New pickguards can be bought very inexpensively, especially if waiting for international shipment is not a problem.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ville Brent View Post
This is an old thread but a new problem. I have a Blueridge BR-180 and noticed the pickguard's edge lifting up at the top of the rosette and between the rosette and bridge. The guitar has sat in its case for about two months as I was recovering from an auto accident and subsequent wrist surgery.

My second choice of repair would be to remove the pickguard and put on a new, self-adhesive pickguard. I have done this before for other guitars and it has worked out well.

My first choice of repair would be to "re-glue" the lifting areas and clamp them until set. Due to the nature of this pickguard, it would have to be a reasonably clear adhesive. While this pickguard is not my favorite tortoise shell, it is original to the guitar and has a somewhat unique look.

What type of adhesive might be affective, if any, aside from the Stew Mac strips that I'm currently unfamiliar with?
I'm the one that originally posted almost five years ago.
I contacted the maker and they quickly sent me out a new Pickguard.
Removing the old is was easy enough and installing the new one was also simple just a bit spooky at first.
Oh, don't forget to clean the area with naptha.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

So I'll preface this by stating that IS intended to be a light-hearted joke of sorts....

If it is one of those heavily spotted pickguards that some Blueridge's sport, I'm sure the pickguard is just trying to escape to go hide somewhere where nobody will see it. I would view this as a blessing in disguise to go replace with a more attractive (to these eyes) pickguard.

Ok...go ahead...flame me now. I deserve it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair