The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-19-2019, 09:04 PM

Default Multi-driver IEMs

I have a pair of Shure SE215s, and MEE Audio Pro 6 which both use a single driver. I like the long cable on the Shures, but the MEE sounds better and the chassis -- not the tips -- of the Shure is very tight in my ear and hurts to wear.

Anyway, I have half a mind to invest in a set of multi-driver IEMs if the sound, particularly the bass when several instruments, including a bass guitar and drums, are in the mix.

One place I play uses wireless IEMs and with my electric, the bass, and the drums all in the mix, everything (sound wise in the IEMs) goes to the dumps. It breaks up and sounds very distorted.

Would a set of multi-driver IEMs resolve this issue, or is it likely more of a matter of the wireless unit being used? Or is it something with the monitor mix? FWIW, I have used a hard wired line for my buds and have the same issue there.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 01-19-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Short answer - yes!
I recently stepped up from an older pair of Westone IEM dual drivers to custom IEMs from Ultimate Ears. (UE-7s). Unbelievable difference. Not cheap but the improvement in sound is amazing. Crystal clear, no distortion, clean bass, vocals, etc. I play electric with a large band at a mega-church. I should have done this years ago. Would have prevented some of the hearing loss caused by the cheap Westones.

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
- Edith Wharton, writer
Old 01-20-2019, 08:14 AM

Probably not, since you point to a single venue where you have issues. That implies that the sound is ok elsewhere, which would mean the audio quality of your IEMs is not the issue. You also say that your wired sound (at the same venue with the same engineer?) is poor, so it's not a wireless problem.

Do your IEMs sound ok with recorded music? If so, then the problem is not with them, but with the signal you're being fed. Whoever is mixing you at the venue you cite may be overdriving something in the signal chain, giving you a distorted signal which your IEMs are reproducing as received. From your description of the problem, it sounds like the problem is in the signal you're being given, not in your earbuds.

Multi-driver IEMs tend to be more expensive and can sound better than units with fewer drivers, but the number of drivers, in itself, is not necessarily predictive of audio quality.

Custom-molded IEMs may be more comfortable to wear, but that's a different attribute than clarity or other dimensions of audio quality.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:34 AM

From my experience, there is no comparison between custom molds and the universal models out there. They're pricey, yes, but the difference is worth it. Go for it and don't look back! Check out 1964 Ears; competitive pricing and an awesome product.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification