The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-18-2019, 01:37 PM

Default New guitar with LR Baggs Anthem

Hi folks. I am thinking about getting the new Godin Metropolis guitar and they all come from the factory with the LR Baggs Anthem. I do not have experience with this pickup only the K&K mini. Can anyone with experience tell me how they like this pickup and if the sound is much different than the K&K? I do like the fact there is a mic that can be blended with the piezo but again am totally unfamiliar with this pup. I cannot buy the guitar without. FYI, the guitar is a dread with a cedar top over mahogany back and sides. Would this combination of woods help or hinder the sound of the Anthem?

Thanks for all your help.
Dan
Old 05-18-2019, 01:59 PM

My experience with the Anthem so far has mixed results. I normally find the tru mic to be very trebly. It can be tamed by EQ of course. The new Godin with the cedar top might help tame it a bit on it's own. Every guitar responds different to different pickups. I think (just a guess) that the Anthem will be better suited to a cedar top guitar vs spruce IME.

By the way I too am intrigued by those new Godin acoustics. Looks like they nailed it from what I'm seeing on YouTube. I'm hoping to try one soon.

I should add that if you really don't like the Anthem you could remove it easily enough. The Anthem system in the new Godin acoustics is unique in that its color matched to the pick guard and headstock. You should have no trouble selling it if it didn't work out.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:08 PM

Thanks GuitarLuva. Like you mentioned, the cedar top may help curb the brightness. I guess time will tell. I just have to wait until I can try it out. I at least hope it sounds better than a cheap undersaddle only pup.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D41Fan View Post
Thanks GuitarLuva. Like you mentioned, the cedar top may help curb the brightness. I guess time will tell. I just have to wait until I can try it out. I at least hope it sounds better than a cheap undersaddle only pup.
No problem. It is a good system, just not my first choice. It sounds very natural with the blender set all the way to the mic. You can also blend more to the UST in higher volume scenarios. The element UST of course sounds like a typical UST.

One other thing to mention is it may impact the acoustic tone of the guitar. Because it comes preinstalled, you wouldn't know so that's a good thing in this case. I often wondered what I would do myself if I end up with a Godin acoustic. I would more than likely leave it in and replace the tusq saddle with a nice bone saddle.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

I have had K&K's and Anthems in multiple guitars, and for my very high-end instruments where I want to take no chances about altering the acoustic tone I choose K&K, but for a the best, airiest, most mic-like plug and play amplified tone without major feedback issues in my performing out guitars it's the Anthem every time.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:30 PM

Thanks dogdog49,
I have a K&K mini in my Martin D41 and think it sounds great going through an Allen and Heath into the Bose L1C. Have to roll the mids back a bit and a little of the highs but am very happy with it. I would not hesitate to recommend the K&K as many here do.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:15 AM

I have an Anthem (Stagepro) in my Cedar-top guitar, it's not the best sounding but as long as you have some EQ in your chain, take out the mids and it'll sound mostly like your guitar, amplified. Otherwise, there's somewhat of a piezo quack
Old 05-19-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

I should add that playing style is a factor. I play exclusively lower volume fingerstyle instrumental so quack is not a major factor for me in the amplified tone of either pickup.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:52 AM

I have an Anthem in my Dell'Arte dreadnaught and I absolutely love it. When gigging around Nashville I frequently get compliments from pro players about how good my live sound is.

I have an LR Baggs Para-Acoustic DI that I plug into between the guitar and the PA which allows me to dial in the EQ as well as add Reverb, Delay, etc. thru the FX loop on the DI.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:26 PM

Thanks all for the posts. It sounds like a mostly general consensus that it is a decent setup and with a little playing around it should be OK.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:23 PM

So I had a friend give me an anthem and I just got a Waterloo that needed a pickup. I had it installed last week and played a gig this weekend. I honestly feel like I couldn't get enough low end response that all my other guitars with K&Ks seem to have. I ordered a K&K today and will be installing it this week....
Old 05-19-2019, 07:36 PM

I know on my D41, there is no shortage of bass to start. GE with adi bracing with so I go easy with the eq for that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification