The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-20-2018, 05:07 AM

Default Like a million Emerald strings...well maybe just 17

Not mine..was on their FaceBook Page

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-20-2018, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

The KK-17 is especially unique as it has both steel and nylon strings. Kevin Kastning (its owner) also has a fifteen string nylon, as well as 30 string (Troicha) and 36 string Emerald guitars as well. I interviewed him for the book about Emerald, and they are working on another instrument now too.

http://www.kevinkastning.com
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 12-20-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine View Post
This one has both steel and nylon strings. Kevin Kastning (its owner) also has a fifteen string nylon, as well as 30 string (Troicha) and 36 string Emerald guitars as well. I interviewed him for the book about Emerald, and they are working on another instrument now too.

http://www.kevinkastning.com
Cool...must have kinda large hands.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-20-2018, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Cool...must have kinda large hands.
He plays them cello style, with an endpin.

Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass

Last edited by wickedwahine; 12-20-2018 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:24 AM

Biggest photo I ever did see... guess Its needed with sooo many strings... nevemind ...photo is gone
Old 12-20-2018, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Biggest photo I ever did see... guess Its needed with sooo many strings... nevemind ...photo is gone
Yeah way too big (from his website) so I tried to find a small one. I even uploaded one to imgur but it isn’t working. I give up. Just linking to his website instead for anyone that wants to see his instruments and how he plays them.

http://www.kevinkastning.com/
Old 12-20-2018, 06:45 AM

Steel and nylon on one guitar???!!!

What's the world coming too?!
Old 12-20-2018, 08:50 AM

I'm going to save that image, so I never have to hear a beginning guitar student complain about barre chords again! Just pull out that image and make them realize how good they have it with only six strings.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

I'm impressed by this kind of stuff, but I personally find six strings enough of a challenge, that I don't need to add any more complexity. I've enjoyed playing 12 strings because they're basically six strings with more sound and require a slightly different approach. But I never wanted to own one - too much hassle. I turned a tele into a 5 string once ala Keef back when I was playing a ton of Stones in my early 20s bands. 5-string Open G is as far as I ever went into alternate tunings too.

This instrument - do you still call it a guitar? - scares me just to look at it.

-Ray
Old 12-20-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I'm impressed by this kind of stuff, but I personally find six strings enough of a challenge, that I don't need to add any more complexity. I've enjoyed playing 12 strings because they're basically six strings with more sound and require a slightly different approach. But I never wanted to own one - too much hassle. I turned a tele into a 5 string once ala Keef back when I was playing a ton of Stones in my early 20s bands. 5-string Open G is as far as I ever went into alternate tunings too.

This instrument - do you still call it a guitar? - scares me just to look at it.

-Ray
I do like alternate tunings... a lot. I still agree with you though, I don't want something with too much complication. I readily admit attraction to the Amicus- I like that it skirts mandolin territory but you play it like a guitar.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:15 AM
Guest 928

Amazing! It is hard for me to imagine making or playing such an instrument. Muy incredible.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Here is his 36 string:

The 30 string:

The nylon 15 fan fret string:
Old 12-20-2018, 11:26 AM

It's always amazing what Alistair comes up with. Such creativity..... combined with the ability to actually make it happen.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

"Like a million strings"??? I have told you a million times to not exaggerate!
Old 12-20-2018, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

I wonder if it's available with a 1 3/4" nut?
It does amaze how Alistair can make dreams come true. Awesome stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber