The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-15-2018, 09:53 AM

Default Specifying neck profile

I have just commissioned a new guitar (details in due course), and a specification question has come up. The guitars I have played from this luthier have had necks which feel a bit big for me (I have short, fat, stubby fingers ). I know that I own other instruments where the necks feel more comfortable. Short of taking the best-necked guitars to the builder for a show and tell, what is the best way to communicate preferred neck profile?
Guitars by: Tom Sands, Michael Bashkin, Turnstone Guitars, Taran Guitars, Jeff Bamburg, Marchwood, Fylde, C F Martin, Patrick James Eggle, John Kinnaird, Yairi, Yamaha, National, Gretsch, Fender, Recording King, Camps
Old 04-15-2018, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Wink

Most builders can relate to the Martin stats. Low profile, modified V, etc. Most necks are variations of these. Not that Martin's profiles are the best, but they have blazed the trail, & due to popularity, most are aware & familiar with these, so they can be used as a starting point. They also have diagrams w/measurements available on their web site, that you can download (PDF) of all their profiles, so you can get a general idea.
Steve
Old 04-15-2018, 10:09 AM

For my builds that I specified, I bought a contour gauge at the local hardware store for like 30 bucks. Put it on the neck I liked the most, then traced that contour onto heavy construction paper, repeated it three times at the frets specified by the luthier, like 3, 7, and 12...sent three copies at each spot and they used those as a guide when carving the neck. It was easy and worked well.

I have heard of others making a mold with clay, but this seemed much easier to me.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Most builders can relate to the Martin stats
This assumes I can relate to what they mean; I have only ever owned one Martin, a O-28VS with a very chunky neck.

Quote:
I bought a contour gauge at the local hardware store
Yes, this has been something we have discussed, and sounds like a good way forward.
Guitars by: Tom Sands, Michael Bashkin, Turnstone Guitars, Taran Guitars, Jeff Bamburg, Marchwood, Fylde, C F Martin, Patrick James Eggle, John Kinnaird, Yairi, Yamaha, National, Gretsch, Fender, Recording King, Camps

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop