The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-24-2001, 11:19 PM

Post what Effects

I was wondering what efects everyone uses for acoustic?? I'll probably be getting some soon and just wanted some input...I know some of you ONLY like the clean sound of the acoustic but I like a little change every once in a while not to much though I'm not a big fan of what tim reynolds does....but he is a great guitarist
thanks
james
Old 03-25-2001, 12:10 AM

Today, I use a Korg G2 (I think?) acoustic multi-efx box, then into the mixer at church. It has features that I don't use, like various delay and reverb levels, and stereo capability. While it can store 9 presets, I typically only use 3:
- "clean" setting, just some EQ tone shaping
- add some moderate amount of chorus
- pseudo 12-string effect that I use sparingly, as it's rather metallic.

It's OK, but has that sterile digital sound. My Seagull with piezo REALLY needs some help before going into the mix, so this is an adequate solution.

Once my Taylor (with Dual Source) arrives, I think I may get rid of the Korg and simply get a Boss super chorus pedal. (Altho' the Korg has a built-in tuner with "silent" mode, which I might miss.)

~ Paul
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Old 03-25-2001, 05:17 PM

Cool

I went through a "Chorus" phase in the '80s. Although, I'm not into that anymore, other people might still be...
I prefer some reverb, some delay/echo, a graphic EQ, and a touch of compression.
Try out Fishman, Baggs, Tech 21 or Roland direct boxes. Each one has different features.
Also, try out DOD acousTEC, or Zoom 504. You're bound to find something that'll suit you.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 03-25-2001, 10:34 PM

I still like a good reverb to add a bit of "air" to the sound. For me, a parametric eq is worth it's weight in gold (or chocolate, or insert your favorite thing here______). I've been using chorus less and less, but every once in awhile, it's nice to add just a touch of "shimmer" around the edges. Not enough that you'd really be able to say: "he's using a chorus," but just enough to sweeten things every once in awhile.

Never was a fan of distortion on a acoustic, but some like it. Delay is a strange animal on acoustic to me. For that "Jam Man" type thing, I like digital for precision and clear reproduction. For subtle delay, it always seemed too precise and crisp for my ears.
Something that emulates a tape delay definitely sounds warmer as the high frequencies degrade a bit with each repeat. Slapback delay is sometimes fun as well.

Brett
Old 03-26-2001, 12:59 PM

I use the baggs para-acoustic di for EQ and sometimes the boss ce-2 for chorus and dd-3 for digital delay.
Fender CS 51 Nocaster
Fender AV65 Jazzmaster
Old 03-26-2001, 03:22 PM

I use compression just about every time I plug in. Reverb sounds good for any solos I do, but tends to get lost when I play with the congregation. Sometimes I mess around with some chorus, but not very often.
Old 03-26-2001, 03:40 PM

One great trick I discovered was running the microphone side of my dual source rig through a tube eq. Because I had the top end rolled off of the undersaddle pickup, it didn't enter into the equation. With the threshold set so that it would only engage the hottest signals from the internal mic, it allowed me to strum as hard as I wanted without hearing that "blaaat" sound you get from hitting the strings too hard; so even when the guitar's top DOES compress, that sound doesn't get emphasized.

Brett
Old 04-01-2001, 07:25 PM

well my 2 cents, when i had a short stint playing rhythm acoustic i had a washburn j28sce. it was a nice guitar, not up to standard to taylor, but it still had the same electronix that taylor uses now for thier low end models.
all i used were pedals. consisting of. a boss flanger, chorus, proco rat, a metal distortion, digital delay, parametric eq. not in that exact order but in as many combos as possible.
this whole rig went into a earth g2000 amp, a big and heavy cluker from the early 70's, but it was clean with out bieng sterie. it also had a nice spring revb for its 4 10' speakers

kev
Old 05-26-2001, 12:18 PM

Cool

Over the last 11 years I have used the DOD acoustic processor.It has 5 presets that I really like. It is no good for recording. I currently am using my second as the first one quit 5 years ago. They do not make this thing anymore so now I am trying to accomplish the same sounds with some stomp boxes. Also, I do not use a amp. We have a great sound system. The bands Mackie board has a great preamp. I play a K-20. My favorite preset on the DOD uses a little reverb, EQ, chorus and compression. It uses just enough to thicken the sound. As of yet, I have not been able to get the sound I want with the stomp boxes. Today I am going to add a Boss compression and 7 band EQ box. I am new to the pedal thing and suddenly my tone (with the boxes) is giving me fits. I believe the compressor will go along way with that.

As a side not. The K-20 has an awesome sound going direct with just a little reverb. However, I use chorus, phaser, tremolo, and flange individually on certain songs we do.

I would prefer to stay away from multi effects as most of them are made for electric guitar and they seem to try to make the acoustic sound electric.

Another note. The Boss digital reverb/delay stinks as does the Boss super chorus. I am going to try the Boss chorus ensemble next.

Any insights?
Old 05-26-2001, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jmfocus:
<STRONG>Over the last 11 years I have used the DOD acoustic processor.It has 5 presets that I really like. It is no good for recording.... My favorite preset on the DOD uses a little reverb, EQ, chorus and compression. It uses just enough to thicken the sound. As of yet, I have not been able to get the sound I want with the stomp boxes. Today I am going to add a Boss compression and 7 band EQ box. I am new to the pedal thing and suddenly my tone (with the boxes) is giving me fits. I believe the compressor will go along way with that....
I would prefer to stay away from multi effects as most of them are made for electric guitar and they seem to try to make the acoustic sound electric.

Any insights?</STRONG>
There's a Boss AD5 that has chorus and reverb. There's also a Fishman Platinum EQ D.I. which has an EQ an a compressor. Many people, though, have the Baggs P.A.D.I. These aren't stomp boxes, rather Direct Boxes designed for acoustic guitars going to a P.A. Give any of these a try if you haven't gotten the stomp boxes!
On the other hand, if you already have your compressor and graphic EQ, all you need is a D.I. box, IMHO.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 05-28-2001, 11:52 PM

Cool

Hey acoustic effects guys... Has anyone an opinion on the new Zoom 504 mkII acoustic pedal? Thanks!
Old 05-29-2001, 06:08 PM

I had a Zoom 504 (the original one) before and it wasn't that great. I used it with my old Takamine 334BC and it colored the sound too much that it sounded a lil too much like an electric or something. Personally I'm starting to like the pure acoustic sound (love the OBB, ahhhh, to use the mic, ahhh).
Randall

Oh, and for a nice DI/Acoustic Processor, everyone try out an Avalon U5 by Avalon Designs. It's basically a DI box that also has a slight tone enhancer. Many bass players use this for onstage stuff, but it also works well for acoustic guitars.
Old 05-30-2001, 02:04 PM

I use the Boss CE-5 chorus on my Dual Source equipped Seagull and a Boss Tuner pedal (not an effect, I know) when I play in church.

I will probably not use the chorus on the 810 since it's waay shimmery already.

I was told at a Maranatha worship training conference that one of the most useful effects is compression, although I have yet to come across anyone else who uses it. The guitarist told me he uses it for evening out strumming sound.

Ken
Old 05-30-2001, 02:07 PM

I use the Boss CE-5 chorus on my Dual Source equipped Seagull and a Boss Tuner pedal (not an effect, I know) when I play in church.

I will probably not use the chorus on the 810 since it's waay shimmery already.

I was told at a Maranatha worship training conference that one of the most useful effects is compression, although I have yet to come across anyone else who uses it. The guitarist told me he uses it for evening out strumming sound.

Ken
Old 05-30-2001, 07:58 PM

I have just started using the boss cs-3 compression pedal. I too lead worship. I am still trying to dial it in. It seems that for the mellow stuff it really helps the sound. I run it after the chorus pedal, but, I lose some dynamics when the rhythym gets loud.

You guys are going to think I'm crazy. Here is the current chain of pedals I am playing with.

TU-2 tuner, NS-2 noise suppressor ( through the loop I have a chorus, flange, phasor and tremolo) then a reverb/delay, CS-3 compression, then GE-7 eq. All for a K-20 Taylor guitar.

I am trying to replace the sounds that I used in a DOD acoustic multi-effects unit. I must say that the sound has really become clean. The boss pedals really blow away the DOD stuff. But, now if I could just get it dialed in.

[ 05-30-2001: Message edited by: Jmfocus ]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification