The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-02-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspblues View Post
On a few. Some i had installed before delivery. No change I noticed.
Ps.. I have the k&k in 2 Yamahas. Sounds good, works well, but you need something like a Para DI. I'm not looking for more to carry.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
The K&K has zero effect on unplugged tone and volume. Can the same be truthfully said of the Anthem? I've never tried one, but I find it difficult to believe that a 'soft' UST doesn't degrade unplugged volume/tone, even if only to a lesser degree.

Does anyone have any experience they can relate? I ask because I'm also thinking of replacing the K&K in my HD or Lowden with an Anthem.
As hard as it might be to believe for someone who has never tried one, I can say with the experience of an Anthem SL in two of my acoustics that it has had no effect on the unplugged tone. These acoustics are an Eastman dred and a Larrivee L03. These are the guitars that need the least EQ 'tweaking' to get a genuine and pleasing acoustic tone plugged in.

Now, I'm well aware that since this is a forum there will be others with no experience who will disagree authoritatively. YMMV, IMHO, EIEIO
Old 09-02-2018, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

I have had Great experience with the Anthem. I agree with Petty1818 that has great fidelity. He said Hi-Fi and I think it terms of offering the most mic-like detail, that is true. I also have a K&K in another very high end Martin Outlaw. The K&K is great at low to medium volume. It is warm and musical. But it lacks the 'air' and presence of the Anthem in ways.

I have to say I prefer the Anthem, but I really like the K&K.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-02-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
The K&K has zero effect on unplugged tone and volume. Can the same be truthfully said of the Anthem? I've never tried one, but I find it difficult to believe that a 'soft' UST doesn't degrade unplugged volume/tone, even if only to a lesser degree.

Does anyone have any experience they can relate? I ask because I'm also thinking of replacing the K&K in my HD or Lowden with an Anthem.
I've installed quite a few Baggs Element USTs and not noticed any change in the acoustic tone. Others will say different and there was a poll on this a few months ago.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=515992
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-02-2018, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for that link Jon. I'd forgotten about that thread - I think it throws up sufficient doubt in my mind about the Anthem for me to decide to 'pass' on it, and leave the K&K installed.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-17-2019, 12:33 PM

I wish they would team up and do the K&K in place of the Baggs under the saddle pickup and have the True Tone Mic as well so you can mix the woodiness with the air!
Old 05-21-2019, 01:11 PM

I had he K&K and their preamp in my HD28. I found it to be really hard to EQ for live work. So much so that I never played it out after a few attempts to get an acceptable sound from it. I currently have the Anthem SL in my J100XT, and my Hummingbird Artist and I really cant say enough good things about it. From a live standpoint they sound amazing with a little initial fine tuning to blend the UST and Microphone. After that its set the volume and go.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:41 PM

Could you leave the K&K installed, add the Anthem, then blend the 3 sources?
Might be an option. Not sure how that's hooked up but think it's possible from reading other posts.

I'm looking at a jjb330 with the Anthem SL

Good luck!
Gibson LG0 Hog 64
Old 06-17-2019, 12:26 AM

Hi,

In answer to rvf I'd say Yes you can !
But what I'm looking for is also some system EASY to manage. If you connect those 2 systems (Anthem and K&K) you will need 4 cable just to connect your guitar + you need a mixer + effects. And you'll need to mix all that.

Easy for me is Anthem + 1 cable to the mixer and that's it ! You get a nice sound quite natural, no feedback (or less beefback) and if you look for an even more natural sound you add a mike.

I also have the Tonedexter who works very well but again you need more cables. I like to get to any mixer and just connect.

Last edited by Gae; 06-17-2019 at 06:29 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification