The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-06-2002, 07:27 PM

Default In Ear Monitoring and Acoustic Guitars..

Anyone using In Ear monitors with acoustic guitars live? I was wondering in a solo situation, if there was reduced feedback associated with soundhole mic/Loud monitor problems...I would think using in ears, would virtually eliminate the feedback problem...Just wondering if anyone has any experience with any of this.

Sean

Last edited by sventvkg; 01-06-2002 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:24 AM

I use a miniflex mic on my Big Baby Taylor. I've gigged in some pretty big clubs as well as outdoor theatres as a solo act. I've never used in-ear monitors (although I'd like to). I find that guys who really know how to run sound don't have a problem with feedback. When I first started using this setup, I used a sound-hole plug just in case. I didn't like the sound of my guitar though, so I removed the plug and haven't had a problem since. But again, I think it depends on your sound man. Hope that helps!
Old 01-09-2002, 08:25 AM

Hi, I hope I can help you with this. The guys in my band and I had a Monitoring problem that we felt could be resolved using IEM's.We chose Sennheisser units purely because we all had different needs in respect of the sound.These units were able to allow us to separate the instruments and vocals via two separate fields that "appeared" as "front of the head " / "back of the head"........as opposed to left/right.
In theory that is a good plan but IN-FACT due to getting all of your audible signals via mics etc your audible sense of the audience / stage / band member to band member perspective all changes and for us........did not work.
Here in the U.K. that was a very expensive experiment that didn't work.
I must add, though , that it was NOT because of the products ....purely personal requirement.
We resolve the problem by using backline acoustic amps for the instruments and "vocals only" via the monitors.

All the best.......Carsy
Old 01-12-2002, 05:43 PM

Carsy,

If I understand what you are saying correctly, you can get a good sense of how you sound in the mix, as compared to your bandmates by using "instrument only" monitors, placed behing the band, and "vocal only" monitors coming at you (in front). Is that right?

Sounds like a good plan for a band. Does this set-up give you more of one than the other ie..Band Sound perspective versus sound from the listening audience's perspective?

<><
Ron
Lonesome Picker (NC)
Old 01-14-2002, 06:05 AM

Hi Ron,
My buddies and I have a 3 piece band and no sound guy. We use a 1200w Mackie mixer /amp into 4 x Bose 802's from one side of the amp and
2 x 100w wedge monitors from the other side of the amp....( this is just a feature of the Mackie which allows EQ for Monitors and Front of House separately.
We now use a couple of Marshall acoustic amps D.I.'d for the Guitars Mandolin Banjo etc and a
D.I.d Peavey amp for the Bass.
What we hear on "stage" ..(its actually some Pubs)
is:-
1.Individual Guitar via the amps

2.Blended Vocals via the Monitors

3.A very "light" mix of the guitars via the Wedges

4.No bass via the Monitors....Light bass onstage
via the Bass amp (avoids "flooding the area with
Bass....if you play live you'll know what I
mean..) Bass delivery is via the P.A.

Using this we can separate everything..AND...
we don't end up geting unwanted noises into the
Monitor mix via Earphones.

The unfortunate part is that you NEED to experience a couple of gigs using IEM's and because of obvious hygene restrictions you may not get the opportunity......bottom line is...our way works for us.
If you get a sympathetic local Music shop , they may allow you to use the IEM's on trial using your own headset.....but you WILL need several gigs to get the full effect.

Which part of N.C are you in.........? ..All the best...Carsy
Old 01-16-2002, 04:04 PM

Carsy,

Thanks for the great repsonse. I live in Eastern North Carolina about 2 hours from the coast. BTW, I was in Scotland last year in February. My niece is at the University in St. Andrews. Loved Edinburough!

<><
Ron
Lonesome Picker (NC)
Old 01-28-2002, 03:19 AM

Hi Ron,
The reason I asked for your location is that I was taught lutherie ( ..I make "A" style mandolins and stuff)...by a guy from Raleigh who
is , sadly , no longer with us.
Hope the thread has helped with the PA / Monitor thing...........Cheers , Eric

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification