The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-05-2009, 10:48 AM

Default New to forum

Hi all, I am new to both the forum and taking guitar playing seriously. I have been playing chords on guitar for about 20 years but have never attempted to play anything else. Now is the time. Could anyone suggest some easy pieces that I could try to get me working the fingers.

I stupidly looked at Cavatina and gave up after the second bar thinking it to be impossible. Any thoughts about the level of difficulty Cavatina would be in the great sceme of things? Is it harder than I thought or do I stick to chords? It does sound very easy!!

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:16 AM
happiness

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Romanza might be a bit more accessible. http://www.guitaretab.com/m/misc-traditional/12558.html

I'd also suggest it would be worth taking some lessons - a good teacher can help you to make a breakthrough.

Fliss
Old 09-05-2009, 02:01 PM

Hi Fliss, thanks a lot for that. I looked at it and it certainly looks a lot easier than cavatina. I mananged the first half a dozen bars with no practice so I think I would be able to get that one with a little practice. Thanks again.

Paul
Old 09-05-2009, 02:27 PM

I'll second the Romanza suggestion. It's a fun piece to play and not too difficult. If you are looking for fingerstyle songs, House of the Rising Sun and Dust in the Wind are relatively easy. Oh and welcome to the forum!
Old 09-05-2009, 09:20 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
Any thoughts about the level of difficulty Cavatina would be in the great sceme of things? Is it harder than I thought or do I stick to chords? It does sound very easy!!
Cavatina is one of those pieces that *sounds* a lot simpler than it really is. Part of the actual difficulty is due to the bar chords involved, and the other is because it requires a lot of fluidity of playing to be phrased properly. Think the John Williams arrangement was hard? Try this one that I'm tabbing out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Ge4jJrZPE

Anyway, I don't think it was "stupid", as you mentioned. It's good to have something over your head to work towards. And I'll second (third?) the Romanza suggestions if you're looking for something in the classical genre.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 09-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Hi PaulF...
Hello and welcome to the forum. We are glad you joined, and there are a lot of casually serious players around here. I'm sure you will get some more recommendations.

Am - Greensleeves (What Child Is This)
C - Freight Train

Both pretty easy pieces that sound nice enough to play for others, and are fun to conquer...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-05-2009, 10:38 PM

New to the forum ? Well, you'll age here very quickly...

Welcome...
Old 09-07-2009, 03:39 PM

thanks for all the suggestions and warm welcome. I hope I will learn a lot from here and who know maybe one day will be able to give a future newby some advice ... like 'try Romanza, nice piece to start with'

Again thanks to you all

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write