The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-31-2009, 09:29 PM

Default From DADGAD to Standard tuning...can I use the same chords?

So I was looking at a couple of folk songs (by Stan Rogers) and discovered they were in DADGAD tuning. I have the relevant chord progressions for the specific songs in that tuning, but as I want to play the song in standard (I'm not ready to tackle a whole new set of chord shapes at this stage in my guitar learing journey) do I just use the same chords (I know they are not the same chord SHAPES)? Or do I need to transpose them?

And as most are played in DADGAD capoed at the 5th, if I do use the same chords do I also leave the capo on the 5th, or move it to make my guitar sound the same as his recordings?

Thanks in advance...

Rc
Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 PM

It depends if they labeled the chords independent of the capo position. Can u give an example?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcadian View Post
...And as most are played in DADGAD capoed at the 5th, if I do use the same chords do I also leave the capo on the 5th, or move it to make my guitar sound the same as his recordings?
Hi rc...
Songs in DADGAD can be ported to other tunings, including standard tuning...and if you capo at the same fret they did and play in the same key (probably key of Dmaj or Gmaj), then it will sound in the same key.

DADGAD pieces sometimes translate very well to Dropped D, or Esus capo two frets lower than the original and play in key of D shapes relative to the capo. Sometimes they turn out a bit empty or too consonant sounding.

If the original was in DADGAD capoed at the 5th fret, you'd stick an Esus capo on the 3rd fret, a standard capo on the first (to setup the open strings), and play in key of D relative to the capo and it would sound in the same key as the original. The standard always follows two frets behind the Esus for DADGAD voicings and intervals.

I have one song that gets played in CGCGCD, DADGAD or Esus capo, and I have to make minor accommodations to revoice some of the chords.

Chord voicing of course will be the biggest differences if you go to standard from DADGAD followed by some of the runs which fall on open strings in DADGAD and have to be articulated, and fretted in standard tuning.

This is why sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-01-2009, 07:44 AM

Larry, Thanks as always...so without going out to buy an Esus capo (or before I do), if the chord progression relative to the capo on the 5th fret and in DADGAD tuning is, G C D G Am, I CAN play that without transposing it to another key or moving the capo and it should sound the same? And any tonal differences are due to different chord voicing...Is that right, or have I misunderstood your reply...

Sorry if I'm being dumb here...

Rc
Old 09-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcadian View Post
Larry, Thanks as always...so without going out to buy an Esus capo (or before I do), if the chord progression relative to the capo on the 5th fret and in DADGAD tuning is, G C D G Am, I CAN play that without transposing it to another key or moving the capo and it should sound the same? And any tonal differences are due to different chord voicing...Is that right, or have I misunderstood your reply...

Sorry if I'm being dumb here...

Rc
Hi rc...
I think you got it...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-01-2009, 10:56 AM

THANKS again...

Rc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write