The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 05:24 PM

Default Martin 00-28VS and 00-18 Authentic 1931

Hi,

I'm interested in adding a 12 fret 00 Martin to my collection and was wondering if anyone had experience with the 00-28VS and 00-18 Authentic 1931.

I realize we're talking about sitka/rosewood in comparison to adirondack/mahogany among other differences so it's not exactly an equal comparison. I'm definitely not looking for "better/worse" and instead am curious to hear a general comparison of the two.

I've played (and quite enjoyed but didn't have the funds at the time for) a 00-28VS a few years back. Since I'm looking at relatively small volume guitars that are both out of production at this point the odds of finding them locally are very slim for me. I'd very much appreciate some general impressions of your experiences with both.

Thank you!
Old 10-26-2020, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

I'm not very good at this sort of thing but here goes. It's been to long since I've played a 00-28VS so I can't compare them. I have had some high end 00-18 12 fret guitars that had a little bit of a boxy sound. The 00-18A doesn't have that. It has the Martin sound and is a perfect sounding 00-18 12 fret guitar. As you would imagine it in other words. It's nicely responsive and there's nothing more to ask for out of a 00-18 guitar.

http://onemanz.com/guitar/reviews/ac...uthentic-1931/

I totally agree with this review. Try not to buy one after you read the review and listen to the video. I dare you.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-26-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I'm not very good at this sort of thing but here goes. It's been to long since I've played a 00-28VS so I can't compare them. I have had some high end 00-18 12 fret guitars that had a little bit of a boxy sound. The 00-18A doesn't have that. It has the Martin sound and is a perfect sounding 00-18 12 fret guitar. As you would imagine it in other words. It's nicely responsive and there's nothing more to ask for out of a 00-18 guitar.

http://onemanz.com/guitar/reviews/ac...uthentic-1931/

I totally agree with this review. Try not to buy one after you read the review and listen to the video. I dare you.
I'm scared to click the link... haha. I can't buy it NOW now (probably 3-6 months from now I will) but this may hurry things up a little haha.

I appreciate the response, thank you!
Old 10-26-2020, 06:37 PM

Both are outstanding guitars. The 00-28vs does not sound boxy at all and represents one of the best buys from the Martin catalogue in my opinion.

I love the string spacing at 1 7/8ths at the nut and 2 5/16ths at the saddle, which if memory serves, is the same for the 00-18 Authentic.

It is true that many small guitars can sound boxy or can be easily overplayed and one must develop a "touch" to get the best out of them - but both of these choices are robust enough that you'd have to try pretty hard to overplay them.

The Authentic is louder over all and is very alive but if you are a rosewood fan then the 00-28vs is no slouch either. The 00-28vs should be considerably cheaper.

Finally, I have to admit that over the years rosewood won me over and now, when I want a mahogany guitar I look for one with a mahogany top as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion