The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2020, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Question Tuner button suggestions -Grover Mini Rotomatics

I’m interested in changing the chrome buttons for a faux tortoise or similar. Will buttons for the full size Rotomatics work? Suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by salsarev; 10-25-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:15 PM

Any aftermarket tuner buttons intended for Grover tuners should work; the one problem that might crop up is that the clutch screws that hold the buttons onto the tuner shafts and regulated the tension will probably be too short to hold a full-sized button onto a mini tuner.

You should be able to get those screws from Allparts.

From the way you phrased your post I assume that you either have the larger buttons already or have a set in your sights.

So long as the buttons were specifically intended for Grover tuners you’ll be okay, and it’s a simple matter of getting the right screws to be able to mount them on your tuners.

I’m emphasizing this because sometimes aftermarket buttons have the Grover button kidney bean shape but be intended for other brands of tuners; I have a couple of Grover shape buttons on Gotoh tuners on a couple of guitars.

I got those not because I‘m a big fan of the kidney bean buttons, because they were made out of a material that I thought looked good: a grained ivoroid set on one guitar and a cherry wood set on another.

If I had had my preference I would have gotten those buttons in the Schaller button shapes, but they simply didn’t have any. So I went with the Grover shape that was available.

To recap: yes it’s entirely possible to put full size Grover buttons on mini Grover tuners, so long as you get the correct clutch screws to mount them with. The retailer that’s most likely to have those in stock is Allparts.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-25-2020, 09:26 PM

This is a timely thread for me. I recently acquired a Gibson with Grover rotomatic minis and have been considering replacement buttons myself. Appreciate the info Wade.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:43 PM

Oh, I’m glad to help.

One fairly important point that I forgot to mention in my previous post is that if you look at Allparts’ website and don’t see the parts you’re looking for, don’t assume that they don’t have it. They often have parts on hand that just didn’t make it to the website, for whatever reason.

So if you don’t see what you’re looking for on the website, call during Central Time business hours and ask.

whm
Old 10-26-2020, 06:06 AM

I bought both mini-Gotoh and mini-Grover ebony tuner buttons recently from Guitar Parts Factory.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

the Hipshot brand sells a bunch of variations and they're all only like $10-12 shipped and they work with Grovers Rotomatics
Old 10-26-2020, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Any aftermarket tuner buttons intended for Grover tuners should work; the one problem that might crop up is that the clutch screws that hold the buttons onto the tuner shafts and regulated the tension will probably be too short to hold a full-sized button onto a mini tuner.

You should be able to get those screws from Allparts.

From the way you phrased your post I assume that you either have the larger buttons already or have a set in your sights.

So long as the buttons were specifically intended for Grover tuners you’ll be okay, and it’s a simple matter of getting the right screws to be able to mount them on your tuners.

I’m emphasizing this because sometimes aftermarket buttons have the Grover button kidney bean shape but be intended for other brands of tuners; I have a couple of Grover shape buttons on Gotoh tuners on a couple of guitars.

I got those not because I‘m a big fan of the kidney bean buttons, because they were made out of a material that I thought looked good: a grained ivoroid set on one guitar and a cherry wood set on another.

If I had had my preference I would have gotten those buttons in the Schaller button shapes, but they simply didn’t have any. So I went with the Grover shape that was available.

To recap: yes it’s entirely possible to put full size Grover buttons on mini Grover tuners, so long as you get the correct clutch screws to mount them with. The retailer that’s most likely to have those in stock is Allparts.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
the Hipshot brand sells a bunch of variations and they're all only like $10-12 shipped and they work with Grovers Rotomatics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I bought both mini-Gotoh and mini-Grover ebony tuner buttons recently from Guitar Parts Factory.

Thanks to all of you for all the great info!
Old 10-26-2020, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinTac View Post
This is a timely thread for me. I recently acquired a Gibson with Grover rotomatic minis and have been considering replacement buttons myself. Appreciate the info Wade.
Here's an Ebay store (I've bought from before) that has very good prices on the Hipshot buttons - six buttons for the price of shipping on the Hipshot site!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion