The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-20-2020, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Stating the obvious. Is not part of a high end guitar guitar's appeal the aesthetics?

Guitars are way more than tools, a screwdriver is a tool. A good guitar is a magical thing.
Obvious to whom ?

First : Did you forget to read the second sentence in my post you quoted ?
This one
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
For me aesthetics , which we all can appreciate, is not only (totally subjective) , but great aesthetics are simply a bonus feature , and not really a predefined list of exclusionary requirements.
Personally I think "the magic" comes from the player, not the guitar of course ..... YMMV

But even if it is a :magical thing" in and of itself ,,,,,,, That has nothing to do with the OP, or whether or not a barn door inherently diminishes those aesthetics or magic . That observation is subjective, not objective.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-20-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Since we're just talking here.

Maybe, No and ok fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Obvious to whom ?

First : Did you forget to read the second sentence in my post you quoted ?
This one

Personally I think "the magic" comes from the player, not the guitar of course ..... YMMV

But even if it is a :magical thing" in and of itself ,,,,,,, That has nothing to do with the OP, or whether or not a barn door inherently diminishes those aesthetics or magic . That observation is subjective, not objective.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:34 PM

I bought an Martin OM15 gloss a few years back on a whim, and I just never being gigged with it, because I hated the K&K pickups in it. So one day, I removed the K&Ks, cut a hole in the side of it, and installed a B-Band barn-door 2 pickup XOM system in it. Now it's a great little gigger. The only aesthetic change is, now I look down at it, and see some EQ, notch filter, battery strength indicator, tuner, and a pickup blend slider, all things that make gigging much easier. I know it's not a real high end guitar, but traditionalists would still blow a fuse of what I did to it Oh yeah I also put a pick-guard on it!

Old 10-20-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccorobb View Post
A local sale for a bourgeois OMC at a really great price has me asking myself this question. The system in question is a fishman aura. A buddy of mine has the exact same configuration in his Gibson songwriter and it sounds fantastic, but it is a big old fat barn door cut into the side of the guitar that can never be undone. Any guidance?
If it sounds good, it sounds good. Barn door or not.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 10-22-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccorobb View Post
A local sale for a bourgeois OMC at a really great price has me asking myself this question. The system in question is a fishman aura. A buddy of mine has the exact same configuration in his Gibson songwriter and it sounds fantastic, but it is a big old fat barn door cut into the side of the guitar that can never be undone. Any guidance?
Historically I have HATED the barn door pickup, they look awful.

Last year I had a luthier make me a high end acoustic and guess what? I fitted a fishman barn door. Why?

I had been using the k&k mini pickup with the k&k pre-amp that hangs off my belt. Great sound but on stage when the extra nerves and time pressure of an open mic performance it just didn't work for me. The eq knobs are small and fiddly, have no detent to know where middle of range is, for me, anyway, a less than optimal experience.

Also tried the fishman eq / pre-amp / di that sits on the floor (can't remember name but it's like a large pedal), again the knobs are too far away to easily adjust mid performance.

So I went for the barn door to best enhance my experience when on stage and I'm very happy with it. Easy to see the volume and eq settings, easy to adjust same. Still think they are ugly as can be, but mostly from the audience perspective it's not that visible.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post

Last year I had a luthier make me a high end acoustic and guess what? I fitted a fishman barn door. Why?

I had been using the k&k mini pickup with the k&k pre-amp that hangs off my belt. Great sound but on stage when the extra nerves and time pressure of an open mic performance it just didn't work for me. The eq knobs are small and fiddly, have no detent to know where middle of range is, for me, anyway, a less than optimal experience.

Also tried the fishman eq / pre-amp / di that sits on the floor (can't remember name but it's like a large pedal), again the knobs are too far away to easily adjust mid performance.

So I went for the barn door to best enhance my experience when on stage and I'm very happy with it. Easy to see the volume and eq settings, easy to adjust same. Still think they are ugly as can be, but mostly from the audience perspective it's not that visible.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I totally get the utility of the barn door. I have a fishman barn door system in one guitar and it is my go to instrument if I will be in a place where extra gear would be difficult to bring along (an open mic is a perfect example). But it is my cheapest guitar, an old Ibanez art wood from the '90s.
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 10-22-2020, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post

Are you running the K&K through The barn door pre, or is it another package all together
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification