The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-30-2020, 08:12 AM

It depends on what type of song I am working on and what I think the song needs. I don’t really do instrumentals. That said, I have four main acoustics that I use for recording. They are listed in my sig below. But, I have really been digging my Hummingbird 1960 reissue lately. It’s a great strummer and a surprisingly good finger picker for the sorta “classic” rock style songs I enjoy composing.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

I would agree that looking at the Martin M-36 (0000) size and their GP size, which is a near clone of the Taylor *14 (GA) body (also to be included in the review/search).

I recorded several tunes with my Martin GPCPA3 and friend's Taylor 714ce and they are very easy to work with. Now, we're flatpickers, but several friends/acquaintances use different (7-8-9) level Taylor *14ce's and have recorded some fine fingerstyle music. I'd be looking at those. Another friend has a traditional Larrivee that's probably close to that size. Great guitar - I probably have recorded that, too, but, honestly, he sounds and records amazingly on an HD-35.

I played a couple maple guitars in that size and really did not like them, but I'm more of a rosewood, with its overtones, fan.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:18 AM

I custom ordered a Maple/Cedar Taylor GC 12 fret a few years ago, and it's a wonderful recording guitar.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:25 PM

Default Thanks to all

Thank you all for your input. I know its hard to recommend for another as some of you guys have pointed out, I get that but i was looking for principals as much as direct recommends i.e 'this wood with this wood makes for a good mid focused guitar'.

I am finding this a tough time to be buying as in the Uk its hard to go into stores and have the run as you normally would, some shops are limiting it to 3 guitars as a max to try out. When you have £5K to spend, that doesn't really cut it, I want to get this right.

I wil be heading back to a store later this week to try a few more, not sure what yet but so far for me the Taylor that is still on my list is the K14CE Builders Edition, koa back and sides with a spruce top.

Thanks for all your help guys
Matthew
Old 08-31-2020, 05:06 AM

I have always found that my mahogany or Sapele backed guitars have recorded better - more clarity and balance to my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 08-31-2020, 10:51 AM

Before you buy another guitar specifically for recording, I'd suggest you play around with mic positioning. I found that the best position for my HD-28V was not one of the positions most-recommended in the various videos I watched.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-01-2020, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Smile

I don't know what your budget is, but you do have a very nice recording setup.

This guitar would be extremely balanced and much more responsive:
https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/20...pruce-069.html

It's a great deal for a pre-owned Kraut too. The elevated fingerboard option alone is $2,000. Ray uses really hard European maple which works well as a tone wood on his guitars.

Good luck on your search.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 09-01-2020, 10:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattseed View Post
Hi guys I am looking for an acoustic that will be great for recording. I’ve had a few high end a Lowdens with the F body shape and struggled a bit with getting good consistent recorded tone. Mainly due to the very complex deep and powerful overtones they gave. So I’m looking for something that’s a little more mid focused with a strong fundamental tone.

I’ve started playing a few Taylor’s in store that I like inc the K14CE builders Edition, which is Kos and also the 614CE builders edition which is maple back n sides.

Any thoughts on either of these two or anymore string contenders?

Thank you
Matthew
Hi Matt,
I would reconsider your issues with the Lowden. Among the most famous fingerstyle players is Pierre Bensusan who plays an F body Lowden since forever.

Having access to a well equipped studio doesn’t preclude learning some new tricks.

Maybe Doug Young could point you in the right direction.

https://youtu.be/bba9bI2v-zc

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 09-01-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I’ve had a few high end a Lowdens with the F body shape and struggled a bit with getting good consistent recorded tone...
If you basically like Lowdens, well, this lady has one that I've heard many times and I love the recorded sound of it. She's got a K&K Mini and what you're hearing his a combo of that and the SM58.

Couch Standards
Old 09-01-2020, 03:15 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input however I’ve already sold my Lowden. Trust me though it wasn’t right for me, I have been playing for 30 years and recording for nearly 20. I’m not saying I know it all, but I do know what I’m doing and have a lot of great gear and know all the tricks. I did get a great recorded tone but it wasn’t consistent and still required a lot of EQ to balance, the low end overtones were massive. That video with Doug playing sounds great but he is using a thumb pick. I tried that and it was much better, but I can’t play with them very well.....sadly.

I shall see how I get on this week when I try out some Taylor’s.
Matt
Old 09-01-2020, 05:00 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Avalon, Guild and Larrivee.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-01-2020, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That video with Doug playing sounds great but he is using a thumb pick. I tried that and it was much better, but I can’t play with them very well.....sadly.
I don't think a thumbpick particularly affects whether a guitar records well. I use one because I like the sound I get with it acoustically. Other people get a good sound, or a sound they prefer, without one. The issue of capturing that sound is kind of independent. I've not found Lowdens to be hard to record, but that probably has to do with the sound I want - I like a big complex sound. That F (PB) model Howard pointed to isn't even a big Lowden, it's a fairly balanced one. I've recorded with the big O-sized ones without any problems.

For the most part, I don't subscribe to the idea of guitars being easier or harder to record. For example, on my last CD, a series of duets with Teja Gerken, we used 12 different guitars that ranged from Lowden O models to very small guitars, including 12-strings and resonators. None were any easier or harder to record.

If you like the sound of a guitar, you should be able to capture it on a recording. Sometimes I think what happens is that we aren't really hearing the guitar when we play, at least not from the front, so that when we hear a recording, we say "that guitar doesn't record well". What I think is really happening is either it's a bad recording, period, or we're really saying "I don't actually like the way that guitar sounds", which is fine.

I do think a relatively balanced guitar is probably a bit more versatile and maybe more forgiving of mic placement - one of the reasons OMs are popular, but that's true even outside of recording. OM's are just well-balanced guitars (in general), and may require less attention to mic placement than louder, bassier guitars. But sometimes, you want the sound of a deeper guitar.

Anyway, long winded way of saying I think you just could find a guitar that fits your style and taste, and that you're sure sounds good acoustically, and then figure out the right mic choice and placement for it.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:50 PM

The K14 is a good choice, I’ve had one for about a year. I wrote lengthy comment on it, but got logged out and lost it, so I’ll go over the highlights.. it’s super stable hardly ever goes out of tune, you can get a different guitar but not a better one. The action is superb from the factory, fast leads or power strumming aren’t a challenge for it... You might check out the 714 V class, to me the rosewood sounds smoother and I had a tough choice between them... the only thing I don’t always like about it, is that it projects the bass outward so even though it puts out a fair amount it can sound a little weak while holding it, which might be a problem possibly for recording with a mic as you’ll record more low end than you hear, not a big deal though... the silent satin finish is a pain too.. it easily rubs to a gloss shine, not too happy about that either, but I don’t plan on selling it so as long as it plays good for a few decades I’m ok... I added a thinwood (brand) rosewood wood pickguard to mine to slow the wear down, didn’t affect the tone and looks less naked which I prefer... even spending 5 grand Taylor wouldn’t even talk to me about buying a wood pickguard from them BTW...

Last edited by Rob7980; 09-01-2020 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 09-01-2020, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input however I’ve already sold my Lowden. Trust me though it wasn’t right for me, I have been playing for 30 years and recording for nearly 20. I’m not saying I know it all, but I do know what I’m doing and have a lot of great gear and know all the tricks. I did get a great recorded tone but it wasn’t consistent and still required a lot of EQ to balance, the low end overtones were massive. That video with Doug playing sounds great but he is using a thumb pick. I tried that and it was much better, but I can’t play with them very well.....sadly.

I shall see how I get on this week when I try out some Taylor’s.
Matt
I suspect that your right hand technique for fingerstyle may be playing a role here. If so, the guitar used won't change that very much.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I don't think a thumbpick particularly affects whether a guitar records well. I use one because I like the sound I get with it acoustically. Other people get a good sound, or a sound they prefer, without one. The issue of capturing that sound is kind of independent. I've not found Lowdens to be hard to record, but that probably has to do with the sound I want - I like a big complex sound. That F (PB) model Howard pointed to isn't even a big Lowden, it's a fairly balanced one. I've recorded with the big O-sized ones without any problems.

For the most part, I don't subscribe to the idea of guitars being easier or harder to record. For example, on my last CD, a series of duets with Teja Gerken, we used 12 different guitars that ranged from Lowden O models to very small guitars, including 12-strings and resonators. None were any easier or harder to record.

If you like the sound of a guitar, you should be able to capture it on a recording. Sometimes I think what happens is that we aren't really hearing the guitar when we play, at least not from the front, so that when we hear a recording, we say "that guitar doesn't record well". What I think is really happening is either it's a bad recording, period, or we're really saying "I don't actually like the way that guitar sounds", which is fine.

I do think a relatively balanced guitar is probably a bit more versatile and maybe more forgiving of mic placement - one of the reasons OMs are popular, but that's true even outside of recording. OM's are just well-balanced guitars (in general), and may require less attention to mic placement than louder, bassier guitars. But sometimes, you want the sound of a deeper guitar.

Anyway, long winded way of saying I think you just could find a guitar that fits your style and taste, and that you're sure sounds good acoustically, and then figure out the right mic choice and placement for it.

This certainly mirrors my experience - good advice.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD