The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-16-2020, 04:51 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Where I work we run our DAWs on Windows 10. We started on Windows, went to MAC, and then had to move back to Windows when Apple abandoned the pro video market. Right now when I am working at home I'm running Nuendo 10 on a Windows Surface laptop. It is as slick as grits and as quick as a jackrabbit in a date.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-16-2020, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

I did a search for best DAWS for beginners
This is what came up.
https://producelikeapro.com/blog/bes...for-beginners/

Not surprised that Calkwalk came up as the first option and its free.

What ever you decide most options offer a free trail period and loads of training on line
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-16-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
I did a search for best DAWS for beginners
This is what came up.
https://producelikeapro.com/blog/bes...for-beginners/

Not surprised that Calkwalk came up as the first option and its free.

What ever you decide most options offer a free trail period and loads of training on line
What's amazing is Cakewalk was the ONLY DAW that I could not get to work for me after spending a bit less than $200 on Sonar. I tried it on two Windows PCs with no success and their tech help line offered me a couple of ideas that I'd already tried and then said they didn't know what to tell me.

The experience left a very bitter taste for their products. I'm glad it's free now, but it wouldn't be worth that to me.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
What's amazing is Cakewalk was the ONLY DAW that I could not get to work for me after spending a bit less than $200 on Sonar. I tried it on two Windows PCs with no success and their tech help line offered me a couple of ideas that I'd already tried and then said they didn't know what to tell me.

The experience left a very bitter taste for their products. I'm glad it's free now, but it wouldn't be worth that to me.
Hmmmm, sounds like a “ghost in the machine”. the only time I ever had an issue with getting a daw up and running was due either to a converter or firmware issue.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-16-2020, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Default DAW

Cakewalk Sonar has worked perfectly for me on several Windows PC's. I would definitely recommend it, and it's now free!

Having said that, I also like Presonus Studio One 4 Pro (5 is the current version). I use that more than Sonar now, as it just seemed more intuitive.

If you intend on buying an audio interface (like the Focusrite Scarlett USB range) to do recording at home, you may want to hold off until you decide on which one you are going to purchase. Many of them come with free DAW software. Sometimes the free DAW is a lighter version, but upgrading to the full version is much cheaper than buying it outright.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 08-17-2020, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Here's a Game Plan

Aloha Andrew,

Here's a plan for the front end of a recording signal chain that you will not have to upgrade or start over in the DAW's case:

Computer: 21.5" or more expensive but new model 27" iMac
Interface: Apogee Duet2 or RME Babyface- 2-channels of pristine. (Apogee is built & programmed for complete Mac compatibility - best stability. Look at USED! Avoid the popular entry-level Focusrite Scarlett Series! Lousy mic pre's)
DAW: Logic Pro X (Check w/ Apple for Logic trainers in your area. They'll help a lot!
Storage: Glyph 1-2T external Mac Formatted HD's - Don't store your projects on your computer
Treatment: DIY portable 4"x2'x4' OC 703 broadband absorbers. Don't spend a dime on recording if you're not committed to Room Treatment, axel. Start with 4 & add what you need as you learn.

NOTE: I was always a Windows man until I got into DAW recording. The constant upgrading in Windows makes it less stable than Mac's, IMO, especially compared with the Mac-Apogee-Logic Pro combo. Avid's PT people told me that time & time again trying the fix it. I had lotsa crashes in Windows & ZERO in Mac. Nuff sed!! YMMV.

Audition pair's of mid-range SDC's for stereo guitar recording & LDC condenser's for vocals - look at USED! Audition decent monitors (Adams & Neumann's are recommended as a starting point). Gotta be able to hear details & not get ear fatigue as is often the case with cheap monitors (under $1,000/pr.) or headphones (AKG Studio Pro 240's or Audio Technica ATH-M50's recommended).

BTW, You MUST audition vocal mic's, b/c all voices are different on the same mic. It must fit your voice. Audition them from Sweetwater, rent from a studio, ask friends to share & return if not working for you.

Add decent cables, mic stands, etc. And it adds up. But this is a doable home recording signal chain that excels & you will have everything you need & much more. Logic Pro's onboard plug-ins, free samples & FX are so good you don't really need externals until your ears become more educated, axel.

You can also find some of the parts USED at AGF or @ gearslutz classifieds. You don't have to buy it all at once, just the Computer, Interface, & DAW, (which MUST be compatible), the External storage HD('s) & the mic's. And soon, treatment.

One thing that most of the people who go with free or cheap DAW's will not tell you is that to move up to the fully-professional, studio grade Logic or Pro Tools, you'll have to start all over in terms of your learning curve & workflows. Do you have that time, axel? Me neither, & I started over w/Logic after first going with cheap versions of ProTools 20 years ago that wasted my time. It took time to start over in Logic Pro! Why do that when for $199 you can start with Logic Pro X with everything you need & no need to upgrade or start over? That's Logic-al to me. And Apple will be around longer than most of the freebies. Somehow, I trust Apple's #1 business model a heckuva lot more than say Reaper's, $60 model for sustainability. Same with R&D investment & the freebies.

What I am suggesting is to buy the gear you need once, Andrew, rather than wasting time & money upgrading from entry-level gear as needed. See?

At least check out my recommendations to see if they're for you, axel. This simple, high quality recording signal chain really works - if you're a beginner or a pro trying to achieve the most quality & consistency in your home recordings. But don't put off the Room Treatment - the biggest factor in achieving those, IMO.

Good Luck, Andrew

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 08-18-2020 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:40 AM

I highly recommend Cakewalk too. I bought Samplitude before Cakewalk became free so I couldn't justify not using the DAW I spent money on because it's like just wasting money. So, I used Samplitude for a couple of years, and it's not bad, but just start using Cakewalk (I needed it for time lapses) and I like it better than Samplitude.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-18-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
NOTE: I was always a Windows man until I got into DAW recording. The constant upgrading in Windows makes it less stable than Mac's, IMO, especially compared with the Mac-Apogee-Logic Pro combo. Avid's PT people told me that time & time again trying the fix it. I had lotsa crashes in Windows & ZERO in Mac. Nuff sed!! YMMV.
This was somewhat true in the past, but not so much any more. Recent Windows versions (8 & 10) had huge improvements in this area. Much more plug-n-play, "just works" and crash-free the past 7-8 years. I can't remember the last time an application brought down my entire computer. So folks should feel comfortable using whichever OS they prefer.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
This was somewhat true in the past, but not so much any more. Recent Windows versions (8 & 10) had huge improvements in this area. Much more plug-n-play, "just works" and crash-free the past 7-8 years. I can't remember the last time an application brought down my entire computer. So folks should feel comfortable using whichever OS they prefer.
When I decided to use Windows I bought a machine and then disabled any possibility of it accessing the net and shut off auto updates. Absolutely no problem with that machine, and I'll do the same for a new Windows 10 box as soon as all the rough spots get worked out.

Anything that needs uploading or updating is done by using a flash drive and Chromebook access to the web.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
When I decided to use Windows I bought a machine and then disabled any possibility of it accessing the net and shut off auto updates. Absolutely no problem with that machine, and I'll do the same for a new Windows 10 box as soon as all the rough spots get worked out.
I do IT for a small business that has over 60 Windows machines, all regularly updated. There isn't a single one that has crashed in the past 3-4 years, or even had any major problems, due to OS issues... heck, due to software issues in general. Just about all our failures now tend to be older hardware giving out. Rough spots? Windows 10 is pretty mature at this point; it's been out for 5 years.

Turning off auto-update can be good, just so the computer doesn't decide it needs to install just as you are starting a project. The rest would be a little over-cautious for me. Do update your system regularly; there are reasons for patches to be released.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I do IT for a small business that has over 60 Windows machines, all regularly updated. There isn't a single one that has crashed in the past 3-4 years, or even had any major problems, due to OS issues... heck, due to software issues in general. Just about all our failures now tend to be older hardware giving out. Rough spots? Windows 10 is pretty mature at this point; it's been out for 5 years.

Turning off auto-update can be good, just so the computer doesn't decide it needs to install just as you are starting a project. The rest would be a little over-cautious for me. Do update your system regularly; there are reasons for patches to be released.
That shows how little attention I pay to Microsoft's con game and updates. My problem (until very recently) is because we live in a remote location and our internet service was VERY SLOW. A Windows auto update was hours long, so it just became a matter of getting a working system and locking out all the stuff that complicated actually using the computer. I actually used to be the assistant IT guy at work, but only about 20 networked machines and a single main server. It was enough of a PITA to check tape backups daily and maintain the main database, as well as field the occasional call from someone who "saved" their latest document work, but had no idea where.

I now have better connectivity but what I have still works fine.

For web surfing, Youtube video transfer, etc. we have Chromebooks and I like them very much.

Last edited by Rudy4; 08-18-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
we live in a remote location and our internet service was VERY SLOW. A Windows auto update was hours long, so it just became a matter of getting a working system and locking out all the stuff that complicated actually using the computer.
Ah, yes. That is a different--but entirely legit--reason! It's just that some brands do manage to improve but have a hard time shaking their reputation. For example, Behringer has upped their game for low-cost music gear but still takes a bad rap.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:35 AM

Daw controllers come in handy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD