The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-15-2020, 10:09 PM

Default Help choosing a DAW

Advice for choosing a DAW? I would mainly be recording real instruments (guitar and other fretted string instruments, drums, piano) and voice but would need something with capacity for recording a MIDI keyboard as well.

I do prefer Windows but am open to Mac.

Function, efficiency, and workflow are more important to me than budget.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:18 AM
Charter Member

This recent thread will give some indication of what people prefer and in some cases why.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=588472

Preference is often based on which DAW people started using and have then become familiar with that DAW. Price is not always an indication that you necessarily get more. I use a free version of Waveform that provides a lot of features short of advances chording and advanced midi generation etc. Reaper also gets a lot of support from experienced users and is reasonably priced.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 08-16-2020, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelorox View Post
Advice for choosing a DAW? I would mainly be recording real instruments (guitar and other fretted string instruments, drums, piano) and voice but would need something with capacity for recording a MIDI keyboard as well.

I do prefer Windows but am open to Mac

Please clarify
Not quite clear on what "prefer Windows but am open to Mac" means , do you currently have both a Windows and Mac computers , or are you talking about getting a new computer as well as DAW software ?
Most DAW software (with a couple exceptions ) support both Windows or Mac operating platforms (just a matter of downloading the correct OS version) . And most DAWs support midi.

Also keep in mind for best "function and efficiency" of soliciting suggestions, best practice is alway to list a realistic practical working budget range. As well as what recording items you already have (like for example computer and interface, mics etc. ?) .

At the very least to do what you are talking about you will need A computer, an interface, and a mic, (probably 2 mic's ) and stands . Also if serious about recording (even as a hobby) room treatment.

One can get into DAW recording for as little as say $200 to $500 ,,,,OR one can easily spend $2000 to $5000 and up on a single recording item (like a sing mic or an interface) in reality budget is a definite factor to be considered and base suggestions on.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 08-16-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:

I do prefer Windows but am open to Mac.

You open with recording "real instruments...guitar and fretted string instruments" which everything DAW can do and many beginners can get decent results with minimal expense with typical instruments, and then move on to drums (to my mind the most difficult acoustic instruments to record well is a drum set) and then finish with MIDI keyboard, which implies you are going to have your DAW hosting MIDI "virtual instruments" that'll be what is making the sounds.

You mention nothing about expectations of quality, budget limits, your recording space, and your level of experience and dedication. These factors are going to be so important in reaching what I can gather is your goal that the choice of the DAW fades into the background. Sorry to refocus your question, but that's how I see it from what little we know so far.

The other thread already linked should give you some idea of how others have chosen here in regards to software. And don't let what I wrote above discourage you. I love recording, even at my lower level of achievement and mastery.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-16-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
When you say recording MIDI, do you just mean the line-level analog output of the keyboard, or the actual MIDI data so you can tinker with it later? Most of the full-featured DAWs (Logic, ProTools, Reaper, Cakewalk, even Garageband) have the capability to record MIDI data, but some (e.g. Audacity) can't.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Please clarify
Not quite clear on what "prefer Windows but am open to Mac" means , do you currently have both a Windows and Mac computers , or are you talking about getting a new computer as well as DAW software ?
Most DAW software (with a couple exceptions ) support both Windows or Mac operating platforms (just a matter of downloading the correct OS version) . And most DAWs support midi.

Also keep in mind for best "function and efficiency" of soliciting suggestions, best practice is alway to list a realistic practical working budget range. As well as what recording items you already have (like for example computer and interface, mics etc. ?) .

At the very least to do what you are talking about you will need A computer, an interface, and a mic, (probably 2 mic's ) and stands . Also if serious about recording (even as a hobby) room treatment.

One can get into DAW recording for as little as say $200 to $500 ,,,,OR one can easily spend $2000 to $5000 and up on a single recording item (like a sing mic or an interface) in reality budget is a definite factor to be considered and base suggestions on.
I would need to get a new computer as well. So far for work I've used low power Chromebooks... fine for Internet access but not useful for anything else. Hence why I am asking about a DAW early in the process without having figured out so much other details of gear or space yet (though I have done some investigation into these already as well), since I would like to get an idea of the better DAW options for my goals out there and order/build a compute accordingly.

Probably not ready to spend something like $5,000 on any single item yet, but overall can spend several thousands. For now I'm just looking to get started with recording acoustic guitar and vocals, but for stuff like DAW and console want something that would allow me to expand to the other instruments I mentioned in the future. For me it's hard to think of a budget off the top of my head without knowing extensively what options are out there. I work more by seeing what's available and then deciding what I'm willing to spend. But I do appreciate your suggestions very much! I'll be posting threads about the other aspects you mentioned as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
When you say recording MIDI, do you just mean the line-level analog output of the keyboard, or the actual MIDI data so you can tinker with it later? Most of the full-featured DAWs (Logic, ProTools, Reaper, Cakewalk, even Garageband) have the capability to record MIDI data, but some (e.g. Audacity) can't.
I was referring to MIDI data, mainly for things like strings or horn parts that I can't actually play.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I was referring to MIDI data, mainly for things like strings or horn parts that I can't actually play.
Good to know, as using virtual instruments does affect the computer you'll want. You want more processor and RAM for that.

For the computer, I'd go for something with at least 16GB RAM and a latest-generation i7 or Ryzen 7 processor. Lots of desktop options there either side of $1000; you'll pay a bit more to bump to 32G RAM to future-proof it a bit, or for a laptop. I wouldn't sweat the detailed specs, pretty much any modern machine with plenty of RAM and a good processor will do you fine. Oh, do make sure it has SSD for the disk. If it's a small SSD (less than 512GB) make sure it has another disk for data storage, or buy an external hard drive to go with.

Then, as noted, DAW simply comes down to your preferred workflow. Check out that other thread, and download trial versions to see what you like. (Of course, that means you need to buy the computer--and make a Windows vs Mac decision--first, I guess.) Any of the top 5 listed in that thread (ProTools, Logic, Reaper, Cakewalk, Studio One) will be able to do everything you need.

Just to touch on the interface, you can go anywhere from $100-150 (e.g. Focusrite Scarlett with 1-2 inputs) on up. The biggest consideration is how many simultaneous inputs you'll need. You might want to budget $300 (SSL 2 or Audient ID14) on up to $900 (UA Apollo Twin or RME Babyface) if you want a bit better than "starter quality", although even the least expensive interfaces these days can provide very good results.

If I were starting from scratch right now, I'd get a Windows 10 desktop with 32G RAM, i7 processor and 1TB SSD, around $1200; SSL2+ or Audient ID14 interface, just under $300; and Reaper for $60.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Good to know, as using virtual instruments does affect the computer you'll want. You want more processor and RAM for that.

For the computer, I'd go for something with at least 16GB RAM and a latest-generation i7 or Ryzen 7 processor. Lots of desktop options there either side of $1000; you'll pay a bit more to bump to 32G RAM to future-proof it a bit, or for a laptop. I wouldn't sweat the detailed specs, pretty much any modern machine with plenty of RAM and a good processor will do you fine. Oh, do make sure it has SSD for the disk. If it's a small SSD (less than 512GB) make sure it has another disk for data storage, or buy an external hard drive to go with.
Thank you for the computer tips. What makes a SSD better than HDD for this purpose?
Old 08-16-2020, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

As others have noted virtually every full featured DAW will do what you are indicating.

Even though I am a Mac guy I would tend to agree with Chipotle (If your looking for a dedicated music computer and are not necessarily needing portability). If you prefer Windows, a PC desktop will likely give you more bang for the buck up into the to upper mid range performance wise, over a Mac. The only full featured DAW that would not run on a PC, is Logic .BUT there are many great DAWs that will, including at the low price point , (but not laking features) is Reaper and then things like Studio One with its very convenient drag and drop features.

And I wouldn't hesitate 32 GB RAM and at least an i7 or i9 even, and definitely a 512 BG SSD boot drive and a 1 TB SSD storage drive, in fact If a desk top I would go to internal PCIe SSD storage drive. Two advantages of SSD one more reliable not having a spinning physical disk and perhaps more important exponentially faster data transfer speeds.

Interface ? Decide on the total number of simultaneous analog inputs you might need . Myself I would opt for 4 which would allow you record a stereo pair of mics on guitar, and a vocal mic (3 total) at the same time

You mention console which I am guessing you mean an outboard physical mixer. But in todays digital world with the DAW providing a virtual mixer ,,myself I don't see using a mixer (Unless) I was intending to record groups of multiple players at the same time .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 08-16-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
What makes a SSD better than HDD for this purpose?
Speed. For storage, you don't need a lot of speed. For recording, you do.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-16-2020, 12:41 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I just record guitar, but I do most of my recording with a portable Zoom H5. I don't want to be locked into recording in my computer room and be restricted by the location of the computer.

My Zoom H5 is mounted one of my mic stands on an added on attachment to the stand.

The Zoom H5 might not be advanced enough for you, but maybe something portable is what you need.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-16-2020, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

I would suggest downloading some demos and trying them out, most of the DAWs have this option I think.

if you are on a Mac I personally like Logic alot. At $200 it is a good price, the quick swipe comping is great. I don't do much midi but Logic seems well regarded in that regard, I see alot of game/film composers using it. The included synths are quite nice from what I hear.

I think Studio One is nice too, i played with the demo a bit. Just not enough to make me switch from Logic.

On Windows I know alot of folks like Cubase.

The one thing I like about Logic, and I don't know if other DAWs have this feature, is the ability to turn off quick swipe comping mode while you are comping together different takes. So the quick swipe comping works great if you are recording to a click or all your takes are perfectly lined up time wise. For solo guitar, i dont record to a click. So it is great to be able to slice and move parts of the various comps left or right so everything lines up time wise, while still being in comp mode. Probably easier explained in a video than in words. Anyways, i don't recall seeing that option in other DAWs, but I could be wrong
Old 08-16-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the computer tips. What makes a SSD better than HDD for this purpose?
SSD (solid state drive) will be much faster than HDD (hard disk drive), for booting up, starting applications and loading large files, like VST instruments. DC Cougar is correct that the difference is speed, but I think the reasoning is the other way around--HDD is plenty fast enough to read/write audio, but SSD shines when you are pulling large files off the disk like at startup or loading VSTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind
The only full featured DAW that would run on a PC is Logic
Did you mean to say "would NOT"? Logic is Mac only.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Did you mean to say "would NOT"? Logic is Mac only.
Oppps !! yes "not" run on PC I'll go edit it, thanks

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 08-16-2020, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

There are a couple factors to consider in choosing a daw.

1. Do you know anyone using a particular daw on whom you can depend to help you when you're a bit lost? This was probably more critical 20 years ago when I started because online resources were few and far between, but I think it is still something to factor into this decision. Having someone around who can troubleshoot problems and give you individual attention would be a big plus.

2. Are you tech savvy enough to get by with minimal help or do you think you'll need more education than you can get from YouTube videos. You can find some selection of videos on most daws. The selection for the more popular daws will be more plentiful but those won't be enough for every user. If you think you'll need more formal education, you might want to research what courses are available online that can help you get up to speed more quickly.

I don't know how far down this well you've gone but if you haven't explored all the daw options, I'd suggest spending some time on YouTude looking at tutorial videos so you can get a sense of how each works and get a sense of how intuitive each is to how your brain works. As you're watching, makes lists of what you like or don't like about each daw. That will help you make an educated decision in the end.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD