The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 12-22-2019, 12:17 PM

Default Martin OM-18 Authentic 1933 w/ OHSC - SOLD (NEW PHOTOS and REVISED TRADES!)

Hi folks,

I'm selling this wonderful Martin OM-18 Authentic. It's the first year they did the VTS tops on these, not super glossy finish. Amazing guitar, fantastic sound, etc. After about two years playing electric guitar again, I'm finding the neck shape and scale length doesn't work as well for me as it used to. I never intended to sell this one but I really can't justify buying something else I will play more frequently before letting it go. It also doesn't make sense to keep it in the case for the next few decades only taking it out on occasion to admire it.

This guitar really was the best sounding Martin I could find when I bought it. I used to go to the Maritn Factory and play what was in their little boutique playroom and I'm pretty sure I played every Martin on the floor at Mandolin Bros when they were still open and this guitar is at the top of the heap for tone.

Another anecdote is that I brought this one into a local boutique guitar shop where the owner keeps an actual 1934 OM-18 out on the floor. He played this one side-by-side with his and said, "Wow, that's about as close as you are going to get with a new guitar." Then he wanted to buy it from me to have it next to him in the shop!

The guitar is in very good shape overall. It's been humidified and in a non-smoking household. It stays in the case whenever it is not out to be player or maintained.

The two imperfections are there is a small indent from the case latch on the top. It's not significant, but noticeable in the light. It's about 1/8th of an inch (estimated), so very small. It's on the edge of the top on the lower side. Also, the guitar has some finished checking (according to someone who I had to check it out) that runs near the nut on both sides of the neck near where the fretboard and mahogany neck meet. There is no separation or anything. You can't feel it but you can see it. I will get better photos of this once I can get it in more direct light.

The action is a strummer's medium right now. I believe it's around 5-6/64ths on the lower E and 4-5/64ths on the high e at the 12th fret.

I'm relisting this and lowering the price to $old. I'm looking to do a local deal in the New Jersey area as I would prefer someone to put their hands on the guitar in case I missed anything.

I'm actively looking for a Kent Chasson Classic Spruce Top Short Scale, if one exists even, which I would likely add some cash to even out.

I would also be open to a Martin 00-18 UMGF, Martin 00 Short Scale, Santa Cruz 00 short scale, Santa Cruz 00-Skye, Santa Cruz OM/PW Short Scale, 12 Fret Short Scale Taylor or R Taylor, R Taylor Grand Concert Size, Fender American Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (2012 and up), Custom Shop Stratocaster, Original 60s Stratocaster, Gibson Historic ES-335, Gibson Les Paul Historic, Eastman e20oo, David Webber 00, 000, or OM short scale etc. Only looking for acoustic guitars that are OM/000 or smaller and short scale 24.9 - 25 inches or less and prefer 1.75 inch nut width on acoustics.

I can add cash on my side and vice versa.

Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited by Backpocketnj; 11-01-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:57 PM

Bump - replied too all PMs. Thanks
Old 12-26-2019, 02:04 PM

Bump - all PMs replied again
Old 12-29-2019, 08:23 PM

Bump - open to trades/partial trades as well
Old 12-30-2019, 07:00 AM

These are absolutely amazing guitars. I have the non VTS version (the one with the super glossy finish) and it is unlike anything I have ever played. I took it in to my luthier last week, a well respected shop in the far west suburbs of Chicago, and when he picked it up he laughed at how light it was. Playing an OM-18A is special experience and good luck with the sale. This one is nicely priced.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darfaz View Post
These are absolutely amazing guitars. I have the non VTS version (the one with the super glossy finish) and it is unlike anything I have ever played. I took it in to my luthier last week, a well respected shop in the far west suburbs of Chicago, and when he picked it up he laughed at how light it was. Playing an OM-18A is special experience and good luck with the sale. This one is nicely priced.
Yeah, these are great guitars. It's crazy light. You can really feel the quality in your hands. I wish I was into guitars this size and this scale length still. I just need something a bit smaller.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:32 PM

To the top - open to local trades, partial trades on things as well.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:28 AM

Bumping up to relist for sale again.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

PM sent to your box
Old 05-13-2020, 10:39 AM

All PMs replied up to this point. Thanks for all the interest.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Wink

That appears to be delamination at the nut, not checking. It's harmless, & only cosmetic, just where some air got in between the finish & the wood. Wonderful guitar, some of the nicest straight-grain mahogany I've ever seen! GLWS!
Steve
Old 05-13-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
That appears to be delamination at the nut, not checking. It's harmless, & only cosmetic, just where some air got in between the finish & the wood. Wonderful guitar, some of the nicest straight-grain mahogany I've ever seen! GLWS!
Steve
Ah, you are likely right! My local guitar guru was talking through a lot of that stuff when he took a look at it. I don't think I really knew there was a difference honestly!

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2020, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

You don't find these at this price. These are really great guitars. Someone should make a move. Pronto!
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 05-13-2020, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
You don't find these at this price. These are really great guitars. Someone should make a move. Pronto!
Agreed. Not only is the back top notch mahogany, but the burst job on this one is to die for! And it's the VTS version. I made a trade offer & was refused, & I have no cash, so I'm out of options. Next?
Steve

Last edited by Stevien; 05-13-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:35 AM

Updated trade section.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars