The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Suggestions for Mac & Mic for simple videos

Yes, I'm using the search and finding a TON of posts about this subject. Too many in fact and most tend to have variables beyond my needs. And while I keep looking and researching, I thought I'd hit up the folks here for some simple suggestions.

Here's what I/we have, what we do, and where we want to go:

Acoustic duo - husband on guitar, wife on vocals. Covers and originals. I've made some YouTube videos just recording on my Android cell phone with predictable results. Not bad for what it is, but certainly not that great either.

I'm not looking for awesomeness, just the ability to make some better videos with better audio recording to put up on YouTube to use as fodder for gig shopping. We do this for fun, so not looking to spend much though don't mind spending a few clams to get a decent sound. Basically, looking for best bang for the buck.

We have a nice Carvin AG200 amp, she has a nice vocal microphone and I have a few really nice K&K equipped guitars. Our tone/sound coming out of the amp is excellent. Capturing that along with video of us playing is all I want. I recently picked up a Macbook Air. Yes, I know a Macbook Pro would be better.

So mostly, I'm assuming I just need a decent mic to mic the amp while I record us onto the Mac. If I'm wrong, tell me. Otherwise I'm looking for suggestions for the easiest, fastest and relatively cheapest route to a quality video with decent audio to post to YouTube.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Yes, I'm using the search and finding a TON of posts about this subject. Too many in fact and most tend to have variables beyond my needs. And while I keep looking and researching, I thought I'd hit up the folks here for some simple suggestions.

Here's what I/we have, what we do, and where we want to go:

Acoustic duo - husband on guitar, wife on vocals. Covers and originals. I've made some YouTube videos just recording on my Android cell phone with predictable results. Not bad for what it is, but certainly not that great either.

I'm not looking for awesomeness, just the ability to make some better videos with better audio recording to put up on YouTube to use as fodder for gig shopping. We do this for fun, so not looking to spend much though don't mind spending a few clams to get a decent sound. Basically, looking for best bang for the buck.

We have a nice Carvin AG200 amp, she has a nice vocal microphone and I have a few really nice K&K equipped guitars. Our tone/sound coming out of the amp is excellent. Capturing that along with video of us playing is all I want. I recently picked up a Macbook Air. Yes, I know a Macbook Pro would be better.

So mostly, I'm assuming I just need a decent mic to mic the amp while I record us onto the Mac. If I'm wrong, tell me. Otherwise I'm looking for suggestions for the easiest, fastest and relatively cheapest route to a quality video with decent audio to post to YouTube.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I'm really impressed with my bandmate's new Zoom Q2n recorder. Here's a video he did with it a few days ago:

You would simply aim it at yourselves and wouldn't need the Mac. He's head over heels with it, and claims it's easy to use. I have to step away for a bit, but I'll come back to this thread with more "Mac" suggestions asap, thx!
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 02-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

I'm guessing your bandmate is a Beatles fan? (Assuming that's his home he's playing in!)

Yes, I just spent a lot of time over at the Home Brewed Music website and a standalone video recorder like that might just be the way to go. It would have the added benefit of being able to be used when we play shows out as well.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

My pleasure! Now get to work so we can see what you come up with.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 02-11-2017, 10:29 AM

I use a combination of the
Shure m57
Shure MOTIV 57
and recently I got a a small Rode VideoMIC ME which I like.

THe video I just posted is the sound picked up from both the amp on the floor and the singing, playing - its connected to an iphone and then an ipad is further back for the visual - no sound. What I like about the rode device is you can keep your iphone plugged in - its just plug and play...

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=459496

Harriet
Old 02-11-2017, 10:31 PM

Default Suggestions for Mac & Mic for simple videos

For straight forward ease of use and good results (in good lightning conditions), I'd get me a GoPro or two, tree of them and tripods/ smart attachments. That way you'd get more interesting videos to watch. E.g. Cam1. Double shot. Cam2. Wife, Cam3 Husbonds guitar pow, and stick Cam4 on the audience or family cat or whatever for added ambience. Some warm spotlights will elevate things nicely. Ok, a bit more than you asked for maybe, sorry.. but a little extra will separate you from so many of these videoes.

I know of the above mention Zoom camera, as I have shot a music video with it. I would give it a miss, as the lens light sensibility is poor and inferior to a GoPro. I'd even consider a more expensive SLR camera. That's is what I plan to get in the near future. Nothing beats a light sensitive lens and YouTube is packed with DIY evidence of the opposite.

As for sound I'd get a good condenser mic and place it to catch that live sound you have been working to achieve. Easiest and best done with a top field recorder like Tascam/Sony. (Some models come with good sensitive mics). You are then liberated from the computer until editing. I'd consider a field recorder a better investment that'll last way longer, indipendent of any drivers and OS' that comes and goes.

Alternatively you could get an Apogee One on a tripod. It's got a build in condenser mic that is surprisingly good for what it is. You've get the sound into the Mac easy and video to work with in e.g. iMovie (it's very easy and you'd get good results with your footage), just stay away from the cheesy transitions effects ;-)

Making video can be fun, especially when you've got a good song people want to hear.

Good luck
NB. Please show us what you made and tell what you made it with.

Martin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Northward; 02-12-2017 at 09:22 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD