The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-30-2020, 04:03 PM

“That” version isn’t “this” one. Things change. I have accepted that what I liked then might not always be what I like now. I have recordings of some of my songs that go all the way back to the early 1990s. I have decided that it’s perfectly fine for things to evolve. Ultimately I am the one who needs to be happy.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:48 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Doug, I appreciate these wise words:
Quote:
Someone told me a long time ago that a recording is milestone, a snapshot of time. You really should be able to look back at old recordings and feel they aren't good enough, because hopefully you've progressed since then. There's always a tradeoff between waiting and working on a piece to get it perfect, vs recording the way you play it and moving on.
Thanks.

Rick-Slo,thanks for the reminder:
Quote:
Normally you would play a tune
differently depending on tempo. A slower tempo with more emotive, phrasing sensitivity and a faster tempo with a forward driven
steady beat. So depending on how you play the "best" tempo may vary.
Frank, so true, so ture. Thanks.
Quote:
Yeah, that's the thing with recordings. They sit there and are objective vs. our sense while we're on the other side of the guitar playing and whatever mood we were in one day. They're unforgiving, so we have to forgive ourselves.
Thanks Gordon. Must remember this, and that engineering requires a different skill set than playing and practice always helps.
Quote:
I'll just add that there is no law that says you can only do one recording.
Quote:
Sonic Dysmorphia
Mbroady, like this a lot!

Rudy4, so much good advice here. I'm especially drawn to
Quote:
I do all of this so I can notate the BPM on my lyrics or written notes so I don't have to figure it all out later.
and
Quote:
If you play a song or tune for a long time you're going to naturally change it up a bit. Re-do it if you later feel you can do a better version.
Thanks.

Rod--I MUST remember this
Quote:
Enjoy the journey.
Keywind, regarding
Quote:
So I often just play at different tempos until I find what I like then I turn on the Met. and adjust it to match the tempo I am liking for how I am playing the song that day . Which in turn gives me the BPM's and I can then just adjust the click in the DAW to that BPM , when recording
I can do the same exercise on different days and see how close my urge to play at certain tempos is over time. I might be more consistent than I think!

keith.rogers
Quote:
I really try not to spend much time thinking about decisions made on things I can't change. The trick is having the patience (extremely lacking in my case) to listen to something you're currently working on over a few days, and make adjustments before it's published. Once it's out the door, eh, what's done is done...
Yeah, once out the door, the setting in stone enters in.

min7b5 (what a great name by the way), this is helpful
Quote:
Regarding tempo, what my process usually looks like is over months I make a lot of quick recordings of the tunes just on my iphone with a click while saying out loud something like “88 bpm,” and then later on my morning walk, when I’m away from the guitar, I’ll listen back and write down what I thought.
gwlee7, thanks for this:
Quote:
I have decided that it’s perfectly fine for things to evolve. Ultimately I am the one who needs to be happy.
So much wisdom here. Thanks everybody.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 09-03-2020, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
So, my stumbling block right now is tempo. I've recorded other albums and years later I think, why did I play this so slow, or why did I play this so fast. Of course there are other "why did" questions, but right now I'm focusing on tempo.
I'm recording with Logic as my DAW, and I know there are ways to slow down or speed up a piece after the fact, but unwanted artifacts enter in.

Any help for getting over this "setting in stone"issue? Thanks.
... posted in error.

Last edited by Tico; 09-06-2020 at 02:55 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD