The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-18-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I wonder if the gain issue with the 2i4 is because it is USB powered? IF your computer's USB isn't up to the current challenge, it would be taxed to provide consistent 48v phantom power. One of the reasons I chose the 8i6 was its (wallwart) power.
I don't think so. My larger Focusrite interfaces (AC power) often need to be at 3 O'clock or so too.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-18-2020, 05:10 PM

I have the 2i2 (3rd gen) and love it. For whatever reason, I'm not having the gain issues that Chipotle and TBMan report. I've been recording my guitar using two AT2035 LDC mics in an x-y array (positioned a foot from the neck / body joint) with the Focusrite pres set at 10 o'clock and get a perfectly usable level going into Logic Pro. That's playing fingerstyle with a Huss & Dalton OM-C. The "Air" setting on the preamps do a good job of adding clarity to the 2035s, which can be overly warm otherwise. If a meteorite came crashing through our window and took out the 2i2, I'd get another one in a hamster's heartbeat.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:15 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent in WA View Post
I have the 2i2 (3rd gen) and love it. For whatever reason, I'm not having the gain issues that Chipotle and TBMan report. I've been recording my guitar using two AT2035 LDC mics in an x-y array (positioned a foot from the neck / body joint) with the Focusrite pres set at 10 o'clock and get a perfectly usable level going into Logic Pro. That's playing fingerstyle with a Huss & Dalton OM-C. The "Air" setting on the preamps do a good job of adding clarity to the 2035s, which can be overly warm otherwise. If a meteorite came crashing through our window and took out the 2i2, I'd get another one in a hamster's heartbeat.
I wonder if I have 3rd generation. I have the same mics.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-18-2020, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

I've got the baby version - the Scarlett Solo.

It's my first ever USB interface, and I'm delighted with it. Installation and setup was almost trivially easy - I'm running an AT2021 into the mic input, and the output from a beloved Yamaha DG-Stomp modeler into the guitar input.

Acoustic and electric guitar covered, easily. I'd gladly consider Focusrite in the future should I ever feel the need to upgrade - right now, this setup is way more capable than me
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-18-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I wonder if I have 3rd generation. I have the same mics.
I found this page that tells you by the serial number.. but mine actually says "Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen" on the bottom in plain English.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:20 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I found this page that tells you by the serial number.. but mine actually says "Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen" on the bottom in plain English.
Thanks, mine is 2nd generation. I don't use it enough to upgrade though.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-19-2020, 10:53 AM

My Scarlett 3rd Gen - I have an AKG P220 and an MXL multi-pattern (on cardiod pattern) hooked up at the same time. The AKG needs slightly less gain, but with both at 12 o'clock, 18-24" away, the indicator lights will just go into the yellow/orange on my hardest strumming.

Usually when people say they have to turn the gain way up, its because they are trying to track too loud. Anywhere in the -20 to -12 dBFS range is fine.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-27-2020, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

I have the 2i2 3g... used it a few times with two mics: an AudioTechnica condensor to pick up guitar, and a separate vocal mic (SM58).

It did a decent job. Here is an example.

I still have it, and have only used it a half dozen times. I ended up using my Apogee MiC more.... just simpler to attach to a phone, get video and audio, and then adda a track or two in garageband afterwards.

So I am not using mine... but not because its bad; rather because I got lazy. It sits getting dust along with the condenser I bought to use with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD