The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 PM

Default Suggestions on mic placement?

Hey guys,
I am still somewhat new to recording, and was just wondering where the best place for the mic is when recording acoustic guitar? I use both 6 and 12-string guitars(one at a time) should the placement change for these different instruments? Where is the best place for each?
Thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:56 PM

wear headphones and place one mic about 6" from the fretboard at the 12th fret, straight out. if you have a second mic, place it below the soundhole about 12" out. these are just starting points. now move each one, while listening individually, until you get the best sounding setup. make sure to listen to both, together, for your final sound and to make sure there is no phase problem.

it is quite a bit of experimentation for each guitar as they will sound different.

have fun!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

Last edited by muscmp; 01-12-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: duplicate wording
Old 01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

A billion pages of detailed info on this on the internet. Look for it.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinW View Post
Hey guys,
I am still somewhat new to recording, and was just wondering where the best place for the mic is when recording acoustic guitar? I use both 6 and 12-string guitars(one at a time) should the placement change for these different instruments? Where is the best place for each?
Thanks!
Hi Collin…
If it's a single uni-directional mic you will get good results from being 14-18'' out from the neck/body joint aimed straight at the joint.

If you have a pair, you can split them and aim one at the neck body joint and the other at the lower bout below the bridge. If the mics are 12'' from the neck the spread should be 36'' (3 feet) to avoid phase issues.

Or you could do an ORTF pattern from the middle about 14-18'' from the soundhole aimed like this…

or in an X/Y pattern like this again about 14-18'' out

Omni directional mics fare well close to the guitar (under a foot), but uni-directional mics need to be a minimum of a foot away to avoid a pronounced lower mid range boost (unpleasant muddy bump)

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinW View Post
Hey guys,
Thanks!
More info please 1 mic or 2 and what kind/make , preamp what kind or direct into computer ? The "wear headphones" suggestion is a good one listen and try all over and around the lower neck and the entire body of the gtr.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Standard mic positions to the front of the guitar never work too well for me in my (untreated) recording space. A (hypercardioid) head mic does though - ie a position somewhere near your head aimed down at the guitar body. I suspect the reason for this is that, with a hypercardioid pattern, it takes more of the room out of the equation. A standard placement looking along a horizontal axis will pick up more of whatever is bouncing off the walls.

The secret is to experiment with lots of different positions and techniques. And don't forget to consider room treatment. Nobody thinks it matters at first - that's just for experts, right? - but it really does.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD