The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-01-2010, 08:54 PM

Default Subway Blues

Hello All,

This week I am obtaining the proper permit from the CTA to play in the subways here in Chicago. They seem to not only provide a warm(ish), acoustically inclined environment to play but also have a revolving listener base. I will be playing mostly blues based instrumentals on my acoustic, pretty excited to hear her sing in the tunnels!

I am concerned about the temperature changes my acoustic will be seeing going from a warm, lined hardcase to around 35-45F. If anyone has any tips regarding procedure to minimize the impact of the temperature change I would greatly appreciate the input! Also, any specific strings that fare well in outdoor environments or have an exceptionally bright range?

Thanks in advance!!

www.bryanedward.bandcamp.com
Old 12-02-2010, 08:45 AM

I wish i could give some input here Bryan but it's just so darned hot here, Anyways, I was just listening to you singing "I wanna be there", and I gotta say bro...terrific stuff, I wish I could sing like you man. All the best...Neil
Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 AM

Hi Bryan:

I have friends who play in northern subways. They don't seem to do anything special - they use the same guitar & strings that they use elsewhere. Sometimes they wear fingerless gloves.

Enjoy the busking!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:21 AM

Thanks Neil, its the microphone!

We won't be seeing heat here for awhile, does anyone offer a "guitar sock" to keep the instrument warm? Anyone interested in helping develop one?!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:21 AM

I would just bring the backup/beater guitar (i.e., the one you bring camping). I don't imagine the sonic difference would be too impactful in a crowded subway corridor, and it relieves you from worrying about it.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:40 PM

Considered it but my best would be considered laughable around here! Not bringing a Liberty or a D-28 or anything crazy, just don't want to ruin what I do have. The subways don't get too overcrowded and I feel the difference would be noticeable while trying to reach and influence the ears of those at the top of the stairs or down the tunnel. I know there are acclimation periods involved so the guitar doesn't get hit with rapid warmth/cold, just seeing if anyone has any horror stories and how to avoid it!

Theft is also another supporting fact for bringing a beater, which may very well be the best option in the end!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD