The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-16-2010, 12:46 PM

Default Synthesizer to add body?

I've always wanted to dabble with a keyboard synthesizer to add dimension to acoustic guitar creations. Mostly, as a background filler to add some fullness and subtle accompaniment.

Can someone with experience shed light on how to get this done without breaking the bank? What is the learning curve? Is prior keyboard expertise required?
Old 07-16-2010, 01:08 PM

It's pretty fun to add keyboard, I think, and it is a nice way to "add body", like you say. I bought a keyboard quite a while ago. It was pretty expensive, but I think the price has gone done on a lot of decent things the past few years. I would suggest full-size keys and as many octaves as you can afford/have room for.

If you have enough theory to know the notes of chords, it should be not too difficult to come up with some nice things (well, playing it is different than guitar, of course). But like with "strings" or something like that kind of sound - one or two fingers at a time seems full enough, mostly.

The nice thing - those things come with a sort of "built-in-capo"... you can usually lower or raise the pitch by half-steps (mine goes an octave either way). So if you get used to a few keys (like C, G, D and A), you don't have to worry about extreme sharps/flats if you capo your guitar and are really playing in something like C# - just raise the keyboard a step and play in C.

It is fun.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 07-16-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLSPRIG View Post
I've always wanted to dabble with a keyboard synthesizer to add dimension to acoustic guitar creations. Mostly, as a background filler to add some fullness and subtle accompaniment.

Can someone with experience shed light on how to get this done without breaking the bank? What is the learning curve? Is prior keyboard expertise required?
Tell us what you already have as far as recording stuff goes. You can get
a small keyboard like an Oxygen 8, a software synth or two and you're off.

I don't think prior eyboard experience is necessary as long as you understand
music a bit.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:57 PM

A synth without breaking the bank?
Waldorf Blofeld might do the trick. Maybe a MicroKorg.
If you REALLY don't want to break the bank, use a digital synthesiser. I do this too, to add some 'distance' and remove that somewhat cosy sound you can get sometimes with recordings. It's the same as what most American music producers do - they use string ensembles to fill up that space.

JMTC
Old 07-17-2010, 04:36 AM

Kotaro Oshio uses this on some of his fingerstyle pieces to subtle effect... the airy kind of synth pad sound..
Old 07-17-2010, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

I use a midi keyboard controller on some of my recordings and have several sample options with my set up. One example is the instrumental song "Wild Wide Open" on my myspace page in my sig line. There is a string orchestra and an Indian flute both triggered from the key board. No prior keyboard experience here i just hunt and peck until I like the sound and editing with midi is quite easy.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-17-2010, 02:42 PM

Here's a little example with two VSTi synths and my guitar with some missed and bum notes.
http://www.box.net/shared/bfxkii17zx
Old 07-19-2010, 11:28 AM

Cue,

That file you linked me to is very similar to what I want to do. While you admittedly fumbled the ball a few times (no offense) - the overall effect is there, and is good. imo

thanks a bunch

As to my recording equipment, well that is another area of focus I should probably address first. I have virtually nothing to record with. I need to take a deep breath and take care of that first, obviously.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:06 PM

No offence taken, I was just too lazy to get it perfect as it was just a demonstration.
It is nothing I'm working on - perhaps I should.
I recorded my guitar with just one Oktava MK-012 through my E-MU 0404 USB. The 012 is about as cheap as I would want to go for a microphone. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:58 AM

Its best to start out with software synthesizers mainly because you can get very good ones that are free such as Synth1. This way you get to learn the mechanics of simple subtractive synthesis without having to spend any money (yet).

You do not need a keyboard controller although I do recommend one at some point because its key to expressive play (velocity/pressure sensitivity and vibrato on command).

If you don't want to spend money on a keyboard yet you can sequence the arrangements you want to play. Most MIDI keyboard controllers are not built very well and don't have very nice key action. I'd say M-Audio's Axiom range is about as good as non weighted action gets without buying a synthesizer keyboard but the buttons, knobs and sliders are pretty cheap and the chasis is plastic.

You can get nicer synthesizer/keyboard combos that can be used as MIDI controllers but the good ones tend to cost alot of money so its not worth it unless you want the synth that goes with the keys.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:34 AM

Here's what you can do on a Mac with PTLE and their included Hybrid soft instruments.

Check out "Dead People" here: http://www.myspace.com/tyfordmusic

I forget. I think there are 3-4 tracks under the guitar and vocals. I did it as an experiment and came to like what it did. No word from folkie purists yet.

Regards,

Ty
Old 07-30-2010, 07:11 AM

Look for a used GR-33 or similar Roland guitar synth on E-Bay. They work great for recording. I have no idea what they're going for now, but you might want to take a look.

I used to use one live to play bass along with my guitar, but the only person who noticed or cared was me and I got tired of the additional setup time.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:35 PM

thanks for all the ideas.

i found one of these for around 300-400 dollars U.S. online. looks like it does about everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zozAK...eature=related

surprising they sell that cheap (compared to what a synth used to sell for $$$$$$)
Old 08-05-2010, 06:45 AM

Ya know, I forgot someone told me recently that moog has a guitar front ended thing.

http://www.moogmusic.com/moogguitar/

Regards,

Ty Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD